Choking and unable too empty lower bowel!

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I'm scared I keep choking on my own saliver, and also have been constipated and had too resort to senokot, but unable too empty lower bowel!
Sorry this is so graphic, but is this the beginning of becoming incontinent? Or will it pass?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is your GP aware of your problems?

There are several types of laxatives, your GP should be able to suggest some others to try.

Choking on saliva can be caused by excess saliva production or a swallowing difficulty, again your GP can help either with medication or referral to Speech And Language Therapy (SALT).

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Jeanie, my late Husband had constipation all of his adult life. His GP gave him some powders (sorry forgot the name) and, as long as he took them, things were fine. Pete must have had controlled constipation for about 40 years before he became incontinent.

Take Nitram's advice and make an appointment with your GP.

XXX

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
You need to see a doctor ASAP. Go to an urgent medical center or hospital emergency room.
This is not to alarm you.

From salvia.com:
"Choking on salvia is a sign of disease. Excessive saliva production can be caused by a respiratory infection, nasal allergy, tonsillitis and/or sore throat. People with neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease experience paralysis of muscles leading to choking on their own saliva. "

Since you are also having bowel resistance, your the nerves that are associated with those muscles may be compromised.

Go to a doctor now. This is not intended to be medical advice but as a person posting on here-my advice is to tell you to seek immediate and urgent medical help.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I have a dilemma in that I do not want any invasive treatment, or anything that will advance my Alzheimers. I am remarkably aware of what is happening to me, I may not remember what I ate or watched on TV, but I am aware when I get things wrong, as I inevitably do.
Afraid I panic when I suddenly realise that what happens physically is also due almost certainly to the Alzheimers. I am eight yrs into it according to memory clinic, I am also seventy six and my daughter is my only carer, whilst I want to live as long as possible, as I am, I don't want too inflict on my daughter how I would be, not knowing her and other family further into it. When I was diagnosed three yrs ago, my instant reaction was I hoped something else would take me, before I got too that stage!
I have found out by accident that what is happening re the last part of my bowel is neurological not physical
The memory clinic is aware of the constipation and I can see now that it was no surprise to them, I attend again just before Christmas.The swallowing is also due almost certainly too the Alzheimers. It would seem that my physical condition is deteriorating faster that my memory!
Afraid I am not religious in anyway so feel I must cope the best I can, I'm very sorry to have worried anyone, but here is the only place I can say how things really are.
I just read Norms post, made me cry, but well said Norms, as always, and can't thank you enough everyone. Xxxxxx

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I still think you should talk things over with with you GP, you can stipulate that you do not want any intrusive procedures.
There are different types of laxative, (s)he should be able to prescribe one working in a different way to Senokot.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I have a dilemma in that I do not want any invasive treatment, or anything that will advance my Alzheimers. I am remarkably aware of what is happening to me, I may not remember what I ate or watched on TV, but I am aware when I get things wrong, as I inevitably do.
Afraid I panic when I suddenly realise that what happens physically is also due almost certainly to the Alzheimers. I am eight yrs into it according to memory clinic, I am also seventy six and my daughter is my only carer, whilst I want to live as long as possible, as I am, I don't want too inflict on my daughter how I would be, not knowing her and other family further into it. When I was diagnosed three yrs ago, my instant reaction was I hoped something else would take me, before I got too that stage!
I have found out by accident that what is happening re the last part of my bowel is neurological not physical
The memory clinic is aware of the constipation and I can see now that it was no surprise to them, I attend again just before Christmas.The swallowing is also due almost certainly too the Alzheimers. It would seem that my physical condition is deteriorating faster that my memory!
Afraid I am not religious in anyway so feel I must cope the best I can, I'm very sorry to have worried anyone, but here is the only place I can say how things really are.
I just read Norms post, made me cry, but well said Norms, as always, and can't thank you enough everyone. Xxxxxx

Hi Jeanie

I can identify with a lot of what you write - I too am all too aware of what is happening. Neurological is physical and when my brain allows I have to consider all things necessary to try and avoid constipation which is always worse during a bad phase. I prefer to use natural things, prunes and exercise when possible and of course fluids the latter not easy if swallowing is becoming difficult, I sympathise. I wonder if you have had any help/advice/support from SALT - speech and language therapist - this wouldn't need to be anything invasive but they may well be able to offer you something that you will find helps - the good tips I get given I often forget so need to be reminded or try and set up reminders for myself.

Best wishes to you
Sue:)

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
You are all so kind, and can't thank you enough for all your replies.
I have other health problems ie Colitis that flares up now and then so have too be careful re what I take so prunes are out as are many other possible solutions.
Realise I will have too live with it, I manage ok so far as keeping myself clean, it's just uncomfortable sometimes! As for the choking I just have too be aware and careful, have had both problems for a while and only over the weekend realised both were due to the Alzheimers.
I'm sure most of us have read and digested what having it means in all its gory detail, but we ourselves tend to concentrate on memory, and put physical changes too one side, until realisation dawns.
The only time I have too much saliver, is when my hiatus hernia plays up.
Once I get used to something I tend to cope, until the next thing occurs, and then it's back too panic stations! Thanks again everyone xxxxxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407