Suitable antipsychotic to use with Mirtazapine?

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Hi all - wondering if anyone knows of an anti-psychotic that works well with Mirtazapine? I know it's very individual but some experiences with this would be good. As my PWD is already on Mirtazapine it would be a lot better to stay on this rather than go on something different. The other option is to go on a different SSRI or SNRI - any good experiences with Citalopram, Sertraline or Cymbalta for anxiety/agitation? Changing SSRI/SNRI's is a longer term thing - you have to give them a lot longer to work/come off than antipsychotics - but they are safer it seems.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I'm not sure that a few people reporting good experiences with this drug or that is really going to help you or your PWD. Surely whoever is going to prescribe is the person with whom to discuss this fully.

It seems a good idea to stay with a med that may be doing good and seems to be doing no harm.

Why are anti-psychotics being considered? The Alz Society has a number of factsheets which discuss their use with PWD and these may be of interest if you haven't seen them already:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/google_results.php?q=antipsychotics

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Anti-psychotics should really only be used as a last resort and then very sparingly and short-term as they don't really go with dementia and could do more harm than good.

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
quetiapine is working wonders for the wife,now the dosage has been doubled to 2x25mg,night tremors kicked in to touch 99% of the time,it was a last resort for me to ask,i was fully aware of the possible outcome,but quality of life is better than quantity,before was just heartbreaking to see.

Last edited:

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
My mother was prescribed Amisulpride and Mirtazapine in combo. The Amisulpride to ease the agitation and delusions, and Mirtazapine to help her sleep. The psychiatrist said mum was depressed. I know she wasn't, it was the dementia doing its thing. A few weeks in, psych, visited again and said she should stay on the Amisulpride for a year! Mirt. for ever, it seems. I weaned her off both (I KNOW antipsychotics are bad for elderly and PWD) and she is a lot better. She was never depressed. She did need the antipsychotic, but only briefly. I think there is a lot of overmedication out there.

Sorry, probably slightly off topic. I think antipsychotics have their uses, but I recall during mum's last hospitalisation, both mental health professionals who came to see her kept stressing that they should only be used sparingly with the elderly. Everything I have read supports this. I think if a bit more time was spent monitoring people and taking note of what those closest to them say and think, then the medics would align the meds more sensibly. Of course, none of them have time for this, sadly.

Marmotta838

Apr 16, 2016
Australia
Thanks everyone

Thanks StanleyPJ - thanks for that link - seems like they really are a last resort. I have just written a new post with the current problems asking if anyone has any ideas how to fix with them without anti-psychotics. I would indeed prefer to stay with the MIrtazapine rather than chopping and changing which means both withdrawals then side-effects from the new one....
Thanks Malc – certainly worth considering. Sorry to hear about your situation – you are so kind and caring and your wife is so lucky to have you
Thanks MarnieC – very courageous of you to take her off them both! Well done! I would like to do the same….. but I’d have to take her out of the Home. It all comes down to number and staff and funding in the end….

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch