MIL flooded the bathroom again

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Hi all.

MIL left the plug in the bathroom basin and flooded the bathroom, water coming through the ceiling into the kitchen. We had been with her all day and only just got in the door at home when she called.
This happened 6 months ago as well:(

So, hubby has done some looking around on the web and found a "magiplug" Anyone have any experience with one of these plugs?? Is it suitable for a PWD?

Also this is the sort of incident we are encountering with her now and why we feel the time is approaching for her own safety that she go into a care home. I am with her Mon, Wed & Fri. She spends sat with us at our house. Her "delightful" brother is supposed to see her Tue & Thur (he does and sometimes doesn't) She goes to his house on Sun.

She refuses any outside help even meals on wheels!!!

I recently got a SW to visit, but she wouldn't agree to assessment or to let him speak with her brother about all the issues of his interference :mad:

So we are waiting for a crisis, but obviously don't want anything bad to happen:(

Sorry for the moan:eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Moan away! That's one of Talking Point's functions.
No experience of the plug. Another option would be the sort of taps they have in public loos, that go off after a minute or so?

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
No experience of these plugs either, I just removed all plugs and chains put them in a safe high place to use only when I am in bathroom with mum.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Mimi5
they have those taps in dad's care home too - I haven't come across the plugs - just don't underestimate the cleverness of your mum; if a sink or bath doesn't fill as she wants it, there are plenty of ways to plug it up without using an official plug
just wondering whether 2 such incidents in 6 months would count as a crisis ... 3 surely would, not that I would ever suggest you engineer any such incident
might you play up the havoc caused and see if you can find a lovely 'hotel' for her to dtay in while the major repairs are underway, which only uncover more problems which will take weeks ....
of course only possible if you can find a suitable hotel .... would be worth looking and having your mum's name on the waiting list, just in case

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's a demonstration of the product on the link below to you tube.
I can see how it works but wonder if the size of the holes would allow a sufficient flow of water through to cope with both taps on full blast.
Presumable you bath has an overflow so why isn't that doing its job?
I have noticed that the baths in the care home don't have the ornamental overflow that the plug attaches to, they just have an open pipe which would allow for a much greater flow of water than one with just a circle of small holes like most of us have.
Possibly the combination of a magiplug and the standard overflow together may cope it depends of flow rate of the taps.
I saw a floating ball that you attached to the plug by a piece of chain the length of which you could adjust. When the water level rose the ball floated, if the water got too high the floating ball pulled the plug out, I think it was meant for children, as I recall it was only a couple of quid.
K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLQPELyBCBw

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
Thanks all!!

It was only £10, but we didn't realise that there is different ones for different sinks:confused: i.e. bath; kitchen sink and bathroom basin. We got a kitchen sink one.....needed a bathroom basin one:( Out of stock, so have to wait for it to come back in to stock. Then I'll remove all the plugs!!! She dosen't use the bath, well she said she used it sun to wash her feet. She is only having strip washes and will NOT allow me in. I noticed her legs were very, very dry and creamed them for her on mon......I don't think the soap is doing her skin any good:(

The flood this time was worse than last time. We've also had one last year downstairs in the kitchen (tiled floor) But not too much damage.....though this time the ceiling now has a crack in it:eek:

Who could I tell??? Would they care??? There's a light fitting just where the water was running out in the ceiling:eek:

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Well, if there is water running down the light fitting that is where is getting dangerous. Do not touch the light switch or you might end up switched of! Use a broom handle or other inert object. Please consider getting an electrician to do a check that the electrics are OK.

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
Flooding and bath taps

We had the same problem with mum, but as she's first floor flat she was flooding people downstairs!! The plumber we called has experience of dementia and he has fitted a valve to both bath taps under the bath which cuts off the water easily and quickly but can also be turned on easily by us. Mum can still use the shower but we've reduced the risk of flooding, and she mainly had showers anyway. She's never mentioned not being able to have a bath, probably because she's forgotten by the time she sees us the following day. Just need to work out how to stop her kitchen sink over flowing now as we can't stop her having access to water for drinks!!! That's today's job.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
We had the same problem with mum, but as she's first floor flat she was flooding people downstairs!! The plumber we called has experience of dementia and he has fitted a valve to both bath taps under the bath which cuts off the water easily and quickly but can also be turned on easily by us. Mum can still use the shower but we've reduced the risk of flooding, and she mainly had showers anyway. She's never mentioned not being able to have a bath, probably because she's forgotten by the time she sees us the following day. Just need to work out how to stop her kitchen sink over flowing now as we can't stop her having access to water for drinks!!! That's today's job.

Thanks for that info:)MIL hasn't been able to use the shower for years:( Also recently she has stopped having baths too, now just strip washes. So really it's the bathroom basin & downstairs sink which are the problem. She also lives alone and we are over 30 mins away, my hubby her only child.

You could consider the magiplug? I'm taking the kitchen sink one over shortly and we are awaiting more stock of the bathroom basin ones:) I'll report back if they are any good....