Council tax

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Correct
Now go to section 4 and read:-

4. Empty properties
Some empty properties are exempt from council tax – for example, if the property is left empty by someone who has moved into hospital or a care home, or gone to receive or provide care because of a disability or illness. However, most properties that are unoccupied for two years or more don’t qualify for a discount. They may even face a 50% increase in council tax, depending on the local council.

If all the people living in a property are disregarded, but no exemption applies, the property will be treated as if it is empty. Under these circumstances, the property would usually attract a charge of 50% of the full council tax. The local council will provide details of charges for the property.

Under new localised support schemes (see ‘Support with council tax’ below), many local authorities have changed the rules for how these exemptions apply, depending on why the property is not occupied. The council tax department in the local council should be able to advise on any discounts.
Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hi thanks I'm going to seek advice later this week but not from the,I was just looking on another site,that were the Alz society says that some LA employees are either confused or haven't been trained very well and are confusing some exemptions with means tested benefits

I agree that some LA employees don't seem to understand the differences between discounts, disregards, and exemptions, especially when they can impact on some benefits.

Try and get some free local help to sort everything out.

Contact your local AgeUK (scroll down https://www.ageuk.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6P3kPa71wIVDfEbCh0FbgxNEAAYASAAEgJ7PPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and put your postcode in the search box to find where they are near you)

or CAB ( scroll down to the bottom right of https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/ and put your postcode in to find where they are near you)

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I also live with my mum Whitehead. I applied to the Council as soon as I found out about this Council Tax disregard for people diagnosed with dementia. I had never heard of it, and it was only by using TP that I found out about it. The council sent me two forms - one for mum, and one for me. The GP had to sign mum's application and I filled in mine. We now only pay 25% of the Council Tax. I'm not really sure how we got to this though! I think that mum's CT liability is zero, but it seems like I got a 50% reduction on the rest of it as I am a full time carer. At the time of applying I was actually in employment, but only working a few hours a week. I did call and tell them this and they said it was OK - I still got the discount. I'm very grateful as our full CT bill was not small. It can't have been a mistake as I filled in the forms clearly and told them about my job (I don't work now).

Maybe each LA has different rules?

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
I also live with my mum Whitehead. I applied to the Council as soon as I found out about this Council Tax disregard for people diagnosed with dementia. I had never heard of it, and it was only by using TP that I found out about it. The council sent me two forms - one for mum, and one for me. The GP had to sign mum's application and I filled in mine. We now only pay 25% of the Council Tax. I'm not really sure how we got to this though! I think that mum's CT liability is zero, but it seems like I got a 50% reduction on the rest of it as I am a full time carer. At the time of applying I was actually in employment, but only working a few hours a week. I did call and tell them this and they said it was OK - I still got the discount. I'm very grateful as our full CT bill was not small. It can't have been a mistake as I filled in the forms clearly and told them about my job (I don't work now).

Maybe each LA has different rules?
Thanks,I did have an app that recorded all conversations on my phone but lost those after a phone reset,it would be good to have a record of what was said I also filled in both of those forms and even had to pay £10 for the doctor to sign it,we thought we had a good discount before the finance department rang me telling me otherwise,I was paranoid when they rang as it made me feel worried that they may have thought I was trying to get something that we were not eligible for,the forms were posted to me after requesting them over the phone without any rules sent with them

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
I agree that some LA employees don't seem to understand the differences between discounts, disregards, and exemptions, especially when they can impact on some benefits.

Try and get some free local help to sort everything out.

Contact your local AgeUK (scroll down https://www.ageuk.org.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6P3kPa71wIVDfEbCh0FbgxNEAAYASAAEgJ7PPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds and put your postcode in the search box to find where they are near you)

or CAB ( scroll down to the bottom right of https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/ and put your postcode in to find where they are near you)
Thanks

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
A doctor is not allowed to charge for signing an SMI disregard form. If this is what he charged you for, show them this link and demand your money back, otherwise you'll report them:

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/fees/certificates-no-charge
That's interesting it was the lady on the reception desk that asked for the payment,I assume there must be some things that you are charged for and somebody has made an error,it did seem a bit heartless,I'm now thinking will I sound like an awkward member of the practice if I question this.
I have just contaced them and the receptionist said the doctors don't have to sign one as it's not an NHS form and it's a private thing,I mentioned the BMA and she said "who are they"And put me through to the offices but the line was busy

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Oh dear. Well you are right and she is clueless.

I'd print this out

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/fees/certificates-no-charge[/QU

I'd print this out

T

I'd print this out

I realise you've already been given the link but sometimes having it on paper is more effective.
Thanks

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That's interesting it was the lady on the reception desk that asked for the payment,I assume there must be some things that you are charged for and somebody has made an error,it did seem a bit heartless,I'm now thinking will I sound like an awkward member of the practice if I question this.
I have just contaced them and the receptionist said the doctors don't have to sign one as it's not an NHS form and it's a private thing,I mentioned the BMA and she said "who are they"And put me through to the offices but the line was busy
What a clueless ninny. Fancy working in a GP surgery and no knowing who the BMA is! It's not a private form either, it's a council form that demands a doctor's signature. They can't refuse to sign. And they can't charge for it either. I hope you'll manage to set them straight.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
What a clueless ninny. Fancy working in a GP surgery and no knowing who the BMA is! It's not a private form either, it's a council form that demands a doctor's signature. They can't refuse to sign. And they can't charge for it either. I hope you'll manage to set them straight.
I did get through to them in the end further up the chain of command, was told it was considered "private work"I mentioned the BMA notes and the lady said she would have to have a look at them.
I think I will leave it at that as the £10 was paid ages ago,and I don't want to upset them.I like a quiet life.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
That's exactly what should happen Sarah. The date the GP gives the council is the date the disregards starts. I got a refund too to the date when I could prove an SMI.
I don't think some people at the council know the difference between a discount which is means tested and a disregard which isn't.
K

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Ecstatic. Asked council about the SMI disregard two years ago after reading TP was - wrongly - told it was means tested. Applied again after moving house this summer. Forms are now all online so very easy. They contacted our GP. Got the disregard and they backdated it to cover the years since my husband ‘s diagnosis at our old address. Without me asking. Nice surprise!!
It's staggering that people working in those departments often haven't got a clue

Mr Tiredout

Apr 28, 2018
I only found out about this ‘disregard’ recently when the ‘unforgettable’ Site emailed me with a heads up link to Money supermarket on this subject. M. Lewis is championing an investigation into councils not making info available and giving wrong advice. (V. Hard to find on BM LA website ... had given up and written to them before discovering the online form - tucked away).
I am two months waiting for Britain’s second city LA to pay up for ... back to the date of SMI on GP cert - 2011 the last 7 yrs! (BMAAS advice and assessment team never mentioned it in 2011 but it was definitely around then as I just read about it in the 18yr old book ‘Understanding Dementia’ Jacques &Jackson (which I’m not recommending here or anything - just reading).
Could everyone keep everything crossed for my Dad getting his money back - he’s going to need it for his 100th birthday party rave in a few months time. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5