How do l deal with...?

Frances43

Jan 28, 2017
My husband was diagnosed with FTLbv his mood changes and temper are very upsetting, he forgets to take his medication and refuses to let me give it to him and hides it in the bedroom so l can't find it the problem is neither can he .. any suggestions

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
i have no suggestions, sorry. But i want you to know that you have been heard and your pain and misery is understood all too well by us, on here. When a spouse gets like that - what can be done - I can't do anything with mine and most of the time he is not nearly that bad but as bad as he gets is far worse than I know what to do with !!!!!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Frances

All I can suggest is you ask the doctor for a spare supply of the medication which you can keep to give your husband, if he can`t find what he`s hidden, and is willing to accept it. Or....if you find his meds, keep them to one side so you have control.

Does he get his supply from the pharmacy or do you? If you do, just give him one week`s supply if you can get away with it so you can keep the rest safe.

I know it sounds devious but it is in his best interests.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The feeling of being in control is very important to people with bvFTD. My OH constantly accuses me of "taking him over" and "treating him like a child" whenever I suggest things to him. He seems to hear mere suggestions as orders, which will set him off.

Perhaps an alarmed dossette box would be the answer? https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/pill-dispensers-organizers.html. If someone else could suggest it, or you could persuade him it was his idea ;), he could keep it in his room and the alarm would alert you both (whats that noise? Oh, its your dossette box!)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad used to get very grumpy when we phoned to remind him to take his meds. I used to dread making that call! An alarmed dosette box works for him.

We have the round one with 28 compartments and an alarm. Expensive but its saved my sanity!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Frances43

Jan 28, 2017
Taking medication

I am grateful for the replies I have received. It amazed me how similar the problems of other carers seem to be the same. It seems as if I am now regarded as a challenge to him and his authority, my husband regards himself as in charge and is he is never wrong. Even when what he is doing is completely off the wall. As far as medication goes, he hides it as I said previously, but I have offered to give it to him and he refuses and wont take it from me as he doesn't want me interfering and thinking that I can control his medication. He gets very angry if I suggest things to him to make his life easier.

Willow Tree

Jul 6, 2016
USA
Thank you for your posts tonight; just what I needed in support.
My hubby has Parkinsons and vascular issues and these challenges pop up now and then. It helped me just to read what you've all posted. Not as alone as I feel sometimes (like tonight). Thank you, Carers! : )

Morty

Dec 13, 2016
Southeast Ireland
My Dad went through a phase of hating the meds,i succeded in getting them into him by giving the pills with jelly or ice cream in a bowl,sometimes cut the pills in two.
Worth a try,good luck...

Krug 22

Dec 12, 2015
No advice but I do understand and yes the control thing strikes a big bell. I had not realised the refusal to take medication was quite so common. All I can suggest is that you tell your husbands GP and get it on record so at least the GP is aware.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Frances

My husband was hiding his medication and throwing it out of the toilet window. I told his doctor who put in his records `refusing medication`.

After a while my husband kept complaining he didn`t feel well and my stock answer was it was because he wasn`t taking his meds. After a while he gave in and accepted it. He then allowed me to give it to him.

I was also accused of taking his independence away.

Frances43

Jan 28, 2017
Medication

Thank you for the many helpful comments, but the problem is getting worse. The nurse who visits my husband each week, has arranged for his medication to be delivered in a special box with the day and time on it. Thinking that would work, but it hasn't he regularly forgets to take it because he hides the packs away, and when I have offered to give it him he refuses saying it's none of my business. The nurse is concerned, he lies to her saying he has taken it, she knows this, asks to see his medication and he refuses. In the meantime he is becoming more erratic and at times abusive towards me. Any suggestions, as this is not easy. My husband has bvFTD.