How long does the paranoia stage last?

dalmation lady

Feb 3, 2014
My father has dementia and Alzheimer's and for last 18 months or so has been reasonably stable on memantine and donepezil. This last few months he has become increasingly paranoid accusing family members of plotting to put him in a care home and even standing outside doors listening. When we ask why he's standing outside a room and why not come inside and sit down he replies he's listening to what people are saying about him. Non of this of course is true.
Is this a progression of the disease? If I take him to the Dr it's going to be a nightmare having to describe his behaviour when he's sitting next to me as he refuses to believe there is anything wrong with him, and it's probably just going to provoke one of his shouting and aggressive episodes. These normally end with him flouncing off to bed and refusing to speak to anyone.
Any thoughts anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Can you request a phone chat with the doctor?

Could your father have a UTI? That can make Dementia sufferers paranoid. Apparently the paranoia and hallucinations caused by a UTI CAN last as long as 6 months...

Try and get a urine sample from him to take to the doctor. You can tell him it's to monitor his blood sugar in case he's at risk from diabetes if you think he'd react badly to being tested for a UTI.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi dalmatian lady
you might make a list of your father's current behaviours, how long since they started and how long each lasts together with your concerns and any questions you have, then send as a letter or email to his GP/consultant/CPN, so that they are kept up to date - then follow up with a call or an appointment - has you dad had the flu jab, something like this might get him to the surgery - if you can go into the appointment with him, sit just enough behind him so that he can't see your face and you can then signal to the GP when your father is not telling it like it is
good idea to check for a UTI
best wishes

dalmation lady

Feb 3, 2014
Thanks for your input he's just come out of hospital so I suppose it could just be an ongoing result of the infection he was admitted with.
I will contact his CPN though and see if she will bring forward his routine visit.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point