Advice Please

alielbutterfly

Nov 20, 2014
Hi

My dad is caring for my mum who has had alzheimers for the last 9 years and the decision has been made for my mum to go into a care. My mum would be self funding for 3/4 months my dad would like to know after that can attendance allowance be used to top up the fee the local authority pay.?

Many thanks
alielbutterfly

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Attendance Allowance will only continue to be paid to a person in a care home if they are self-funding. If they are not, the allowance stops I am afraid. Social services should try to find a care home that suits her needs within their budget so that there is no extra to pay. If there are top-up fees, they can only be paid by third parties usually. Do not sign any fee contracts in haste!

Last edited:

alielbutterfly

Nov 20, 2014
Attendance Allowance will only continue to be paid to a person in a care home if they are self-funding. If they are not, the allowance stops I am afraid. The care home should try to find a care home that suits her needs within their budget so that there is no extra to pay. If there are top-up fees, they can only be paid by third parties usually. Do not sign any fee contracts in haste!

thank you

my dad would like to know does her other income ie pension count towards care cost/top up? or is that stopped too?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
thank you

my dad would like to know does her other income ie pension count towards care cost/top up? or is that stopped too?

If your Mother's care needs LA input then her pension/s will be used as her contribution with the LA contribution added to it. If she has a private pension your Dad will be allowed to keep half of that.

She will be allowed to keep approx £24 per week from her pension to cover her personal expenses.

Jay

Top up if paid cannot be made by the cared for, they have to be paid by family, friends or anyone willing to pay.

alielbutterfly

Nov 20, 2014
If your Mother's care needs LA input then her pension/s will be used as her contribution with the LA contribution added to it. If she has a private pension your Dad will be allowed to keep half of that.

She will be allowed to keep approx £24 per week from her pension to cover her personal expenses.

Jay

Top up if paid cannot be made by the cared for, they have to be paid by family, friends or anyone willing to pay.

thank you for your advice

realist1234

Oct 30, 2014
I too would encourage you to look for a care home that only charges the fee rate that the LA would pay. Here in NI, that is currently £481 per week (or £581 if a nursing home). If you choose one that costs more, then you or another family member will have to make up the difference (unless the LA cannot offer a place at the cheaper rate). We, as a family, are currently having to pay £90 per week in 'top-up' fee (ie £4600 per year!) because we chose a more expensive one. Having been there for a while, we see no difference in the care provided so given the choice again, we would have tried a cheaper place. I would advise you should read the inspection reports completed by the CQC on any homes you think might be suitable. Wherever your mum lives, I hope she finds contentment.

Hi

My dad is caring for my mum who has had alzheimers for the last 9 years and the decision has been made for my mum to go into a care. My mum would be self funding for 3/4 months my dad would like to know after that can attendance allowance be used to top up the fee the local authority pay.?

Many thanks
alielbutterfly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare