Obstructive brother

silver lady

Feb 21, 2017
I am at my wits end with my brother who lives at my mum's home and has done for around eight years. He's been okay sharing help with mum, and even asked for our help as he wants a personal life so my brother and sister and I decided we would take turns to go in the evening to bath her and get her ready for bed. My nephew's partner goes in the morning and lunchtime to prepare something to eat. We decided to become power of attorneys last October but my brother who lives there refused to come in with us. We started receiving bank statements and can see that my brother has been using her account and set up online banking last year, he's paid some of his bills using her money and even sold her car a couple of years ago and used that money and also £8,000 from her savings, he managed to do this by taking her to the bank and transferring four lots of £2,000. We've overlooked this as what can we do about it, mum would be so distressed if we involved police in anything.

He's blocked our numbers from his mobile so we can't get in touch with him to see what hours he's working, and he quite often works long hours. He started unplugging the landline so we could neither ring her or she ring us so each time we visited we would plug it back in. So then what he did was cancel the line altogether, which he was paying for and told us he couldn't afford it. We installed a new landline and got her the dementia phone where you can put photos and she just has to press those to reach us. We've since learnt upon checking this phone that our numbers have been disabled and one of them even goes through to 999.

Another thing we couldn't do was get in the house as he would leave his key in the lock, my brother went on his night to sort mum and again he couldn't get in so he rang the bell but the brother who lives there wouldn't answer the door, occasionally if he's having his girlfriend round he puts her to bed early. So we changed the locks to one where we can get in even when there's a key the other side which was fine until he realised we can do this, and Im only guessing this, but last night when I tried to get in the key wouldn't work and I believe he'd wedged something under the handle, although I can't prove this.

He's completely taken over her fridge and often there are out of date, mouldy things in there, it's heaving with food that she's unable to use as most of it needs cooking so I cleared a shelf for her snacks so she can easily see what is hers but he keeps rearranging it back and told me it's not needed.

I don't know what to do, he refuses to talk to us and leaves the house as we arrive. I am at my wits end with him, all we want to do is make sure mum's eating properly and getting to bed okay.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To me that's a safeguarding issue so you could get social services involved and raise this with them. As attorneys you are responsible for her and he is obstructing that. His actions endanger her wellbeing so get them involved.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
I fear it's now time to involve the Authorities.
Probably Adult Social Services.
Your vulnerable mother is being prevented from receiving the care she needs.
Keep a record of all that is happening, brother will have a different version.
Good luck!

Bod

silver lady

Feb 21, 2017
Thank you Beate, I will make some time today to do that, hopefully we can sort something out without having to take legal action. xx

silver lady

Feb 21, 2017
Thank you too Bod for your reply. I know for a fact my brother will have a different version, it's all completely unfathomable and very sinister. We've decided to look at assisted living accommodation but it's sad we have to do that because of him, it's her home!

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
Oh my goodness, what a difficult situation. I agree with Beate, you need to alert social services as your Mum is a vulnerable adult.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
What a horrible situation to deal with Silver Lady :( Your mother didn't choose to be in the situation she is in now and needs to be protected and looked after. If by protecting your mother it will mean negative consequences for your brother then he only has himself to blame.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello silver lady
I agree with Beate that Social Services need to be involved
has your mum had an assessment of her care needs by the Local Authority Adult Services? - she has a right to this - it would mean that your mum is flagged up on the 'system' - it may result in home care visits to take on some of the tasks the family seem to be doing (it's great that you are all so supportive, but it is a lot for you all to be doing) - if home care visits are put in place, your brother will have to make it possible for the carers to gain easy entry to the property and to undertake their allotted tasks - you could also ask that a telecare system be put in place, which needs the landline to be working at all times
this would also mean that carers monitor the home situation
any chance of separate fridges, so that your mum's food is clearly identified - though I suppose your brother will just take over that too
maybe it is time to consider a move for your mum - it may be, though, that it's a bit late for sheltered /extra care housing and it's time to consider full time care so your mum is looked after all day, every day and given the support she deserves
I'm just wondering whether your brother pays rent, or contributes to the household bills - and whether he basically sees the house as his now, not believing anyone will require him to leave at any point - if he is under 60, and he hasn't lived there all his life, he has no real right to remain there should your mum move out; is he 'hanging on' to reach 60 expecting then to have the right to stay?
is it time to get legal advice on evicting him?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
One other point, Silver Lady, to add to the excellent advice already given. You said that you and your other brother are Attorneys for your mum, but not the brother who lives with her and is causing the problems? As Attorneys, it is vital that you keep control of your mum's finances and what money is spent on, as you are accountable. Your mum's interests have to be protected, and you are legally bound to do so.