Maggie Thatcher has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Another article is making reference to the poignant tribute from Alzheimer's Research UK. She became a Patron of this in 2001.

There's another article which has a banner over it stating 'disease That Can Progress For A Decade'.

At least it's not being ignored.

Last edited:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I would like there to be more publicity about her AD because i get so sick of people thinking that it wouldn't happen to people with active minds. Think what you like about her, she didn't bring it on herself by being mentally lazy.

Last edited:

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I suspect my thoughts on Thatcher would not stay here for a full minute should I press "send"..so I shall simply say, to die in ones sleep in a suite at the Ritz...what a way to go

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
Baroness Thatcher

Whatever your politics this lady proved to be a strong and positive leader who changed many people's perceptions. We will not see her like again for quite a while.

RIP Mrs. Thatcher

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Having watched the tributes on television yesterday, there was no mention of her dementia.

Perhaps it was more that they were covering her active political life, and they shied away from focussing on her latter years of decline after she left office. Similarly, Ronald Reagan had dementia; both had been powerful world figures in their time, and their later ill health was not part of the story of their personal achievements.

Certainly, seeing her going out to address the party conference in Brighton just 4 hours after the bombing in the middle of the night, and speaking so strongly, she was an incredible woman.

The recent film of her life focused on her dementia, rather than her political life; that received worldwide coverage, and her daughter was criticised for talking of her mother's dementia; I think we have a long way to go on the matter of acceptance.

As always, dementia is a sad and cruel disease, robbing the sufferer of their true essence. The place that she spent her final days in, and what we are told of her cause of death is neither here nor there (and dont forget, we are told what they want us to hear) she was a mother and loved family member, and it will be a sad loss for those who were close to her.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I admired the lady, she had more balls than any of the politicians today. She stood up to those in the EU and followed her convictions to send 'our boys' (as she called them) half way round the world to defend the Falklands, I wonder if any of the politicians today would have the balls to do that today if Argentina decide to invade again?
My condolences to her family, I would send a card but no idea where to send it (except c/o 10 Downing Street).

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
At last in today's Guardian under the heading "Personal Life Dementia Slowly Eroded Formidable Memory" there is a mention. Carol Thatcher said her mum kept asking the same questions over and over unaware she was doing so. She also said that Denis's death was truly awful for her mother not least because her dementia meant she kept forgetting he was dead and that on bad days she could hardly remember the beginning of a sentence by the time she got to the end.
She was looked after by a private nurse who had been with her for the last four years and additionally another nurse was employed six months ago as her needs increased. I feel this is what we would all want for our relatives but it must be hard to stomach for those who are allocated four quarter of an hour visits by carers each day.
I feel that when my mum died in 2011 with Vascular Dementia that I did not want to focus on her last few difficult years but rather on her life before the dementia so why should I think it should be any different for Mrs Thatcher?
Well, because I suppose she was a public figure and also because when I see these articles about avoiding dementia by doing crossword puzzles etc to keep your mind active then this rubbish would be debunked as having an active mind did not save Mrs Thatcher from dementia.
Politically I could not be further away from her but I still feel compassion for her family
Tre

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi the problem with mentioning dementia after watching the film people would hear the word dementia and think it means senile dementia that’s where the stigma comes in when in fact we can have dementia and still be 90% active in many things and live for years, so I’m glad dementia isn’t mentioned.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Does it really matter whether people liked her or not?She is another victim of dementia,she has a family that will grieve for her.

My mother was disliked or hated by most people,when she died i became a recluse because everyone that knew mum would love to tell me that the world was better without her in it.It tore me apart.

I had to move 180 miles to get away,now,if anyone sees her photo they will say 'what a lovely lady.'

Hi Kassy hope every thing is well with you now , unfortunately a lot of us with dementia are put in the same situation as your mum I just say F um it wouldn’t make a lot of difference to my dementia weather they like me or not however I know some people do worry take care

Tony

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I agree Barry. I just can't believe there has been no mention of it.

I'm not sure she did have Alzheimer's though: stroke induced vascular dementia, yes, but not AD.

This is what my mother had.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm not sure she did have Alzheimer's though: stroke induced vascular dementia, yes, but not AD.

This is what my mother had.

When I first posted though there had been little mention of dementia at all. My mother also had vascular dementia.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
If what has been written today is accurate, Maggie Thatcher had a series of 'small strokes' before her first stroke in 2001. This suggests vascular dementia.

As Izzy said, the Mail has a section concerning her health; 'Frail final years of the Iron Lady'. Although it describes her failing abilities it does not actually say that she had dementia. 'Fragile mental state' is the description. There is also a mention that she became patron of Alzheimer's Research UK around the time following her stroke in August 2001.

In another section a Conservative MP makes a reference to Ronald Regan suffering very badly in his final years with Alzheimer's. He then says "Although she did not have Alzheimer's, her memory and mind were not by any means as sharp as it was".

No her memory and mind would not be sharp as they were. She had demenita.

Why the tip-toeing around the word 'dementia'.

Why should there be a stigma concerning dementia when it is an illness.

Remembering the outcry from various politicians following the film about Maggie Thatcher livng with dementia, they seemed to see it as a stigma. We do have a long way to go....

I wonder if the younger generations will be the ones to end this attitude. Our grandchildren live a distance away but have visited my husband in his care home and they have been great with him. Many other grandchildren will be famiar with grandparents who have dementia, both at home and in care homes. There are children living with a parent with early onslaught dementia. Perhaps the younger generations will help to change the negative attitudes of so many of the general public.

Thanks for the links in other newspapers, I shall read them.

Politics aside, I feel for her and her family.

Loo

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
It is interesting to read this thread and watch the news. Margaret Thatcher had Dementia, not important the exact type. She could have been so useful to raising awareness, i.e. dementia hits the good, the bad and the ugly, no preferences, no mercy.

It is so disappointing that the media, who are usually panting to share gorey details, are being so sensitive and respectful that they can only mention frailty and stroke. Yet another clear pointer that Dementia is taboo, and as such is hidden in the closet. This just makes everything more difficult for those of us who either have dementia (whatever type) or care for someone with dementia. Dementia is unmentionable in polite circles.

I hope Alz Soc won't allow this to be swept under the carpet. What is the official stance of Alz Org - are efforts made to harness the profile of prominent people? Perhaps right now (due to family and grief etc) isn't the perfect moment, but later, it is important to highlight that respectable, intelligent, prominent people get dementia and are no different in diagnosis, care or outcome from those with dementia who represent the other side of the personality spectrum.

Ritz or no Ritz, it is a sad day for Dementia. Another opportunity lost.

Last edited:

Jayne61

Aug 28, 2011
Staffordshire
Why the tip-toeing around the word 'dementia'.

Why should there be a stigma concerning dementia when it is an illness.

Loo

I was curious about this so had a look at some US papers, they all mentioned dementia, I'm not sure why the british press seem to be avoiding it as Carol Thatcher said some time ago that her mother had dementia, so presumably doesn't mind it being in the public domain.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/w...f-britain-has-died.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hpw

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-margaret-thatcher-20130409,0,7418326.story

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3ce36a-a056-11e2-bd52-614156372695_story.html

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Margaret Thatcher's life wasn't about her demise, her Dementia.

As much as I dislike her and her ideologies (and I did, with knobs on) it's quite right that she isn't defined by the nature of her death.

It's not an advertising opportunity.

She was what she was, Dementia was her end.

She had a beginning and a middle.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm not sure why the british press seem to be avoiding it as Carol Thatcher said some time ago that her mother had dementia, so presumably doesn't mind it being in the public domain.

I doubt that it's a case of ignoring it but more that she isn't being defined by the means of her death but by what she achieved in her life.
When people speak of Ronald Reagan, they know he had AD but they speak of how he lived, not died.
That is what will go down in history.

In the same way, I hope my husband will not be remembered for his dementia but for his life before it.
Likewise, if the same should happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssr1126