Mum forgot how to turn TV on.

alison1981

Dec 13, 2013
Mum came and asked me to turn her the TV on. I said mum you know how to turn the TV on! She said I don't, will you do it for me please? I switched it on for her and she sounded so relieved. Surely she can't have deteriorated this fast.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Yes it can happen. Want they know how to do one day, they may not know the next.
Mum who has always done the laundry, is starting to have issues with the washing machine, insisting its broken. The simple microwave I bought them, with less buttons, Mum forgets how to use, and will put something on for 10 mns instead of 1mn.
With Mum & Dads TV, having a remote to turn the TV on, and Sky TV remote was too complicated.
I took the remote away, and taped over the buttons on the side panel of the TV except for the red ON/OFF switch.
Now they only use the Sky remote for switching channels, but ocassionaly will switch the Sky decoder box off, and neither of them can figure it out.

If your Mums TV remote has lots of buttons, you may need to consider a simpler universal TV remote.

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
It can change minute by minute. The tv stays on the same channel these days as he has no idea how to change it but he did remember the clocks go back an hour this weekend. Whether he still does remains to be seen.

tuscon

Oct 1, 2014
My mum, while she was still in her sheltered accommodation, would phone me to say she could not turn the sound on the t.v down (I could hear it blaring in the background) and even though I had marked her control she would press the number buttons on the telephone instead. Similarly if the doorbell rang, she would pick up the phone. She too forgot how to change channels or, sometimes, how to swith it on. She would then say it was broken. Trying to sort something like this out over the phone was a nightmare. Thankfully, now that she is in a home, this is not a problem and although there is a tv in her room, she has no wish to watch it. She thinks someone is inside it talking to her. Oh how cruel and heart breaking this disease is.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
With Mil, it can all change so quickly - about 3 months ago, she started having problems with the TV here, changing channels instead of volume, or vice versa, and then - very quickly - getting stuck on switching it on. I thought her ability to manage the remote had gone completely, but about 3 weeks ago I walked into the front room and found that in the 2 minutes she had been left in there alone, she had managed to find the games on sky, and was merrily playing 'Beehive Bedlam' - which she use to play years ago! It seemed she just fancied a game - or so she said - and somehow managed to navigate the necessary menus with absolutely no problem at all. However the next day, when I suggested she play it again, as she said she was 'bored', she couldn't remember how to even turn the TV on :( I don't think she has managed to turn on the TV since then, actually - but who knows - she might do it tomorrow!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare