Advice needed on the best time of day to give donepazil

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Hi everyone

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has experience of giving their PWD donepazil, and the best time of day to do so.

Mum is on 5mg pd - she had an adverse reaction to 10mg so the doctor dropped the dose again. She always had it in her evening medication, around 5.30pm.

Recently, we visited the memory nurse and I said that Mum was having vivid dreams which often led to her waking during the night, convinced that the dream had really happened. Anything from worrying about the 'child' she is supposed to be looking after, to having imaginary conversations with my father who died in 2003. The nurse said that donepazil makes the mind more active and suggested that we move it to the morning, which I did.

However, after I'd done so, Mum got very restless during the day, and more confused that usual. Before the change, she was fairly placid, spending most of the day sleeping or watching TV. After we moved the medication, she started constantly worrying about strange things, wandering about, and sometimes hallucinating. She also had much more difficulty getting to sleep at night. However, around the same time, she contracted a UTI, which complicated her symptoms and made it difficult to tell what it was that was affecting her.

At the moment, I've moved the donepazil back to the evening, which seems to have calmed her down a little, apart from the UTI symptoms, which are making her 'crazier' than usual, which is pretty par for the course with a UTI.

My question is: has anyone else experienced their PWD reacting differently to donepazil depending on the time of day it is taken? Can anyone help me work out whether it's the UTI or the drug that is making her more restless during the day and unable to sleep at night? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hugs

Jo

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I have to say I give it in the evening and have not seen any restlessness as a result but everyone is different. I guess you have to decide when the increased restlessness is best to deal with - during the day or during the night, and whether the UTI might be half the problem.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Husband takes it in the morning which was what we were advised but no reason given for this. No side effects other than mildly loose bowel movements for a while. Sleep not so good now but think that links to recent minor stroke but cannot be sure.

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
My wife is on 10mg and takes it after her evening meal. We had a visit from the dementia nurse recently and she advised taking it in the morning if we get any sleep disturbances. This is something she has noted in other people.

Given that you have had to go back to 5mg it seems that there is more sensitivity there and it may be that even 5mg is too much at one time. Perhaps it would be worth asking whether it might be better to take a half a pill at each end of the day to smooth out the intake.

If Donepezil doesn't suit, there are alternatives such as Rivastigmine, which work the same way as Donepezil but which some people tolerate better.

mymemories

Apr 23, 2016
Hi everyone

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who has experience of giving their PWD donepazil, and the best time of day to do so.

Mum is on 5mg pd - she had an adverse reaction to 10mg so the doctor dropped the dose again. She always had it in her evening medication, around 5.30pm.

Recently, we visited the memory nurse and I said that Mum was having vivid dreams which often led to her waking during the night, convinced that the dream had really happened. Anything from worrying about the 'child' she is supposed to be looking after, to having imaginary conversations with my father who died in 2003. The nurse said that donepazil makes the mind more active and suggested that we move it to the morning, which I did.

However, after I'd done so, Mum got very restless during the day, and more confused that usual. Before the change, she was fairly placid, spending most of the day sleeping or watching TV. After we moved the medication, she started constantly worrying about strange things, wandering about, and sometimes hallucinating. She also had much more difficulty getting to sleep at night. However, around the same time, she contracted a UTI, which complicated her symptoms and made it difficult to tell what it was that was affecting her.

At the moment, I've moved the donepazil back to the evening, which seems to have calmed her down a little, apart from the UTI symptoms, which are making her 'crazier' than usual, which is pretty par for the course with a UTI.

My question is: has anyone else experienced their PWD reacting differently to donepazil depending on the time of day it is taken? Can anyone help me work out whether it's the UTI or the drug that is making her more restless during the day and unable to sleep at night? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hugs

Jo

When the Memory Clinic started my Mum on her Donepezil they told me to ignore the patient leaflet (which said for the dose to be taken in the morning) and told me that she was to take it in the morning after she has eaten her breakfast as a lot of people had reported that their loved ones had encountered sleep disturbances. She never had any problems as I stayed with her for a few nights when they started her on her medication to make sure she didn't suffer and adverse side effects - which gladly she didn't.

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
Donzepezil

My husband takes 10mg Donzepezil at bedtime he sleeps very well but some nights jumps about in bed like he is having a bad dream. He doesnt remember doing this.

Jennyc

Oct 3, 2011
Kent
When my husband was first prescribed Donepezil five year's ago or so, the Memory Clinic psychiatrist said that one of the common side effects of the drug was vivid, and often bad and disturbing dreams. She suggested ignoring the directions on the pack which said to take in the evening, and giving in the morning.

He has taken Donepezil with breakfast ever since, and I can't say I have ever noticed any adverse reaction. He's got much worse over the five years or so, but I don't think the drug has been responsible.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi everyone

Hugs

Jo

Hi

My dad who I care for is on donepezil. Haa been for few years now...I asked for further info and apparently it's suggested at night as it's something to do with how the stomach is during sleep so less lightly to affect or disturb.
My dad has a sleep disorder whilst sleeping called rapid eye or rbd. .where he has vivid dreams..since I asked the Dr to diagnose it he's been on medication thar helps that. ..
Like most people have said it's different for different people .my dad now has his in the morning. It works that way for him..
Best wishes