Student researching into Dementia. Any help would be very appreciated! :)

lauralou93

Feb 23, 2016
Hi, I am currently a student researching into Alzheimers and Dementia. My grandad has recently been diagnosed with the early stages of dementia and I am hoping to find out more as well. It is also the reason I have chosen it to look at as my final year project, it's very close to my heart. I am hoping some of you may be able to share your experiences with me to help me with my project. It would be very appreciated and you can share as little or as much as you like.

lauralou93

Feb 23, 2016
Thank you!

Hi

I am very willing to answer questions. I was diagnosed with vascular dementia nearly 2 years ago

Thank you, it's very much appreciated!
If you don't want to answer something I completely understand :)

What is it like living with dementia and do you find it a struggle at all?

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
There are days when I am probably as good as ever I was. Other days I can barely do anything for myself. Communication can be difficult. The most difficult is using the phone.
I had to retire from my job as a teacher and DVLA cancelled my license. My wife is my carer

lauralou93

Feb 23, 2016
There are days when I am probably as good as ever I was. Other days I can barely do anything for myself. Communication can be difficult. The most difficult is using the phone.
I had to retire from my job as a teacher and DVLA cancelled my license. My wife is my carer

I'm so sorry to hear that.
I have seen my grandad recently and some days he can be very talkative and others it is more difficult to get him talking. He sometimes talks about things that haven't happened, like he has imagined them in his head or his mind is playing tricks on him. Is this something you've experienced at all?

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I quite often will say something. My family either try to guess what it relates to or ask what the conversation is about... things like there is enough left for one... coming from nowhere. I am convinced that they have taken part in the conversation with me. It's really upsetting

lauralou93

Feb 23, 2016
That's the same kind of situation as my grandad. It is very upsetting and knowing there are so many people, like yourself and your family dealing with the illness is very sad.

Is there anything that you think is the most important thing about dementia that you wouldn't find from researching on the internet?

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Hi
Looks like you have tremendous passion for learning more about this complex disease. If I can help, let me know. I have been diagnosed with dementia. No specific dementia. See my postings to learn how it affects my life. I wish your grandparent and you a kind journey .

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
Just wondering if you are the same student with a grandfather who was thrown off the Alz Board in the US? Personally, having Alz isn't something I discuss with students who claim to have an interest. But that's just me.

lauralou93

Feb 23, 2016
Just wondering if you are the same student with a grandfather who was thrown off the Alz Board in the US? Personally, having Alz isn't something I discuss with students who claim to have an interest. But that's just me.

This is my first time on the site and I'm from the UK :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lauralou I think if you had a good read through some of the threads on the forum you would get an excellent idea of what people are facing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch