LPA query

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
I have both lpa's for my husband, diagnosed with Alzheimer's/ Vascular dementia, 2 years ago and have taken these to both our bank and doctors, where they copied them and made a note on their files about them. However, in today's Daily Express, an article re lpa's says it typically costs £400 to file an lpa or £700 if you set up both at the same time. I only paid £110 for each when I did them on line, so to what does the extra charge refer to. I'm hoping I've done everything correctly. Thank you, hopeful 123

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I think the extra cost is if you use a solicitor. Like you I did the online route and paid £110 each.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ted100

Mar 10, 2017
I presume the extra charge is for a solicitor to do them and be certificate provider??

We recently did them for mother in law and it cost £110 each online. The fee reduced to £82 each about 2 days after we did them so even cheaper now

We had to pay an extra £250 as her GP charged us for signing them as 'certificate provider.' We needed someone who could certify she understood what she was signing who had known her for some time (and not a family member) so her GP was the only option at short notice.

Mrs Ted

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You haven't done anything wrong, on the contrary, you managed to avoid solicitors fees, so give yourself a pat on the back!

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
I have both lpa's for my husband, diagnosed with Alzheimer's/ Vascular dementia, 2 years ago and have taken these to both our bank and doctors, where they copied them and made a note on their files about them. However, in today's Daily Express, an article re lpa's says it typically costs £400 to file an lpa or £700 if you set up both at the same time. I only paid £110 for each when I did them on line, so to what does the extra charge refer to. I'm hoping I've done everything correctly. Thank you, hopeful 123

Thank you very much for your help, people. Another little worry I can put aside. Hopeful 123

maximus1958

Feb 13, 2017
may cost even less

You did everything correctly and as stated saved the solicitors bill. I do not know your personal circumstances but did you also spot that if your partner is on certain benefits, the fee is not charged or can be refunded.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife has income below the threshold level so it cost just £55 each for her 2 LPAs. Paying more for a solicitor to do it when it can be done relatively easily online seems like an expensive and largely unnecessary way of doing it.

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
You did everything correctly and as stated saved the solicitors bill. I do not know your personal circumstances but did you also spot that if your partner is on certain benefits, the fee is not charged or can be refunded.

Thank you Maximus 1958 for your input, my husband receives the lower rate of attendance allowance and of course the disc.for our council tax so don't think that qualifies him for any reduction in the fee for LPA

Annypurple

May 6, 2015

I agree with the others who have responded. Our solicitor's charge would be £800 and then I looked on line and saw how easy the site is to use, I took advice and we completed the forms for the registration fee £110 and THE NEXT DAY it was reduced to £82 .... our GP didn't charge although I expected her to. We've only taken out the financial because our GP said these days the computer system they use flags up end of life decisions. With regard to my OH, as his wife, I would be involved in any medical decisions. I hope that will all prove correct. But am thinking about doing one for myself because there's no one else who can.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Lpa

Hi folks, just some advice please. Not sure about LPA I have done this online. Is it right when they arrive you need to get them signed .

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What do you mean by "when they arrive"?

When you do them online, it means you fill out all the details online, then you print them out and get them signed in the right order, then you send them off to the OPG to be registered.

Floria Tosca

Mar 23, 2015
Nr Doncaster
Hi folks, just some advice please. Not sure about LPA I have done this online. Is it right when they arrive you need to get them signed .

Yes, and they have to be signed in the correct order, not stapled, etc etc. Very important otherwise Office of Public Guardian will chuck them back.

Download the LPA help page and follow the instructions to the letter.
Donor signs first in front of witness. (but Donor also signs at the end after everyone else).
Donor's Witness signs.
Certificate Provider signs.
Attorney(s) sign.
Attorney(s) witness(es) sign.
Donor signs last section.

Hope this helps.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If all the signatories live locally and can sign on the same day the OPG assumes they were signed in the correct order.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
What do you mean by "when they arrive"?

When you do them online, it means you fill out all the details online, then you print them out and get them signed in the right order, then you send them off to the OPG to be registered.

Hi Beate, ye I have done all of that.,but when I've been reading on here some have been saying when they actually got the actual LPA back it then needed signing by Dr. Which cost them more.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Yes, and they have to be signed in the correct order, not stapled, etc etc. Very important otherwise Office of Public Guardian will chuck them back.

Download the LPA help page and follow the instructions to the letter.
Donor signs first in front of witness. (but Donor also signs at the end after everyone else).
Donor's Witness signs.
Certificate Provider signs.
Attorney(s) sign.
Attorney(s) witness(es) sign.
Donor signs last section.

Hope this helps.
Thankyou FT. I read on here that when I receive LPA then it needed signing by a professional person.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Property

Hi all need a little advice , OH is the only one with name on Land registry for ownership of house. If for instance later down the line he had to go in CH would our home be also included in financial assessment because my name isn't also on. Since he was recently diagnosed I am getting everything sorted. We have been married 33 yrs & never gave it a thought up until now. When the consultant said to get everything put in order.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
Sorry should I have made the above a new thread .I know some of you lovely people will keep me right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch