TVs in NHs

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Last edited:

Clueless2

May 14, 2015
Thank you nitram, I will try to follow up the links on a working day!

It will be interesting, the DVDs are I think of BBC programmes as opposed to films. Perhaps I will call the BBC and see what possible objections they might have to having their work played on the DVD player within a care home environment!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I don't get that - so a care home is showing it in public? I thought a care home was a private residence but multiple occupation (no not as in hmo lol)
and why are there the rules from the TV licensing for care homes and then more rules from elsewhere. No wonder CH's spend too much time fiddling around.
Anyway every care home I've ever been to (and I have been to many many many) all have a dvd collection so hopefully they are not breaching laws

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Tv

Found this thread - don't get me started on TVs in CHs!
My Mum hasn't had TV in her home for 40 years - she hates it, as do I. I accept we're not the norm.
In the lounges at her CH, the TVs are on constantly and it drives Mum up the wall. The residents are simply plonked in front of it in the hope that it will entertain them. IMHO this does nothing to stimulate conversation.
I had to buy her a radio when I was over, preset all her favourite stations on it and plug it in in her room.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Anyway every care home I've ever been to (and I have been to many many many) all have a dvd collection so hopefully they are not breaching laws"

Unless they have a licence they are, even local authorities get caught out.

WHAT a Carry On! Elderly film fans have been forced to cancel plans to screen the classic comedy series at their care home, after they were told they did not have a licence.

Castle Point Council told residents at the Lawns Court sheltered housing complex, off the Lawns, Benfleet, they were not licensed to show DVDs and videos in the building’s communal room.

An internal investigation by the authority found none of its eight sheltered homes had the required Public Video Screening Licence.

The council has refused to stump up the annual £99 fee for the document.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9145603.Council_halts_group_s_film_screenings/

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I don't get that - so a care home is showing it in public? I thought a care home was a private residence but multiple occupation (no not as in hmo lol)
and why are there the rules from the TV licensing for care homes and then more rules from elsewhere. No wonder CH's spend too much time fiddling around.
Anyway every care home I've ever been to (and I have been to many many many) all have a dvd collection so hopefully they are not breaching laws
Having the DVD collection in a CH is not an offence. If all residents played one in their own room all is well. It is only when the CH play them in a communal area they need a licence. I would imagine most CH's have one as there are people who get paid commission to protect the copyright.

This is no different to your local kwik fit, hairdresser, CH, layby sandwich wagon or any business having a radio playing in the background. A licence is needed.

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
I really appreciate the input from you all. I'm going to state my concerns - yet again- in writing to management. As I said at the start, it no longer affects my dad, but I consistently see how the TV affects others. No-one in my dad's home can 'watch' tv anymore. It's just a terrible noise for many.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
"Anyway every care home I've ever been to (and I have been to many many many) all have a dvd collection so hopefully they are not breaching laws"

Unless they have a licence they are, even local authorities get caught out.

WHAT a Carry On! Elderly film fans have been forced to cancel plans to screen the classic comedy series at their care home, after they were told they did not have a licence.

Castle Point Council told residents at the Lawns Court sheltered housing complex, off the Lawns, Benfleet, they were not licensed to show DVDs and videos in the building’s communal room.

An internal investigation by the authority found none of its eight sheltered homes had the required Public Video Screening Licence.

The council has refused to stump up the annual £99 fee for the document.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9145603.Council_halts_group_s_film_screenings/

Oh my goodness that is scary!!! I might spread the word - the fee isn't high

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Having the DVD collection in a CH is not an offence. If all residents played one in their own room all is well. It is only when the CH play them in a communal area they need a licence. I would imagine most CH's have one as there are people who get paid commission to protect the copyright.

This is no different to your local kwik fit, hairdresser, CH, layby sandwich wagon or any business having a radio playing in the background. A licence is needed.

I get it thanks

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
I used to do bed and breakfast and had a radio on quietly in the dining room to create a relaxing atmosphere. I was told on one of my inspections that I could not play the radio in the dining room as I didn't have a license but it was ok if it was on in the kitchen and the guests overheard it from there!!!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Playing music is normally covered by the Performing Rights Society and they do exempt the fee for
"PRS for Music does not charge for music use in residential homes, where the use is consistent with normal domestic music use. For example, the following uses would not be charged:
•Background music use in bedrooms, flats and communal areas
•Informal performances of music
•Formal performances of music where no related charge is made to the residents.

Films or DVD's however don't get the same exemption as far as I can see so you would need a licence.
K
http://www.prsformusic.com/users/businessesandliveevents/Pages/PRSforMusicchargingpolicies.aspx#1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mark65