Pressure sores Dad in CH

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Hi
As some of you will know my Dad who is 64 has moderate stage AZ and has been in full time care since April. Does anyone know how is best to treat/deal with pressure sores that my Dad has just developed? He's been in his current CH since August and has only just started with a pressure sore on one of his legs this week. He is mobile and not bed bound but does sit in a chair for more prolonged periods of time than he used to. The district nurse came to see him today and the CH want to change his mattress froma queen to a single. He had trouble falling out of his last single mattress but apparently you can't get aquuen sized pressure mattress?
What's the best course of action to help prevent sores? I'm annoyed that he's gotvto this stage without anyone noticing as apparently it was quite bad. He fell over in the dining room after tripping on his apron ties so not sure if the two things are related?
Any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has gone through anything similar. I just want to help and be his voice to help him through this awful journey.

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
Hi
Does anyone know how is best to treat/deal with pressure sores that my Dad has just developed? .

The district nurses are the experts in this. You could ask the home what advice they have given, and make sure that the home are following the advice and using any pressure-relieving aids correctly. You could also contact the DNs directly. Look on the website for the local community NHS trust and search for district nurses - there should be a phone number given.

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
The district nurses are the experts in this. You could ask the home what advice they have given, and make sure that the home are following the advice and using any pressure-relieving aids correctly. You could also contact the DNs directly. Look on the website for the local community NHS trust and search for district nurses - there should be a phone number given.

Great thanks I need to check with the CH what advice they are following as just changing his mattress can't be it?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Queen size pressure mattresses are available but they are expensive. Searching on bariatric pressure mattress will find them as bariatric beds are often queen size, some are not adjustable to work with a normal weight person.

As well as appropriate chair cushion and mattress regular repositioning is vital.

A profile bed is really requiredto do the positioning.

Existing sores should be dressed and a check kept for any redness elsewhere that could be the start of a new sore.

See if you can get referral to a tissue viability (TV) nurse.

At the home my wife was in she was repositioned every 2 hours and the degree of any visible sores or redness recorded, photographs were taken of any significant change and also every 24 hours.

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Queen size pressure mattresses are available but they are expensive. Searching on bariatric pressure mattress will find them as bariatric beds are often queen size, some are not adjustable to work with a normal weight person.

As well as appropriate chair cushion and mattress regular repositioning is vital.

A profile bed is really requiredto do the positioning.

Existing sores should be dressed and a check kept for any redness elsewhere that could be the start of a new sore.

See if you can get referral to a tissue viability (TV) nurse.

At the home my wife was in she was repositioned every 2 hours and the degree of any visible sores or redness recorded, photographs were taken of any significant change and also every 24 hours.

Thanks nitram, its good to know what the CH should be doing and I'll see how we go about getting a (TV) nurse.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
You get a pressure sore in hours on same position. It take a minimum of 3 months to heal. (Sometimes it doesn't heal in 2 years). You feel pain, it is an open door to infections and it is AVOIDABLE!!!!

My mum had air pillows on her back and bottom. Always. (After an hospital stay that gave her pressure sores) and mattress.

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
You get a pressure sore in hours on same position. It take a minimum of 3 months to heal. (Sometimes it doesn't heal in 2 years). You feel pain, it is an open door to infections and it is AVOIDABLE!!!!

My mum had air pillows on her back and bottom. Always. (After an hospital stay that gave her pressure sores) and mattress.

I wondered how quickly it had developed without anyone noticing when dressing or toileting my Dad. Thanks I need to find out what they are doing to prevent it and help it to heal.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I wondered how quickly it had developed without anyone noticing when dressing or toileting my Dad. Thanks I need to find out what they are doing to prevent it and help it to heal.

As my mum had on her back, she had some weeks only on bed and not laying on her back. She was on antibiotics. There was a cleaning liquid (tirsh). I don't remember full prescription. She were moved each 2 hours on CH.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I'd say it was quite unusual for an ambulant person to get a pressure sore, especially on his leg by sitting, its more likely in a immobile person, that cant move around.

I know the nurse knows best, but are they certain it is a pressure sore, not a carpet burn when he fell? Where about on his leg is it?

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Jess

(Not so) Ambulant PWD can get pressure sores on heels, by laying on backs and moving legs pressing heels on mattress.

Sometimes it is related to drugs. I mean my mum was on morphine waiting a femur op. So she was immobile due to drug.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Jbob , pressure sores can develop anytime , anywhere really . It is difficult but not unusual to develop one on your leg , especially if mobile but these sores can start off as friction or ill fitting socks etc , which are too tight . Some pressure sores are not dressed but it really is up to the district nurse / tvn to decide what treatment is best . Good nutrician will also be vital in ensuring good healing . Using pressure relieving equipment is necesssary but the best treatment is regular repositioning . I hope your dads leg improves . Best wishes , Lou

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks everyone for your advice its much appreciated! I'm not 100% sure it is a pressure sore or if it's a friction sore? I don't think the home knows either but the nurse should. Hopefully it will clear up quick and be prevented in the future?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Call it friction sore or pressure sore once the skin starts reddening is when to take action.

Try to position the person so that affected part is not in pressure contact with bedding etc.

If sores/ulcers are allowed to develop it can take weeks/months to heal them.

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Call it friction sore or pressure sore once the skin starts reddening is when to take action.

Try to position the person so that affected part is not in pressure contact with bedding etc.

If sores/ulcers are allowed to develop it can take weeks/months to heal them.

Thanks nitram! I will keep an eye on it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare