What to say.

silverlining18

Dec 23, 2014
My husband and I care for his Mum who has Alzheimer's. When she comes to ours for a meal she asks where "the lady, man, lad" has gone. If we reply that there wasn't anybody there she gets anxious. If we say "they" have gone, she gets upset saying it's because of her that they have left. This goes on for hours. Is there a right response?:confused:

marchbank

Jun 5, 2009
Ask her

Silverlining when she says she or he ask her who she sees. If she answers try and go with that. If not try and divert her into talking about something that is happening around her. Sometimes it won't work but sometimes it does. Good luck.

oldfella

Nov 26, 2012
somerset
what to say

Hi Silverlining my wife does a similar thing. all I say is that they have just popped to the toilet or into the garage to get something and will be back in a few mins, this seems to satisfy her for a short while, then I repeat the same thing over and over again.
Good luck with dealing with this terrible situation.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mum sometimes asks me where has such and such a body gone, I usually just tell her they had to leave, but we will see them tomorrow or they will call her later. Oh that's good, she says, I was worried about them leaving so quickly.

wobbly

Feb 14, 2012
Mid Wales
we have that and usually "oh they had to go back to work" or home to bed not feeling too well etc works.......