Positive test for covid.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Dads nursing home just rang and Dads tested positive for covid. They say he’s fine in himself and not showing any symptoms yet. He’s got COPD as well as dementia so the outcome won’t be good if the virus takes hold. After the last trip to hospital ( he was very aggressive to the nurses) it was decided that he wouldn’t go to hospital again. He also has a DNR . I haven’t seen him for 8 weeks now and as I’m shielding my husband I haven’t been out for 7 weeks. Feeling pretty hopeless at the moment as there is nothing I can do.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))
That is hard. Fingers crossed he only gets it mildly.
Wishing you strength to get through this.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Worrying news, JulieMatch. I hope your dad will survive, and you and your husband will be ok. Fingers crossed and strength to you all.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Thank you everyone. It’s the not being able to do anything about the situation,that’s getting to me. I am the one who springs into action when dads ill.Organising things and arranging visits. To just sit here and try to carry on, is very hard and so alien to me.It’s just a waiting game now to see how the virus will affect him. Thank you for your hugs Canary. I’m in need of them,as I can’t see my kids and grandchildren . Thank you all for being there . It helps so much to know there’s always people on here to talk to. Please Take care everyone and stay safe.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I shall send you some virtual hugs too ? , hope dad stays well and manages to fight it off . Take care .

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Juliematch - Will keep fingers crossed for your Dad. My mum has tested positive too (her symptoms were a cough and breathlessness). Take care and sending hugs your way

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am the one who springs into action

I used to think this about myself and the first two weeks of lockdown were very hard to bear and that was just about me. I had no one in care to worry about.

I feel for you @Juliematch. Protecting your dad and your husband is your priority and you are doing this in the only way possible.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Thank you everyone. I spent yesterday wanting to ring the nursing home but not wanting to( if you know what I mean) I left it until early evening and managed a quick word with the nurse. Dad is still not showing symptoms ( he’s always breathless and has a cough because of COPD). They said they would ring if there’s any change. Sorry to hear about your mum Jale. Is she in a carehome? It’s the not knowing and not being able to do anything to help that is getting to me. I’ve just got to stay at home,for how ever long it takes. These wonderful carers/ nurses put themselves at risk every day. I send you all virtual hugs because we are all missing having real ones and stay safe , keep well.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Juliematch, yes she is in a nursing home and she sounds similar to your Dad. Understand what you mean by wanting to phone the home but also not wanting to. Mum's home shut down before the official lockdown and it seems like a lifetime since we last saw her, and as you say it is not being able to do anything that is hard.

Take care and as I keep being told - try and stay positive, sending hugs

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Dads nursing home also shut before lockdown Jale and I hoped it would help. Just found out today that the residents were all tested last Thursday but the staff haven’t. What’s the sense in that. They are being tested on Monday.Obviously one of them brought it into the home without any symptoms. Dad is still ok and making jokes ,which the nurses like, as it shows he’s not anxious. There are 6 of them with positive tests on a wing which is shut off from everyone else. Atleast he can wander around. He’s eating in the small dining room on the wing but he’s the only one as the others are bed bound. I do feel more positive today. I know It’s not good to keep worrying ,over something that’s out of your hands. It’s just when you hear a positive test it feels like a death sentence and I started to blame myself for putting him in care.If he was at home with me he wouldn’t have been in this nightmare.Dont worry. I did give myself a good talking too and hit the guilt monster on the head with a big stick. Why do we always feel guilty?

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
I just wanted to update on my dads condition after his positive test. It’s an absolute miracle that he’s still not had any symptoms. Hes been so lucky ( not that he would know that) He’s not had to have any extra inhalers than he already has for his COPD. When I rang the nursing home tonight , he had just had his tea and was watching TV. So life goes on in his dementia world , not knowing what is happening around him. Didn’t think I would ever say this but Thank you dementia. He would have been terrified if he’d have realised what a positive test meant.