Court of Protection

Concerned1966

Apr 29, 2015
Hello,

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong area.

I'm helping my GF with her application to become a court appointed deputy for her mum (who has advanced dementia). We have completed the necessary paperwork and sent this to the Court of Protection (COP). The information required with regards to assets/finances/pension etc. was quite specific, and unfortunately my GF's parents have not retained much in the way of paperwork regarding their finances. We answered what we could, and provided cover notes explaining the situation (the forms don’t really allow for ‘Not known’ and in most cases figures have to be entered).

The Court has since provided us with authorisation/certification to further investigate the assets/finances of my girlfriend’s mum, and so this should hopefully cover the Data Protection angle. However, without an initial starting point/paperwork is there a way that we could access financial information based on my GF's mum's name? (e.g. via some sort of overall financial/credit file or record). This would obviously be backed up by the court approved certificates.

The Court cannot progress the case until we have investigated and reported back, but we need to have some idea of what type of pension is in place/who it’s provided by, National Insurance numbers, insurance policy details, entitlements etc. before we can make enquiries with the various departments, companies and organisations.

Any help, guidance or suggestions that anyone can provide ref. how to start the investigative process without account details/info. would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Concerned 1966
you mention pension - so I am assuming that the GF's mum is of pension age, and also may be receiving Attendance Allowance, so could the DWP be a starting point?
did she work? maybe contact the last employer if you have an idea what company that was
she must have paid Council Tax at some point, so try the Council - same with utilities esp water as I'm guessing most of us use the local company
if any one of those works, you'll at least have bank account details
if she's in a care home, they will have some details, and if not self-funding, the LA will be paying and have details esp if her pension and Attendance Allowance are being taken for fees
run out of ideas ....

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
The Court cannot progress the case until we have investigated and reported back, but we need to have some idea of what type of pension is in place/who it’s provided by, National Insurance numbers, insurance policy details, entitlements etc. before we can make enquiries with the various departments, companies and organisations.

Any help, guidance or suggestions that anyone can provide ref. how to start the investigative process without account details/info. would be most appreciated.

Thank you for your time.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I was in a similar position some years ago. The COP issued an Interim Order asking for financial details. With that order I went to banks etc and contacted all those involved with income and savings etc, all involved complied with the order and gave me the information needed to complete the court enquiries. I hope this helps. Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch