Faceless carer

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
How did i become this person. I do not remember the advert. The application, the interview? On call 24/7, no bank holidays. What happened to me, to my dreams

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Cobber, welcome to TP
You just did, many of us became the "faceless carer" part of a system they know nothing about or don't want to accept, coping with something the health services don't want to know is just how it is.
K

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
And yet, Kevin and Cobber, what is the answer? There are so many people in need of care and carers. In fact a walk down any High Street shows a lot of them with no one to help and so vulnerable.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We all may have had dreams but very few become reality.

I never saw myself as a faceless carer. I saw myself as a daughter doing the best she could for her mother and then as a wife looking after her husband .

Even though they were thankless times, I was mostly mindful they might have had to look after me.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Bank holidays are always tough for me as a carer. Everyone else is out doing things, new things and I'm stuck doing the same things.

I guess the answer is to enjoy the little things in life. A favourite TV show, a cup of tea in bed before the 'work' starts....it's the little things that keep us grounded.

Oh yeah....and thank god that you're not stuck at an airport for days on end waiting for your plane. They probably need a holiday to get over the stress of getting there;)

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
Thank you, for your sympathy and understanding, thank you for those who made me remember to count my blessings and even smile. New dawn, here, new day, new resolve to be a better carer and daughter.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you, for your sympathy and understanding, thank you for those who made me remember to count my blessings and even smile. New dawn, here, new day, new resolve to be a better carer and daughter.

You are human Cobber.

No one enters the world of caring without being affected.

I`m sure you are an excellent carer and daughter but your feelings are bound to surface at times when you are particularly tired or stressed.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs

All you can do - all we can all do - is our level best. And never, ever feel that's not enough - and know that everyone's limits are different.

I am into year 5 of both parents illnesses - but the focus has always been mainly on my mum.

I get so jealous when I see friends 'popping out for lunch' or having a spontaneous weekend away but too count my blessings when I get time to myself.

You are the best daughter/carer there is for your 'cared for person' - however that doesn't mean you're the ONLY one who can do it. I have just reached the stage, with mum in hospital, where we are approaching care home time. The apron strings are so tight sometimes they feel like they will strangle me but I must loosen them - it'll be a slow process though.

Love and hugs to you xxx

Sent from my SM-G935F using Talking Point mobile app

Kazzy2016

Mar 5, 2017
East Anglia
Dreams

Take strength from the little things,

Enjoy the good times and deal with the harder times

Hold on to your dreams