Advice required for daychair for immobile dementia sufferer

CrystalWand

Nov 9, 2015
Hi
I'm sure I read a post somewhere on here about this but can't find it now :confused:
My MIL suffers dementia after a stroke which left her immobile apart from the use of her right arm.
She currently has a normal recliner chair which has been fine up until now as the angle it goes to stops her toppling forward, however she seems to be rolling to the side and is beginning to suffer from pressure sores.
I am looking at finding a chair which she can be hoisted into, supports her back and stops her rolling to the side, can be wiped (she wears pads and sometimes leaks) and helps to prevent pressure sores. I'm going to contact our local stroke team to seek their advice but I wondered whether anyone here had bought similar recently and did they find it helped?
Many thanks
Crystalwand x

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
My MIL was about the same and we got her a Kirton Florien chair with lateral supports so she can spend time out of bed.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. I'm not sure what they are called, but whilst in hospital I had a what I call a dynamic pressure pad for my chair, it works the same as the mattresses , inflates and deflates in cycles. I've checked on google but can only find mattresses .
Your stroke team should know, if not then the district nurses if they are visiting, if not ask the GP to refer you to the occupational therapist, they should ne able to help with chairs too.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi. I'm not sure what they are called, but whilst in hospital I had a what I call a dynamic pressure pad for my chair, it works the same as the mattresses , inflates and deflates in cycles. I've checked on google but can only find mattresses .
Your stroke team should know, if not then the district nurses if they are visiting, if not ask the GP to refer you to the occupational therapist, they should ne able to help with chairs too.

Is this it Lin?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Squirrel-Me...7447&sr=8-1&keywords=Dynamic+pressure+cushion

CrystalWand

Nov 9, 2015
Dear all, sorry I haven't been able to check my posts for a few days.
Thank you so much for your replies, I will check out the links and arrange for a chair for her this next week :)
Crystalwand x

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch