Coconut Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckyJan

I am concerned that this is publicizing a product which may not necessarily be in the health interests of all members.

Members need to pay attention to our Terms and Conditions especially 1.3:
• 1.1 The purpose of this site is to provide a safe forum for people to share experiences and help each other cope with the challenges of living with or caring for people with dementia.
• 1.2 The moderators of this site cannot be expected to pre-check the content posted via the discussion system and therefore we make no claims as to the accuracy, integrity, timeliness or quality of such content.
• 1.3 This site is not a substitute for professional advice. You should consult your doctor, or other relevant professional, before making any decisions that could affect you or others

joannesford

Account Closed
I use coconut oil

My dad has Parkinsons, and I truely believe I am Pre-Parkinsons. I know doctors do not believe in a Pre-Parkinsons, but if you saw my symptoms you would know what I am talking about

Anyway, I am not taking any chances. Both my dad and myself are on this program

(Link removed by Moderator as it contravenes T & Cs) I follow it to the letter, my dad follows it 90%. Both of us are doing extremely well.

As you can see it takes some reading, and my dad is not able to do the reading. Fortunately he has me to read it and work things out for him. a person with Alzheimers would need help to do this. But it works, and it is very close (but better I feel) to the other mainly coconut oil style programmes on the internet promoted to assist folk with illnesses that can lead to Dementia

If you do read the information on the site and maybe join the support group there you will have all the information you need but if anybody want to ask me anything more, I will be more than happy to share with you what both me and my dad are doing to get well

Kind regards

Joanne

Last edited by a moderator:

joannesford

Account Closed
Sadly I do not have much time to spend online tonight but I wanted to share this Youtube blogg. When you open it and look to the right there are plenty of other stories that are just as interesting but this one is new and I am thinking you may not have seen seen this here. I will when I get time share more regarding my dad and me and how the coconut oil is helping both of us but for now I do hope you enjoy this and I hope it give hope and help to all of you because this stuff is very good, and seriously worth a try. Well I think so. Anyway, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tpPUsh74YM&feature=related

All my love joanne

Barry

Tina is correct this thread is getting out of control and contravenes TP rules as it’s is advertising… and also giving Medical advice… which nobody should do on this website… and yes Ted I did get muddled up with “Lactic and Lauric” but then I get muddled up everyday!!!

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
Suggesting people change from using cooking oils that promote inflammation to one that reduces inflammation is NOT advertising nor does it constitute medical advice.

If anyone has any concerns about changing the type of oil they cook their bacon and eggs in then it's reasonable they have access to the science that shows what the effects of coconut oil are on health. I've just provided links to the evidence and some links to articles where that evidence is discussed in a more readable manner.

It doesn't matter to me whether you change your cooking oil or not nor do I have any interest in where you buy your coconut oil except I do think that UK health food shops overcharge for Virgin Coconut oil but there are sources where if you buy in bulk it works out affordable (in relation to olive oil).

In my blog I've put details of the science that supports a lower carbohydrate diet for AD. I've also provided evidence for the role of infection in the development and progression of the condition. There is a mass of evidence that indicates poor immune function is implicated in AD. Because CO enhances immune function with an anti microbial action against pathogenic gut flora, and our digestive system is a major element of our immune function it's of considerable value to vulnerable people to use whatever means possible to enhance their immune status.

As Metabolic syndrome often precedes Diabetes and AD it's important to understand how Medium Chain Triglycerides and the oils that contain them can be used in the treatment and prevention of that condition. Making that research available and discussing that research is not the same as giving medical advice.

What we shouldn't do is try to demonise a simple natural product that has been used by primitive cultures to sustain health over the whole of human evolution.

replacement of dietary (n-6) fatty acids with medium-chain triglycerides decreases inflammation

The site has a very usuable Edit Ignore List and those people who are not interested in improving their health are very welcome to use that Edit Ignore List to avoid reading particular posters whose posts they are not interested in reading.

Last edited:

joannesford

Account Closed
In America they are getting results with coconut oil, but in England this food is ?

I understand peoples concern regarding this information relating to MCT Oils, I was much the same when folk first told me about it. And I do not think it is right for folk to spam sites.

I do not make any money at all from anything I have told you about here. I also cannot give people advice. I can tell people where I get my advice from but at the same time I do not want to cause any upset

Is there a way that folk here that do want to know what I do to help my dad eat correctly for his condition can contact me directly. I would leave my own email address on site if that was allowed

I know it is sometimes hard to believe there are genuine folk out there that are willing to give you what they know for free without any conditions attached, but there are.

My desire to pass this information on comes from a hope I have that soon folk in the UK will be like the Americans, demanding change, and rights to proper nutrition for not just their elderly but for everybody.

Many, many, many doctors in the USA, and I mean many, believe the low fat diet our cuture promotes is dangerous and leads to degenerative conditions. In the USA doctors and lay folk are allowed to say this. In England it is much harder.

But if these doctors in America are right and we ignore them and stay with the diet they used to use over there before they figured this out. Then we could be making a mistake

All I can tell you is this. My dad, and I used to eat the low fat diet promoted in England and we were both very sick. Now we eat the high fat diet promoted in America for Dementia, Alzheimers and Parkinsons and we are not so sick. In fact we are brilliantly well. But that is just my opinion and I am nobody. Just a person that turned up on your site one day

But I have links to thousands of studies and plenty of other folk, mainly in the States that are doing this

I am not here to promote a particular brand or a particular programme. I have mentioned the program I am on and my dad is on, because we are on that programme. But there are loads in America, loads of them

How are people in the UK that have dementia supposed to find out about this is we the folk that know about it do not tell them and their families about it?

Like I said, if there is a way that folk here can email me direct and they want to email me direct they can do. But really I think it is a bit much when folk are being forbidden from speaking about good food. And please do not tell me this is not good food because in many cultures coconut oil is the main oil used, and these cultures do not have the level of dementia we that eat lots of vegetable fats have

Many althernative doctors and mainstream doctors in the USA advocate these ideas when it comes to fat

http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats.html

I have many many many reports from doctors promoting these ideas

Only a few UK doctors know about this. Are UK doctors right or are the American doctors right?

Also, I have told my doctor I am on this diet and I am under a dietician at an NHS Hospital. she has told me my diet is not lacking in anyway, and she is extraordinarily pleased with my progress. My dads doctor is not as supportive, but like his doctor has said, he has never heard of it. Should my dad be deprived of this help just because his doctor has never heard of it?

further more, folk may think food cannot get folk well, but if it is the food in the first place that makes us poorly, perhaps correcting this will make a signifcant difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iScs0uzQZFk&feature=related

One day I do hope that the Lord will make it possible for me to help hundreds if not thousands of people with this, but right now I have a husband who has had a brain heamorhage, a poorly sister and a poorly dad to care for. So I cannot help people with this. But I can tell people where I get my help from and they can go there if they want to

Anyway, I am not offended in any way. I do know there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there that do target sites and try to sell hog wash products and frankly tell lies about recoveries and so on. I promise you hand on heart I am not one of those people and my simply sharing what I do and where I go in the way that I have is not a sales tactic, it is simply I do not have time to explain all I do. Folk do need to study this. Sadly folk have to study this themselves because doctors in the UK are not aware of the things that work. Why? I do not have time to work that out as well. All I know is they do not know about these things. Even my doctor did not know about this until I told her about it

Thanks for listening. If anybody does want more information if you ask the moderators for my email address I sincerely hope they will give it to you

Kindest regards

Joanne

Last edited:

FifiMo

Joanne

Just leave a note telling people to PM you if they want more information. There is a PM (Private Messages) facility as part of the forum. If you want to exchange your email addresses in PM's then you can do it there.

On my screen the link to my private messaging facility is under the Welcome note telling me when i last visited the site at the top right hand side of the page.

Fi

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
Joanne

Just leave a note telling people to PM you if they want more information. There is a PM (Private Messages) facility as part of the forum. If you want to exchange your email addresses in PM's then you can do it there.

On my screen the link to my private messaging facility is under the Welcome note telling me when i last visited the site at the top right hand side of the page.

Fi
My view is that the evidence I provide is backed up by links to the scientific research I'm relying on. If people want to debate that evidence they can do the same as I do. Go to the pubmed database. Produce the science that supports their understanding of the situation and then we discuss the issue in public and I can try to explain why I think my understanding of the latest science is justified. I'm very happy to go into greater detail on the science because that is what I enjoy reading and I've access to an online library that lets me read the full text of many (but not all) papers on the topic.
We should not be made to feel guilty about discussing the most recent scientific evidence nor should it be a topic relegated to exchanges in PM's.
Those who want to discuss/debate the latest science should be able to do so and those who aren't intersted should have enough sense to use the Edit ignore list.

joannesford

Account Closed
Coconut oil is sold in all major supermarkets in the UK

Why does it have to be a secret that coconut oil can help people with dementia? A lot of people believe cod liver oil can also help people with dementia, I take plenty of that daily too. People never seem to bother much when I tell them cod liver oil helps me too, but when I mention the coconut oil it bothers them. But coconut oil is significanltly better than cod liver oil for helping me, and others with their signs of dementia and other degenerative disease

I have linked certain sites that promote this idea but none of the sites I mention charge for information. And since I am not agents for these sites I do not think this can be considered advertising.

Each site I have mentioned holds its own merits in different ways, but the one site where there is backed up information relating to the best foods and supplements that you can use when following a Ketogenic diet, only promote foods and supplements that can be bought at, (I will not mention the company name), the main health food store in England or even at local less well known health stores. You have deleted that information. This is why now I am saying folk should contact me direct, but really this is silly because the information is available on the Internet for free, and on that same site are forums with people using coconut oil and other good quality foods getting themselves well

Folk here could go there and find out for themselves what other people are saying, but now they cannot go there, even though the information on that site is free and even though joining that forum is free and eventhough the everyday folk there are happy to tell folk about their experience regarding eating these natural foods (not chemical drugs) natural foods, and how their health has improved

I could understand you not wanting me to promote an unchecked chemical drug, but when folk are not allowed to read about how certain foods and natural supplements (which I repeat are sold at Britains number one health store and at most health stores) seems silly.

I know you may not have known this at the time when I posted that information, but you do know it now. And if you go to that site and see if they are selling anything that cannot be bought from a healthfood store, even most supermarkets sell most of the foods and supplements mentioned there. In fact when I think about it, yes, the supermarkets here do sell the foods and supplements mentioned, I just cannot guarentee the quality, of every food and supplement sold every where in England, folk, unfortunately need to decide that one for themselves, but the sites I mention do help each individual decide this for themselves.

My dad and my aunt used to eat a vegan style diet. They did eat small amounts of fish and chicken occasionally, and I ate somewhat like them but I liked the chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc

Anyway, my dad and aunt , and me too decided we would move away from that kind of eating when we read this

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archive...movement-develop-parkinsons-case-studies.html

This case study is not absolute proof that low fat/high carb eating is at the route of our illnesses (My dad and aunt have parkinsons and I have very similar symptoms) but other studies have shown this. (By the way this is an English site, one of the very few online brave enough to discuss this subject)

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/alzheimers.html

And there is also this

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2006/05/study-very-high-fat-nearly-zero-carb.html

Now I would like to discuss more regarding the site you have removed because frankly that site is the most accurate and the most informative. And rather than send folk all the way around the Internet, like what I had to do to get this information in the first place I think it would be easier for everybody if they just went straight to the people that know about this and can help folk with this

But I do not know whether you will reinstate that link or not. So in the meantime I am happy to post other sites that are frankly saying the same thing, but it really is complicating a very straight forward issue posting in this way. Further more, to understand this, folk will need to do some reading. It is not hard to eat the way I am talking about, just a bit confusing because over the years here in England we have been given some incorrect information about which foods lead to good health and it does take folk time to appreciate this. But once they do, and they call down to thier supermarket and they eat low carb and plenty of coconut oil for a few days and after about four days they do start talking more fluently and walking better etc, these folk when told, 'oh you cant eat coconut oil because it might be dangerous and it has not been tested' usually turn around and say something like, 'Are you kidding or what?'

But again I cannot come around to anybodies house and show them this, wish I could, wish I could. I show folk in my every day life, but the world is too big

So unfortunately, anybody that does want to try this will have to buy the coconut oil and a few other things, cod liver oil, olive oil, sea salt etc, for their usual supermarket, or health store or the extremely cheaper American online stores, and just try this themselves

I recon most folk will see some result within a week, just doing it their own way, but I did all that and wasted money and such. Now I have support and I can give my dad support (and my aunt a little support, she has to go to the sites i have mentioned because I genuinely do not have the time to be helping her a great deal right now). Anyway, with support (free forum support that is) all of us have done tremendously much better

I know this is hard to believe, this is why I do not get upset when folk tell me they do not beleive it. But I do get upset, in another way, because I know something wonderful and simply because folk cannot believe it I cant pass it on

'Science is not supposed to be about what people believe, it is supposed to be about facts, but if people do not believe the facts then science has become a religion, and a very misguided religion at that'

I send my sincere love to you all, hope that wisdom and common sense prevails, and when it does, which frankly in regards to this subject it is going to have to, because all them millions of pounds being spent on treatments that do not work as effectiviely as this natural treatment does. And when folk do decide to listen and think, oh what the hell, I might as well give that a bash, and they do and it works for them, hopefully the people of England will be like the people of America and they will go to thier governemnt and saywe do not want our children and our childrens children told that it is OK to eat the foods that lead to these conditions, we want them eating the foods that lead to good health, not just in old age but throughout life. I am 43 years old, I have switched, and my two children in their 20s have switched. They do not have children yet, but when they do, their children are going to be raised eating in this correct manner. I have seen enough of this in so many places to be able to say, this is the answer. Yes it is taking some time for it to become mainstream, but that is because firstly people cannot beleive it, and secondly nobody makes any money directly out of this treatment, you just go to the shop and buy what you need and get on with it. it is a very liberating thing when you are able to take control of your own health and not have to deal with people that are telling you all wrong and muddling you up

If you need a doctor that knows about Ketogenic diets then you may want to visit this site

http://www.golower.co.uk/about-us/experts

If these doctors worked for the NHS they would have to promote low fat eating, but since they do not work for the NHS they can promote correct eating. It is just a crying shame that to join this site is so expensive. I prefer the free site I mentioned earlier. But some folk prefer sites run by doctors, which is great if you have the money but I do not

This last site I mentioned in in England and these are Englsh doctors using this site, eating these foods and taking the supplments promoted on this site

If we keep blocking this sort of information the only people that will know about this kind of thing will be rich people and poorer people will have to continue eating in away that keeps them poorly

Joanne

Last edited:

FifiMo

Ted

I think you have misunderstood my post - it was made in relation to Joannesford suggesting that the moderators would pass on her email address to anyone wanting more information about coconut oil. I was merely pointing out that she could do this herself by telling anyone looking for more information to PM her and pass the information either via PM or issues details of her email address via PM. This is how information which Alzheimers Society do not wish to have published on their forum is dealt with, including, but not limited to, for example, links to commerical companies websites. At the end of the day it is their forum and we have to accept their rules, hence my explanation of how it can be dealt with to everyone's satisfaction.

That's all.

Fi

jenniferpa

While we should welcome outside the box thinking with regard to fighting dementia, I feel I should point out that we are a support forum for people with dementia and their carers. It is not a place to promote your own world view vis a vis medical conspiracies or "fringe" medical treatments or dietary supplements. Yes, it's possible that such options may become mainstream in the future, but they aren't yet.

This is an Alzheimer's Society Forum. There are rules that need to be followed (so no, email address may not be posted on the open forum), but further more I am more than a little concerned that you, Ted, chose to take to task a valued member who himself has dementia. On this forum we attempt to treat all people with respect. Please consider who is reading your posts and who you are responding to in future.

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
While we should welcome outside the box thinking with regard to fighting dementia, I feel I should point out that we are a support forum for people with dementia and their carers.
And as such it is reasonable to suppose that these are the very people who should be most interested in considering what are the most likely routes to prevent, delay the onset of the condition and/or reduce the speed of it's progression.
It is frankly appalling that the discussion of evidence based research continues to be treated with such utter contempt.

It is not a place to promote your own world view vis a vis medical conspiracies or "fringe" medical treatments or dietary supplements.
I am more than a little concerned that you, jenniferpa choose to equate the latest published peer reviewed science as medical conspiracies or "fringe" medical treatments or dietary supplements If you have any concerns about science I have linked to I am quite sure you have the means to search pubmed as I do to justify your opinions. As a moderator you should be able to show by example, not simply resort to name calling, how to respond when you disagree with a particular point of view.
Yes, it's possible that such options may become mainstream in the future, but they aren't yet.
But such is the rate of increase in the incidence of this condition that we do not have the luxury of time to wait until every last piece of evidence is signed off.

Rethinking Alzheimer's disease therapy: are mitochondria the key? shows us that mitochondrial dysfunction is not a medical conspiracy fringe idea but is being considered right now by experts in the field.

It follows this supports the idea that the use of a ketogenic diet to support mitochondrial biogenesis is something that people can do right now to reduce the damage mitochondrial dysfunction may cause.

Because this is an option that need not cost much money, as with other strategies such as EXERCISE/INTERMITTENT FASTING that also increase mitochondrial biogenesis, we don't have to wait for new drugs or medical interventions, these are matters people with a diagnosis or at high risk can adopt without either risk or significant cost.

but further more I am more than a little concerned that you, Ted, chose to take to task a valued member who himself has dementia. On this forum we attempt to treat all people with respect.
I reject totally any suggestion that I have taken anyone to task.

I simply pointed out where the suggestions made do not match the science that's readily available.

IMO I would be patronising and demonstrating a lack of respect to fail to correct matters of fact or errors of judgement.

Perhaps when dealing with matters of personal tragedy it is justifiable to allow people with AD to continue to hold beliefs that are painful to keep reminding them about, but it simply isn't justified to claim doctors have great awareness or knowledge when it comes to matters of nutrition.
My own local hospital today was taken to task for failing to ensure it's elderly patients actually ate their meals. It should not be possible for doctors to allow that to occur under their daily supervision. It's no good just blaming the nurses or the care assistants. Doctors should know enough about nutrition to spot malnutrition when it's occurring, on their watch, under their very noses.

Please consider who is reading your posts and who you are responding to in future.
I hope everyone can see how passionate and determined I am to challenge behaviours that are allowing incidence of this dreadful disease to escalate at it's current rate.

We must challenge strongly those who belittle current medical research and refuse to take seriously ideas currently under medical scientific discussion.

We know quite sufficient about The role of mitochondria in brain aging and the effects of melatonin not to regard correction of circadian rhythm disturbance as fringe medical treatment or simply a dietary supplemental choice. We should regard failure to correct circadian rhythm dis-regulation as medical negligence in the same way a failure to ensure proper feeding should be regarded as medical negligence.

We must also challenge consensus medical opinions that are based on myth and which are not evidence based. Sufficient evidence is available to act now. It is simply negligent to continue to fail to apply that knowledge for the betterment of those with AD and those at high risk of developing it.

TinaT

Oh dear, I wonder if anyone else is as fed up as myself and has now given up trying to read this unreadble thread?

xxTinaT

JPG1

Account Closed
Ted,

I have read each and every one of your posts on the forum - and have understood and enjoyed most of them. But that may be because I've had 15 years to get to know what some people would describe as 'wacky medicine/research'.

Some of those 'wacky' ideas actually were placed our way by our GP and our Consultants who sometimes said "Don't tell anyone I mentioned this to you but .... ...". And the GP and/or the Consultant led us gently to a whole host of supplements, additions to diet, alternative ways of thinking. Not dementia-connected but alternative ways of thinking that allowed my OH another means of survival, apart from chemotherapy, steroids and the like. And yes, monoclonal antibodies too.

We were sceptical at the start - but not for long.

So perhaps I'm suggesting that you may have another 15 years to work through to try to convince many TP members of the power of alternative ways of thinking about some of the issues you've mentioned.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Me too Tina!

.......perhaps I'm suggesting that you may have another 15 years to work through to try to convince many TP members of the power of alternative ways of thinking about some of the issues you've mentioned.

I'm not against the idea of alternative therapies. Just too tired to read the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.