What to other distance carers do?

Roseylee

Sep 24, 2014
Quite agree with all the posts on here. Mum has been in hospital 4 times in 4 months, and is still in there, with heart attack, and d&v bug. both my sister and I are a 2 hour drive away. She had been at home with carers who were utterly useless (this is after a SW visited to ask what sort or care Mum needed without reference to us, as we didn't even know she had been, and took Mum on face value who told SW she was absolutely fine and didnt need assistance!! So they factored in 2 x half hour visits per day- quite how SS can accept the thoughts of anyone with Alzheimers as the gospel truth is beyond me). She has fallen in hospital, has had a bleed on her brain, and a UTI, yet still she soldiers on. Several times in the last 3 weeks since she has been in, we have prepared for the worst, only to find she has rallied!! As a family we have now decided enough is enough and we need to search for a proper care home for her where I know, once settled she will enjoy the feeling that she is safe. This will probably involve moving LA's which I envisage being a problem in itself. I feel awful that she will spend Xmas in hosptial, but at the same time she has to be safe, and frankly I do not even think she will realise it's chrismtas, plus we will need time to pick out a suitable place for her which will mean more travelling around - anyone else in the same boat? So anxious that SS do not kick her out before Xmas - can't believe they will given her history, but our experience of the system is not good at all. Any reassurance or ideas anyone?