Would really like people's experience of communication in care homes

ragdoll

Oct 1, 2010
Sorry, still really struggling with Mums care but can't work out if I am expecting too much. Would be interested to know what communication as a relative you get. There is a folder in mums room which seems to have food and drink record, a behaviour record but not filled in since 25th Sept, not sure if that is because she has behaved better. Would you expect any daily notes on how mum is, still can't get an answer about if she is dry at night, if she is wondering at night, we think she is some nights. It appears someone came to see Mum on Wednesday she came when a friend of Mums visited, so she told us. No one can tell us who she was or where she came from, it seems she might have been a mental health nurse called Julie, but not able to tell us how to contact her, they think she might be going to recommend some medication. I emailed the Manager on Wednesday with some questions but not had a reply, my sister had a phone call from someone else which answered some of the questions but no one has contacted me. One of them was about referral to continence nurse been asking since mum moved in a month ago, seems she was referred yesterday, so they told my sister. Last night I put Mum to bed but no quilt on her bed just a quilt cover so had to go find someone to get one, Mum feels the cold and surely it is normal to have more than just an empty quilt cover. Sorry gone on too long, bottom line do you see written evidence of your relatives care that is easily accessible.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Ragdoll,

I was for amny years a support/care worker, and this included time spent as a carer in a nursing home. Food, drink and personal care record sheets were kept in residents room and were supposed to be filled out every time that food/drink was taken, and that any sort of personal care was given. This is standard practice in every home I've ever come accross. If there are behavioural charts, I must admit that I've always seen them kept in the actual care plan - which is generally kept out of the residents room for reasons of confidentiality and respecting privacy (you wouldn't want just any visitor being able to access all info), and not only have I always understood that care plans should be updated by the carers and other staff (eg, nurses) daily, but behavioural charts should also be filled in wherever there is any incident/behaviour that needs noting. I think it depends on the home, and as to whether you have POA for health and Welfare as to whether you have access to the care plan - my own opinion is that family should! You should be kept informed of any professional visits and outcomes - again, this has always been standard practice as far as my experience goes. The lack of adequate bedding is completely unacceptable.

I'd be asking for a meeting with the manager and raising all these concerns, hun - and if there is no reply contact the CQC ( http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/fundamental-standards ) .

Hope this helps :) x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Before I had a registered POA for welfare for mum, I only had limited access to the care plan.

Now the POA is registered I can read all of the care plan on request

I'm just wondering if it's a legal thing

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

ragdoll

Oct 1, 2010
Thank you so much that really does help, I am going to book a day off work next week and spend the day there and get an appointment with the manager, not that she has replied to my email. We don't have a health and welfare poa just finance so think we need to get that. My sister did have imput into a care plan, but we haven't ever seen it. Whoever you speak to just doesn't seem to know anything. I do feel out of my mind with worry, we invested so much time finding the right place and it seems we got it wrong, which makes me so sad for Mum and that we have let her down.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I have health poa for dad but at his care home closest significant other next of kin quite rightly can access the same information and have the same level of communication as me. I don't know the legal situation but if a next of kin has been instrumental in placing their loved one in care if they cannot access information how can they know proper care procedures are being followed and the resident is being properly cared for, who else will look out for the resident?Carers write brief daily notes for day and night in the care plan file important for me to know how dad is at night as he is a night time pacer, medical notes are kept separately as are his food and fluid watch charts. All are kept up to date I can look at them at anytime time and do although they are kept in a locked cupboard that staff access easily. I ask about dad they often tell me how he is before I ask. I have an annual care plan review and monthly reviews with a nurse but ask about stuff all the time and everything is dealt with promptly. Basic care should mean that if a duvet is in the wash a replacement is provided without you having to ask. I certainly would want a frank discussion with manager and my points addressed on your mums behalf and to give you piece of mind. You haven't let her down in finding what you thought was the best possible care home and are certainly not letting her down now as you are showing you are continuing to be vigilant.

Last edited:

Hill Man

Apr 10, 2016
Mid Wales
Worth remembering that "next of kin" is a social nicety and not a legal position. In some places it will be respected but in others it may not be. As someone with POA you have authority to act as that person

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Worth remembering that "next of kin" is a social nicety and not a legal position. In some places it will be respected but in others it may not be. As someone with POA you have authority to act as that person

Yes that's true but if a next of kin ie spouse, their adult child has helped the pwd place themselves in care as a self funder particularly so no SS involvement, who do the care home accept will monitor things for their loved ones as they decline and lose mental capacity can this only be addressed and accepted by applying for deputyship? There is a lot in between time as the resident drifts from making partial decisions for themselves to not being able to make any. It's fine for me with poa but I do worry for those who have a care home not willing to discuss even the most trivial matter...it would be interesting to know what the legalities are in this situation but one would hope with a spouse or adult child they would be flexible.

valmo

Oct 5, 2015
Communication

At Mums home I just ask and they let me look at all files referiing to her. I dont know the legal position but I do not have POA but am 'Best Interest' registered with CCG.
I believe we shoud have this access as it can be beneficial to the home hearing our experience, ideas and problems with our relative. They should not have anything to hide. The only problem I have identified with records is that they name other residents in Mums file. Not good.