Dad so much better now taking Donepezil

ukwanderer

Jan 24, 2016
West Midlands
Thought I'd post good news for a change
Just over 2 weeks ago my 88 year old father who has mid-stage Alzheimers started taking Donepezil. Apart from making him sleepy (nods off in the time it takes me to walk into the kitchen & turn on the kettle), we've had no side-effects.
The change in him is amazing - alert, rarely searching for words, sense of humour pretty much as it's always been, short term memory vastly improved. I am so happy. :):):)

supertrooper

Jul 18, 2011
Yes I am smiling sooooo good to hear.

Does he have a B12 jab as well? Only interested because some people say they notice a marked change too in the person having this i.e more alert, less confused etc.

ukwanderer

Jan 24, 2016
West Midlands
Yes I am smiling sooooo good to hear.

Does he have a B12 jab as well? Only interested because some people say they notice a marked change too in the person having this i.e more alert, less confused etc.

No - he's never had a B12 jab, but my nan had pernicious anaemia & used to improve dramatically after her jab.

Thanks to all for kind comments

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
What a lovely post to read UKwanderer, thank you for sharing your good news and I hope your dad continues to do well and you can share lots of good times (and good humour!) with him in the times ahead.

Take care :)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
That's great news. Hoping to post similar in next week or two. About to start mum on Memantine.

velocity

Feb 18, 2013
North Notts
Dad so much better nowtaking Donepezil

Donepezil has helped my Mum too, it has helped so much with confusion, although Paranoia still seems to be present. xx

ukwanderer

Jan 24, 2016
West Midlands
Even more good news

Donepezil still working wonders, carers we have now are brilliant, felt so confident I booked a week in Corfu (leaving carers in charge, & my partner at our house to pop over to see dad, get the shopping etc for him.

Went on hols alone (there's a first time for everything), relaxed for a week floating in an empty pool / sea, having meals cooked for me. Wonderful!

And guess what? No problems in UK at all. Am thinking of doing it again later in the year - you wouldn't believe how much better I feel for the break.

Am now waiting for start date for Cognitive Stimulation Therapy for dad.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
Donepezil still working wonders, carers we have now are brilliant, felt so confident I booked a week in Corfu (leaving carers in charge, & my partner at our house to pop over to see dad, get the shopping etc for him.

Went on hols alone (there's a first time for everything), relaxed for a week floating in an empty pool / sea, having meals cooked for me. Wonderful!

And guess what? No problems in UK at all. Am thinking of doing it again later in the year - you wouldn't believe how much better I feel for the break.

Am now waiting for start date for Cognitive Stimulation Therapy for dad.

Glad you had a good time. Can't leave my mum despite having carers. Trust my husband 100% but still wouldn't feel right leaving him with my responsibility (and I would hate to holiday without him!!)