Neurologist Appointment - very Nervous

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Hi
I have an appointment with my Mum tomorrow to see the Neurologist for the first time and I am getting a bit nervous for my Mum more than anything

I have been told by another doctor (Head Injury Consultant) that they feel it is Alzheimer's but she needs to see a Neurologist for a diagnosis

I rang the hospital and spoke to his secretary and said I felt uncomfortable if they ask any questions to me about my Mum whilst she was in the room as she will more than likely deny there is anything wrong though admits it to me she feels deep down there is. I have sent the secretary an email outlining concerns so the Dr can read it prior to the appointment. I am now worrying I have done the right thing even though my Dad has told me I have - Mum doesn't want my Dad to go with her so to save any aggression I am going

What sort of thing should I expect from the appointment - any information would be useful
So I can prepare myself and in turn alleviate any aggression or upset with Mum

Perhaps I am worrying for nothing though ??

Gnasher

Feb 22, 2017
I have just been through this with my husband. The Doctor me lots of questions which I was unable to answer honestly in front of my husband. The email I had sent earlier had not reached him (I have subsequently sent another). So that was very awkward. He then asked my husband lots of questions about his past and of things happening now. He was also asked some general knowledge type questions. He then did a memory test which consisted of simple maths, recognising everyday objects and matching them with other terms. Copying simple diagrams, eg a box. Quite a lot more that I can't remember.
At the end he told my husband that he believed he had some "memory problems" and made an appointment for a brain scan. He then told my husband he should not drive. This has become a big issue since. My husband is very angry and upset. The scan is another 2 or 3 weeks away. I expect all hospitals work differently but I hope this helps in what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Thanks - Mum has had a MRI scan as she had a bad fall last year and bleed on the brain which I think now has been reabsorbed and numerous CT scans etc
The head injury doctor feels it is Alzheimer's and just checked that the hospital has got the email as I do feel awkward talking about my Mum in front of my Mum
Hope everything goes well - keep me updated on the scan results
My Mum hasn't driven since the fall but wants to but Dad had said wait to see what the Doctor says so I think she thinks she might get to drive after the appointment - well that is going to be difficult to say the least
Thanks for reply

Last edited:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My husband still drives even though he has Alzheimer's . He has a yearly licence now even though initially he was not allowed to drive after diagnosis. Consultant told him to go to driving assessment centre first and he passed with zero faults . Now he has this assessment every year but so far they all been fine :)

Our neurologist was lovely at first appointment. He spoke first with us both together, then with my husband alone, where he had to do various tests and afterwards to me on my own where I could raise any concerns before calling us in together again to diagnose early onset of Alzheimer's .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi, don't be nervous. The consultant is just a person, with special learning. He is there to help you. Make sure that you sit behind Mum so that you can gesticulate without offending her, but if there is anything that you need to say, apart from what you sent in the email( always a good idea) still say it. Ask questions, and if, at the end of it all Mum gets snippy, tell her that it is because you didn't understand. Make notes so that you can look back at them later.... and make sure you ask to be copied in to any correspondence.

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
I am beginning to relax a bit now as there isn't much I can do now that I haven't already done as the appointment is in the morning tomorrow

I suppose half of me wants him to wave an imaginary magic wand and I will get my mum back the way she used to be but then that is just wishful thinking

If there is a diagnosis just wondering how that is relayed to my Mum, and how she would take it? Sometimes I feel scared of my Mum's reaction to information as it can be aggressive or she just cries and not sure how to deal with mood changes

Is suppose I am new to all this and how to deal with situations and associated issues

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Hello Little Circles,

We've just been through a few hours worth of these appointments for my OH.
Every single person we had dealings with was compassionate and understanding as I'm sure they will be with you and your mother. They know how frightening this is for you and will do what they can to make you relaxed. All the best.

Last edited:

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Thanks you
Was hopefully for a diagnosis there and then but I suppose in reality it will take longer than that

Gnasher

Feb 22, 2017
My husband still drives even though he has Alzheimer's . He has a yearly licence now even though initially he was not allowed to drive after diagnosis. Consultant told him to go to driving assessment centre first and he passed with zero faults . Now he has this assessment every year but so far they all been fine :)

Our neurologist was lovely at first appointment. He spoke first with us both together, then with my husband alone, where he had to do various tests and afterwards to me on my own where I could raise any concerns before calling us in together again to diagnose early onset of Alzheimer's .

I wish that they could have explained this to my husband. I have tried but he just gets angrier and angrier. At the moment I am doing the driving but he is worse back seat driver ever. He has always been a better driver than me. Driving is an automotive skill ( you don't actually think about it - you just do it) however it is the awareness of things around you that concerns me.

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Mum had a diagnosis of Frontal Lobe Dementia today
I am still taking it in as though I realised something was not right it is still a shock when you get a diagnosis
Need to read up more about it as to the implications
Thanks to everyone for their comments

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Mum had a diagnosis of Frontal Lobe Dementia today
I am still taking it in as though I realised something was not right it is still a shock when you get a diagnosis
Need to read up more about it as to the implications
Thanks to everyone for their comments

I am sorry little circle it's always a bit of a shock and needs a bit of time to sink in. At least you will be able to get the right medication for mum and sort things like poa out . May I suggest to get in touch with the admiral nurse as she can give you plenty of advice and support. Sending hugs xx

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
I have no experience if FTD but know that Rare Dementia Support provide support at http://www.raredementiasupport.org/ftd/. They have national support groups and links to forums and some local groups. This has been the origin of most useful support for us, albeit for PCA rather than FTD. They also do a course via Futurelearn which includes FTD.

There are others on here who have lots of experience of FTD. I suggest you start a new thread with FTD in the title to get their attention.

All the very best,
Rich

joolzt

Apr 1, 2016
Edinburgh
A technique I use with my mum is to ask questions 'via' her so she thinks she is involved. I just say 'mum, I think you wanted to know what xxx tablet does' or 'I don't know if you need to have that tablet before meals, do you want to ask?'. The doctor hears me asking the questions and answers, but mum thinks she is in control.

You may be able to ask general questions at your appointment but give a hint to the doc of what you are really asking. They are experienced and often know what you are asking.

Hope all goes well.

Julie

Sent from my SM-T719 using Talking Point mobile app