Should i be worried

Bubzy30

Dec 7, 2016
Hi

My dads memory has recently been getting worse, although its always been quite poor we used to rule it off as old age or forgetfulness.

However, now its seems to be progessively worsening. For example he will put stuff in his cupboard and then forgets where he has put it. But doesnt remember that we removed the items from the cupboard a few weeks later. He then gets really worried and trys really hard to remember.

He doesnt complete a task, he will start one thing i.e. Paperwork which never seems to end and then may notice some dust on the floor so will go over to sweep the floor, he says he will forget if he doenst do it there and then. Or he will notice the cereal has finished will pop to the store room to get it, but then comes back and hasnt bought it until he notices the empty bowl and so goes back to the store room. At work he said a few times he has taken the money to the post office to deposit, but when he got to the post office he didnt know why he was there. Although this doesnt happen everytime, is it 'normal' to forget...several time?!.

He repeats himself quite abit and forgets that we have had the same conversation earlier that day or the day before...Also if we having a conversation about something he will be listening and then will interupt and talk about something completly different, it can be percieved as rude if you dont know him, but he says if he doesnt say it there and then he will forget.

Learning new things seems to be a challenge and he finding it difficult to interupt written information e.g. Letters and doesnt seem to understand it where as before he used to. This isnt all the time though.

We often tell him he probably has dementia and suggested he sees a doctor but the doctors seem to be interested in the loss of our mother who died of cancer 3 months ago. Her death has really upset him and he feels lost and confused. But the the docs think he is forgetful because of the depression and loss. I feel that the loss has made it worser as he has become more dependant and almost stopped thinking for himself and relies on us to make decisions for him. But the patterns of forgetting events, things etc has been ongoing for a few years but has become worse over the past year.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
It's not necessarily either/or. Grief and loss can certainly have all the effects you describe but it is also possible that while your mother was alive he was able to rely on her and now his difficulties are more obvious. His memory and confusion issues may be because of dementia, but there are other health conditions which can produce similar symptoms and they need to be checked out (and if possible either treated or ruled out).

How does he feel about further investigation? To some extent, you have to let him decide what happens next. You could perhaps keep encouraging him to go back to his doctor to seek further advice; in the interim I would keep a diary of what you observe and this may help identify whether things are really getting worse. I wonder if he is frightened of dementia and that makes him reluctant to have his fears confirmed. Nobody could blame him for that, but he might find it easier to talk about the actual problems he is experiencing without referring to dementia directly.

Last edited:

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Indeed, a simple blood test can reveal deficiencies which can impact cognitive function. I imagine your Dad's life is rather upside down since your mother's passing. Is he eating well, sleeping fully, taking medication as prescribed?

I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency at age 45 which made me get tested for dementia. It was easily remedied.

Good luck.

Bubzy30

Dec 7, 2016
He is open to investigation and we have had serious conversations as we felt that overall his memory loss and forgetfulness was getting worse and didnt think it was 'normal'. He has had the initial few conversations with doctor who had referred him to a pychologist and her conversations seem to focus on loss and grief following my mums death. They are looking to do an mri scan in Jan.

He has had blood tests and isnt suffering from any defiencies. However the doctor has prescribed him some depression tablets 20mg to help Him sleep as he was unable to stop his mind from thinking (these were prescribed over year ago before my mums treatment) which strangely seem to help with the memory loss.

On one hand he is forgetful on the other he is very good at numbers and is always sorting out his finances.

Hence i am struggling to understand whether this is dementia related, old age (he is 63) or grief related which will over time then improve. I just want to be prepared and be able to offer him the support as my brother is very impatient with him and gets irratated and annoyed that he cant remember or forgets conversations or peoples names. My dad then gets all stressed and you can see the strain on his face as he tries to remember or recall an event.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Time will tell
Hes had blood tests and there is nothing of concern there.
If its grief he will improve with time.
If its depression then the antidepressants will help
If its dementia then he will continue to decline.

Im sorry to put it so bluntly, but dementia cant be hidden indefinitely. Sometimes it does take a while to get to the right diagnosis, but keeping a diary of the odd things that happen will help the doctors.