Why are carers left with ALL the responsibility and left having to look/ask for everything?

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Thats the difficult bit. We are all too tired to campaign and also, @lemonbalm mentioned the feeling of betrayal which is very real. So many people have posted on here that they didnt want to even tell doctors about what their PWD is really like because it would be a betrayal.

I think one of the stumbling blocks is that it is the families who have to tell the stories. With all the other things - domestic abuse, cancer, racism, gay rights etc, the person can tell their own story. They can say "this is what happened to me and this is what is still happening", but most people with dementia cannot - and the ones that can are not representative of the vast majority and tend to fit the "living well with dementia" narrative.

So its left to us carers, with all our feelings of guilt, betrayal and failure. So is it any surprise that we say nothing, except to other people who are going through the same thing?
I totally agree. I feel like as someone now less involved in dad's care, that I should do something. But i work full time and of course have a life and my own family to think about... what could I do which would be time-effective, to have a big impact, is what I ask myself?

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Another thing to consider is the feelings of those who have been diagnosed with dementia, or think that they may be showing early signs of dementia. Any campaign or tv programme which showed the raw realities of how things can be could be very traumatic for them - possibly putting people off seeking a diagnosis (when they may not even have dementia) or making them hide their symptoms from others. I wince at some of the things we write here which must be a very hard read for anyone with dementia, although I feel it is important that we are able to do so. There's a tricky balance to be had between showing things how they can be and encouraging people or families to seek help when they are probably already scared.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
i suppose like all the other issues, publicity, talk, realistic posters, they show residents in care homes smiling now the visiting is on the agenda. need a camera into a carers home to see what they do in a day. not through rose-coloured glasses. other than that @kindred im open to suggestions. when i did voluntary work many moons ago, we made a video to show the difficulties in raising children in tower blocks. they built more houses and did empty the blocks especially overcrowding and change the dangerous windows.
when i did interview weith city council, they were so surprised the difficulties that carers have to go through.
Thank you. I am aware that I am afraid to besmirch my husbands memory if I told the most traumatic things. So I am left carrying the trauma alone. We would never get permission to film the reality in a nursing home, or if we did it would be whitewashed. They are never going to show residents behaving like wild animals or throwing poo around. We are stuck because it is so horrible. So we are silenced by our own shame. This has to change.
Kindred. X

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Another thing to consider is the feelings of those who have been diagnosed with dementia, or think that they may be showing early signs of dementia. Any campaign or tv programme which showed the raw realities of how things can be could be very traumatic for them - possibly putting people off seeking a diagnosis (when they may not even have dementia) or making them hide their symptoms from others. I wince at some of the things we write here which must be a very hard read for anyone with dementia, although I feel it is important that we are able to do so. There's a tricky balance to be had between showing things how they can be and encouraging people or families to seek help when they are probably already scared.
Thank you, that’s what I mentioned in an earlier post but you have expressed the dilemma much more clearly!

Kindred

Last edited by a moderator:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There's a tricky balance to be had between showing things how they can be and encouraging people or families to seek help when they are probably already scared.
A good point @lemonbalm, although IMO, its swinging too far to the "lets not tell people in case it upsets them" response.

There is also a problem in that there is no cure and in many cases no treatment. Unlike cancer, when you can say - get it checked early and treated early so that your survival rate is improved - with dementia no one survives and there is huge temptation to sweep it all under the carpet and pretend that its not happening. After all (the reasoning goes) why bother with all of that and upsetting the PWD if it wont make any difference?

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
A good point @lemonbalm, although IMO, its swinging too far to the "lets not tell people in case it upsets them" response.

There is also a problem in that there is no cure and in many cases no treatment. Unlike cancer, when you can say - get it checked early and treated early so that your survival rate is improved - with dementia no one survives and there is huge temptation to sweep it all under the carpet and pretend that its not happening. After all (the reasoning goes) why bother with all of that and upsetting the PWD if it wont make any difference?
Thank you. So true. If people did understand and know more, what would we like them to do differently?
Kindredx

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
This is such an interesting thread to read how others are feeling and I don't think I would have got through without the help that I received from others on here, it truly is the best help that I ever received in my life. My dad was the perfect "dotty" but happy Alzheimer's /dementia person, no trouble, kind hearted, very well spoken, and remarkably quick witted, he had an answer for everything but his dementia consumed me. I was always there for him even long before the diagnosis so when he eventually started to get worse I just carried on (nobody else was interested)

Perhaps if I had been a little less willing then I may have got some help from family (I think I am kidding myself here) but who knows. I just know that I can't shake it off. Perhaps it's the lockdown but for me nothing has changed except I haven't got dad to worry about anymore.

I saw a neighbour a while ago who said 'she hadn't seen me for ages' which is true because I just sort of vanished off the face of the Earth for some years almost as if I was abducted by aliens but now I am expected to just go back to normal. It is a kind of trauma, I was frightened most of the time, on high alert just waiting for something awful to happen all the time. Up and down except each down was a further step to more confusion for dad and more worry for me.

People haven't got a clue until they experience it.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
maybe to stop the cutesy image, not have to fight for every little thing. that SW know how to react when people are struggling, so whole families can be educated, remove the stigma, embarrassment of having a relative that has it. to treat PWD with dignity and not pity, know what works and what doesnt, more information more readily at hand without having to search for it, what each group does an d which medical dept explained. to educate how important it is for the carer to be by the side of PWD when in hospital or anywhere else they need help to be understood.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
maybe to stop the cutesy image, not have to fight for every little thing. that SW know how to react when people are struggling, so whole families can be educated, remove the stigma, embarrassment of having a relative that has it. to treat PWD with dignity and not pity, know what works and what doesnt, more information more readily at hand without having to search for it, what each group does an d which medical dept explained. to educate how important it is for the carer to be by the side of PWD when in hospital or anywhere else they need help to be understood.
This is so valuable, thank you.
Kindred

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think it would be good to have somebody who can advocate on behalf of the carer and to mediate between the carer and SS/NHS. All too often the carers needs are completely dismissed and we are too tired/ dont have enough time to fight. It would be good to have someone on our side looking at our needs too - not just the PWDs.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
sometimes they leave it at a fullstop so unless you know more, theres nothing you can add but if you know what questions you need to ask to get the right information

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Hi @Whisperer
Of course the loop is ever present. As is my lifelong uppy-downy old self. The uppy-downy old self who now refuses to be chemically enhanced into a la-la land of cushioned unreality. Someone in this Alice in Wonderland place needs to be awake and aware.

I'm peed off I'm finding it more difficult day by day to retain some semblance of equilibrium and not commit more than the verbal unkindness and passive-aggressive behaviour that grieves me more than you can imagine. Even this post sounds aggressive and that hurts my soul.

As for friends and rellies? My OH has no blood rellies. I have two and a half sibs. The younger two are geographically distanced, the half (older and not so able as she'd like to think) is under my watchful eye and I fear for her future. The OH is not so keen on 'Day Care' or 'Elder Centre' or whatever prettily packaged name is put on the temporary dumping grounds - he's not easy in company and especially when he can't see me. He's my rucksack, always on my back and just behind me.

Neither of us feel that friends doing a sitting stint would be in our best interests. The number of accessible friends dropped following diagnosis and quite frankly, I wouldn't ask them to do the little services that I find myself doing for him. (Bathroom visits, cleaning up after etc etc.) And the majority of those who remain still see Alz as some kind of dotty but loveable ageing process that only needs speaking to LOUDLY in a baby sing-song voice to be dealt with.

When he's in an accessible mode we speak of getting 'sitters' in so I can go shout at the sky, wander aimlessly, drive to the moon and back and generally wash the grit from my brain. My goodness, I could even go grocery shopping! The time is coming. The time is coming. But then the tomorrow comes and all is washed away and like waves on the sand the patterns of thoughts on the shore have faded into oblivion.

I'm not quite as dipsy or mentally unstable as I sound here (I hope) - lack of verbal nuance makes things harsh.

Thank you for your time and effort. We're not a lost cause and we shall rise, Phoenix like, from the ashes of this holy mess when the time is right for us.

Onwards and upwards, to the stars and beyond
All I can say is that you don’t come across as ‘dipsy’ or ‘unstable’, just honest. It’s refreshing to hear someone saying it how it really is. I have never before felt so ‘upper downy’. One day I am certain that I can’t carry on like this for a moment more, and the next I think that I can’t simply abandon my OH to the confusing and noisy world of a care home. My body aches with exhaustion, I’m worn out, but can’t sleep, and my mind won’t settle on anything for any length of time. We are imprisoned together in this strange ‘Alice in Wonderland’ world, and few people have any notion of what it’s really like. We have a very pleasant worker from Alzheimer’s support who phones to check on us every so often, and naturally asks how we are, and how we are doing. I never know how to answer this as it’s just impossible to put into words.

Alena

Feb 14, 2021
Thank you to everyone who has posted on this.
My PWD went into a care home nearly 6 months ago and I am still nowhere near OK after some of what happened, but am due to start some counselling.
The only thing I can really think to do is to build up my ability to speak honestly about what has happened. This is helping to restore some friendships which were disrupted during the caring process, and has also meant that some other stories have emerged about isolated incidents which happened a long time before diagnosis, which I didn't previously know about. This helps with my guilt at being unable to cope: it had gone on for longer than I acknowledged.
Luckily, I can do a "compare and contrast" as it used to be called at school, because as well as my recent horrific experiences, I had very different but equally sad experiences with a family member during my teens. The family member was far gentler. So I'm able to tell people that the disease can take many different paths - but I also tell them that if you ever hear a carer say that they can't cope, they are not making it up, they need help immediately.
I'm still too fragile to say much, and I'm naturally shy. I also know that I'm going to get even more criticism for what I say, and for moving on with my life in ways which others don't approve of, than I have already had for my desperate failings as a carer.
But one day I will be ready to stand up and be counted.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I think it would be good to have somebody who can advocate on behalf of the carer and to mediate between the carer and SS/NHS. All too often the carers needs are completely dismissed and we are too tired/ dont have enough time to fight. It would be good to have someone on our side looking at our needs too - not just the PWDs.
I actually knew someone who worked in this area long ago. I think they struggled for funding. It would be a great resource.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Dementia mainly affects people over the age of 65 but a younger person tends to take longer to diagnose symptoms of dementia they are often mild and may get worse gradually ok a diagnosis can be scary at first however for a younger person employment maybe important they may need a job to meeting their financial needs it also provides purpose, daily routine, personal satisfaction and benefit from the professional and personal relationships they form at work

from my own experience regarding support when diagnosed at age of 56 I wanted to continue working I did not want to be on any disability benefits in order to continue in employment I had excellent help and support from : my G.P’s , Consultants at memory clinic , Occupational Therapists, Unison, Alzheimer’s Society not forgetting family members this support continued until my retirement at age of 65 almost 9 years obviously after my retirement I still have medication and at first 6 monthly visits from memory clinic in order to get medication from GP that has now gone 12 monthly visits honestly I just don’t know what more medical treatment I could get for my dementia however I do know I definitely Do Not need a Carer

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I think that is what Admiral Nurses hope to be able to do ... sadly they are few in number and no doubt under-funded ... and I don't know whether Memory Clinics/GPs are as aware of them as they could be, to recommend them to those newly diagnosed and more especially their family/friend

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I thought of the Admiral Nurses @Shedrech , but they are so thin on the ground that ATM I feel that in most places they can do little more than offer advice.

With the right funding, they could be a tremendous help to carers, but what is needed is someone who would be at the centre, rather than just another person who could help, if only you had known.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
All I can say is that you don’t come across as ‘dipsy’ or ‘unstable’, just honest. It’s refreshing to hear someone saying it how it really is. I have never before felt so ‘upper downy’. One day I am certain that I can’t carry on like this for a moment more, and the next I think that I can’t simply abandon my OH to the confusing and noisy world of a care home. My body aches with exhaustion, I’m worn out, but can’t sleep, and my mind won’t settle on anything for any length of time. We are imprisoned together in this strange ‘Alice in Wonderland’ world, and few people have any notion of what it’s really like. We have a very pleasant worker from Alzheimer’s support who phones to check on us every so often, and naturally asks how we are, and how we are doing. I never know how to answer this as it’s just impossible to put into words.
Your last sentence is so very true. Several times people from the memory clinic, including doctor have said, "hi how are you both," or "how are you coping"? and I've been stumped, I feel like saying if you've got a couple of hours I'll tell you. I don't know why they don't have appointments just for the carer. It's almost impossible to tell the doctor what you want to say, when your loved one is sat next to you. On a couple of occasions out of sheer frustration I've written a letter to the memory clinic doctor, stating what has been happening at home.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Such very interesting and valuable points made in this thread.

I attended a 2 hour discharge meeting today - exhausting. For the first time I met my husband's social worker. He has seen him once. I had to ask for a copy of the nurse's assessment which was emailed, after reminding, yesterday at 5pm, 40 page document. I was not able to process it sufficiently before the meeting and was shocked about some of the comments. I arrived and there were no hard copies (no my printer is not working!). Fortunately our Alzheimer's support worker was able to to attend virtually, she was and continues to be very valuable. Just before the meeting 2 students approach me asking if it's OK to sit in! Sorry no. My husband has not communicated with his son for 3 years, and does not want to see his brother. In the meeting the social worker tells me that daughter in law contacted social services mid February asking for contact - I had no idea and feel a major headache coming on. I tried to remain composed but did start to cry. However, after all that, I have to say that it became clear the struggles the staff face having to work within the processes and systems in place. I think this is the key. There are so many different agencies involved and they do not speak to each other and carers as well as our loved ones are stuck in the middle. As we are reminded many a time - we all want what is best for . . . . Yes, we know this, but they need to streamline and try to minimise bureaucratic chaos leave carers as if they are in limbo. They and the social worker, despite not having met him before, were kind, supportive and willing to listen. At the end all were agreed that my husband will be going into residential care. So now the next battle is finances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77