Contractures and wheelchairs ?

Gemmagems

Nov 1, 2016
Hi all , I am completely new to this but so pleased I've found there are people out there struggling like me . My gran has dementia , unfortunately she is now in a nursing home . Her legs are so badly contracted that she has to spend every day in bed . I have had so many many bad experiences with bad nursing and Carer's that my hope is disappearing . A wheel chair assessor called out to see if it was possible for my nan to have a wheelchair but they adviced that her legs were that bad that she wouldn't be able to have one . Am I missing something here ? People are expected to spend the rest of their lives in bed because of contractors ? My nan has not left the room since she was placed in the nursing home in march . Any ideas ??

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Hi all , I am completely new to this but so pleased I've found there are people out there struggling like me . My gran has dementia , unfortunately she is now in a nursing home . Her legs are so badly contracted that she has to spend every day in bed . I have had so many many bad experiences with bad nursing and Carer's that my hope is disappearing . A wheel chair assessor called out to see if it was possible for my nan to have a wheelchair but they adviced that her legs were that bad that she wouldn't be able to have one . Am I missing something here ? People are expected to spend the rest of their lives in bed because of contractors ? My nan has not left the room since she was placed in the nursing home in march . Any ideas ??

If she's been assessed then it probably is too late now. I know I'm glad that my mother's NH get my mother up and into a special support chair, at least for part of the day as I'm well aware how quickly foetal position and contractures can suddenly develop.
I'm afraid sad as it is many people do spend their last years in a bed all day.

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
Re. I know I'm glad that my mother's NH get my mother up and into a special support chair, at least for part of the day as I'm well aware how quickly foetal position and contractures can suddenly develop.

Lemonjuice. Did the care home provide the chair? My mum self funds and the NH say she must buy one herself as shes not CHC

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband was CHC funded but we had to buy his chair to allow him out of bed for part of the day.

There are different chairs for different disabilities but they are not cheap so important to get the right one.