Struggling to deal with mum going to care home.

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
Hi everyone, this is the first time I’ve been here. Firstly, I want to say I feel such empathy for everyone of you here.
I’ve been my mums full time carer for several years. I’ve watched as she’s slipped away from me, it’s like a constant cycle of bereavement. My sister would come and take mum out for a few hours 2-3 times a week and more recently she’s helped a bit more.
In the past few months she’s gone down hill swiftly, the dysphasia has become much worse, she becomes very restless and agitated at certain times, up and down at night, not knowing her surroundings etc.
Anyway, about 4 weeks ago it reached crisis point, I was exhausted because you can never have a proper sleep, it’s just dozing on and off, I was continually stressed and the only focus of my existence was looking after mum, one day her agitation was just so bad, she kept asking for my sister and trying to get out of the house and I couldn’t get her to calm down at all, and this sort of thing has been going on for several months at this point, this time it was so bad I had to get my sister to leave work early and come straight away, at this point mum’s crying as was I, usually I can stop myself but not this time.
A place came up in a care home much sooner than expected, we thought it would be about 4 months but they phoned and said they had a place available and she could move in on 30 December.
So she’s there now and I feel absolutely lost, I can’t bear the thought of her being frightened and wondering where me or my sister is. Just her being there and not with me that loves her and it doesn’t matter that logically I know it’s best for her. I thought I knew grief as I’ve had to face the person she was steadily disappear (it’s a strange thing, grieving for someone even as they stand in front of you) and I knew this would be hard but I had no idea it would be as bad as this. My sister and brother have gone in to see her every day and at the moment I can’t do it, the thought of going there is horrifying to me, thank god she’s not asking for me, she’s just been asking my brother and sister if I’m okay and they’ve said I’m fine and she’s happy with that.
My brother and sister don’t understand why I’m in such a state, I know it’s hard for them but they didn’t care for her 24/7 to the exclusion of everything else, they have families of their own. I’m just here now trying to remember the point of my life before mum.
I feel surrounded by pain and I can’t control it, I wish I could control it but I can’t, every time I get a grip of myself another wave of it will come over me. I know they are thinking I need to get a grip and if they can deal with it so should I but they aren’t feeling all the emotions that you have having cared for a loved one and finally having to let them go. My brother told me to “get my **** together” yesterday and when I tried to explain why I was in this state, I was told that I think everything’s about me. They just can’t imagine what it’s been like, they still had lives and their families while I did nothing but care for mum.
I could go on and on but this post is far too long already.
If anyone else is/has experienced similar I’d love to hear from you and obviously anyone else please do comment. I think I just want to know that my reaction is normal and that I’m not alone.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Hil76
I think your body & mind is recovering from the fight or flight high of always being alert & waiting for the next crisis.
You go when you are ready & able to visit.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Hil76
A warm welcome to DTP
I'm glad you have found us as there's lots of understanding and support here
Your feelings are normal, it's no surprise that once you can 'collapse' you do after being on call 24 hours a day.. and yes it's hard to let go
So I agree, take your time, recover some and visit when you are ready.. you know your mum is being looked after and is visited

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I agree with cat. You dont "have" to go and visit just yet. Your mum is being looked after and isnt distressed that you are not there, so just let yourself be. It will take you a while to recover, but one day you will find that you are able to visit.
In the meantime, dont feel guilty.

TenGallonHank

Nov 28, 2018
Hey @Hil76 - I'm sorry it sounds like you are having a really hard time. Just want you to know that you're not alone. Your brother and sister haven't been in your shoes so they can't understand - you feel the way you feel and that's that. You have to let that emotion do what it needs to, or it'll come out some other way.

Mitch60

Jun 13, 2018
Hi everyone, this is the first time I’ve been here. Firstly, I want to say I feel such empathy for everyone of you here.
I’ve been my mums full time carer for several years. I’ve watched as she’s slipped away from me, it’s like a constant cycle of bereavement. My sister would come and take mum out for a few hours 2-3 times a week and more recently she’s helped a bit more.
In the past few months she’s gone down hill swiftly, the dysphasia has become much worse, she becomes very restless and agitated at certain times, up and down at night, not knowing her surroundings etc.
Anyway, about 4 weeks ago it reached crisis point, I was exhausted because you can never have a proper sleep, it’s just dozing on and off, I was continually stressed and the only focus of my existence was looking after mum, one day her agitation was just so bad, she kept asking for my sister and trying to get out of the house and I couldn’t get her to calm down at all, and this sort of thing has been going on for several months at this point, this time it was so bad I had to get my sister to leave work early and come straight away, at this point mum’s crying as was I, usually I can stop myself but not this time.
A place came up in a care home much sooner than expected, we thought it would be about 4 months but they phoned and said they had a place available and she could move in on 30 December.
So she’s there now and I feel absolutely lost, I can’t bear the thought of her being frightened and wondering where me or my sister is. Just her being there and not with me that loves her and it doesn’t matter that logically I know it’s best for her. I thought I knew grief as I’ve had to face the person she was steadily disappear (it’s a strange thing, grieving for someone even as they stand in front of you) and I knew this would be hard but I had no idea it would be as bad as this. My sister and brother have gone in to see her every day and at the moment I can’t do it, the thought of going there is horrifying to me, thank god she’s not asking for me, she’s just been asking my brother and sister if I’m okay and they’ve said I’m fine and she’s happy with that.
My brother and sister don’t understand why I’m in such a state, I know it’s hard for them but they didn’t care for her 24/7 to the exclusion of everything else, they have families of their own. I’m just here now trying to remember the point of my life before mum.
I feel surrounded by pain and I can’t control it, I wish I could control it but I can’t, every time I get a grip of myself another wave of it will come over me. I know they are thinking I need to get a grip and if they can deal with it so should I but they aren’t feeling all the emotions that you have having cared for a loved one and finally having to let them go. My brother told me to “get my **** together” yesterday and when I tried to explain why I was in this state, I was told that I think everything’s about me. They just can’t imagine what it’s been like, they still had lives and their families while I did nothing but care for mum.
I could go on and on but this post is far too long already.
If anyone else is/has experienced similar I’d love to hear from you and obviously anyone else please do comment. I think I just want to know that my reaction is normal and that I’m not alone.

Mitch60

Jun 13, 2018
Hi , I can feel your pain and anguish ..in fact although my mum hasn't gone into a home as yet ..it's becoming closer. It's such a hard decision to make as I don't have brothers or sisters ...But I do understand completely how you feel . It's exhausting, the 24/7 care , monitors on mum so don't sleep well , the rushing around to get stuff done while mum's at day care ...thank goodness for day care but at £60 per day ...9.30 till 3.30 it's great and the girls are fab but to go 3 X or more sometimes ...it's a worry financially as well as Carer's to pay for .
It's easier not to go out to do some of the things I use to ....I can't concentrate on anything anymore ...I worry all the time ...I know mum is scared sometimes , she's looking for her husband , dad died with vascular dementia...
Five years ago ...now Mum has it but it's been a harder journey and I've struggled this time . Mum doesn't see very well either . It's Very hard for her ...
I've just read this through and it's all about me ...for that I'm sorry but where else can you say this stuff ...so I get exactly where your coming from ..I don't have the answers for you ...except maybe it's time that will help to see things clearer .......but I know how you feel .

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
Welcome to DTP @Hil76
I think your body & mind is recovering from the fight or flight high of always being alert & waiting for the next crisis.
You go when you are ready & able to visit.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.
Hi , I can feel your pain and anguish ..in fact although my mum hasn't gone into a home as yet ..it's becoming closer. It's such a hard decision to make as I don't have brothers or sisters ...But I do understand completely how you feel . It's exhausting, the 24/7 care , monitors on mum so don't sleep well , the rushing around to get stuff done while mum's at day care ...thank goodness for day care but at £60 per day ...9.30 till 3.30 it's great and the girls are fab but to go 3 X or more sometimes ...it's a worry financially as well as Carer's to pay for .
It's easier not to go out to do some of the things I use to ....I can't concentrate on anything anymore ...I worry all the time ...I know mum is scared sometimes , she's looking for her husband , dad died with vascular dementia...
Five years ago ...now Mum has it but it's been a harder journey and I've struggled this time . Mum doesn't see very well either . It's Very hard for her ...
I've just read this through and it's all about me ...for that I'm sorry but where else can you say this stuff ...so I get exactly where your coming from ..I don't have the answers for you ...except maybe it's time that will help to see things clearer .......but I know how you feel .
@Mitch60 Honestly, it was my sister that stepped in to get mum into a care home, I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone, all I could do was look after mum, regardless of how bad it got, I couldn’t have let her go, I don’t know what would have happened to us, I think I would have kept going until had a psychotic break. Your whole world is focused on looking after them, you lose all perspective. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this as an only child, although I was the one caring for mum, my sister did all the practical stuff and knew that it was past time for mum to go into a care home, I think she was genuinely worried for my mental health.
You would think you’d feel relief and able to relax but I don’t feel that at all.
It almost feels surreal, the whole thing with mum having Alzheimer’s. I’m sorry, I can’t find the words, I will never be the same again. You have my every sympathy, I don’t know how you’ve done it for both parents but what choice is there? It’s such a cruel disease.

Mitch60

Jun 13, 2018
@Mitch60 Honestly, it was my sister that stepped in to get mum into a care home, I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone, all I could do was look after mum, regardless of how bad it got, I couldn’t have let her go, I don’t know what would have happened to us, I think I would have kept going until had a psychotic break. Your whole world is focused on looking after them, you lose all perspective. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this as an only child, although I was the one caring for mum, my sister did all the practical stuff and knew that it was past time for mum to go into a care home, I think she was genuinely worried for my mental health.
You would think you’d feel relief and able to relax but I don’t feel that at all.
It almost feels surreal, the whole thing with mum having Alzheimer’s. I’m sorry, I can’t find the words, I will never be the same again. You have my every sympathy, I don’t know how you’ve done it for both parents but what choice is there? It’s such a cruel disease.

I agree Hil76 ...such a terrible and cruel disease ..., there is no choice as we want to do our best for our loved ones ...but I know I'm getting to the end as I'm finding it harder to deal with ...but it's crossing that bridge to make that decision...for a care home ...the right one ..the finacal side of it all ...as we live together ...social workers come and go ...I feel as as self funders it's all to do with your money !!! Which makes me cross they just look at me and say ...sorry nothing we can do ?
I don't think it solves a problem going into care ...but it might help to get back a mother and daughter relationship eventually? That's what I long for. .And maybe even get a little bit of a life back but I don't think the path will be easy ..
I wish you all the best and hope you can find a little bit of peace for yourself and things workout for you x

summertime20

Dec 11, 2017
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that you really are not alone. I have a mum who has dementia, and I had to make the agonising decision of putting her into a care home. I looked after her for two years before that and it is so emotionally exhausting. Not only are you watching someone you love deteriorate in front of you, you also have to cope with saying the same things over and over. I used to beat myself up about being impatient at times, but then realised even the a saint would find it hard. Please be nice to yourself, this is so important to remember. X

bopper

Apr 6, 2019
Just like your Mum, my Mum went in to a care home - about 4 months ago and, just like you, I found it hard. The feeling of guilt and the anxiety was overwhelming. It's only recently that I've started to sleep anywhere like properly. But I have learned to put my trust in the staff at the care home and now feel more confident when I am not there. The situation with my Mum will always be difficult because of the nature of the condition, but at least now I feel that we are able to have a decent mother and son relationship. I have had to tell myself not to be so hard on myself and if there is anything I would like to pass on, it is that. Don't be so hard on yourself and hopefully, in time, it might just get a little better. Good luck.

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
Just like your Mum, my Mum went in to a care home - about 4 months ago and, just like you, I found it hard. The feeling of guilt and the anxiety was overwhelming. It's only recently that I've started to sleep anywhere like properly. But I have learned to put my trust in the staff at the care home and now feel more confident when I am not there. The situation with my Mum will always be difficult because of the nature of the condition, but at least now I feel that we are able to have a decent mother and son relationship. I have had to tell myself not to be so hard on myself and if there is anything I would like to pass on, it is that. Don't be so hard on yourself and hopefully, in time, it might just get a little better. Good luck.
@bopper, thank you for your reply, it’s such a help to know others are going through the same and understand all the emotions that come with being a f/t carer and having to let go, even whilst knowing it is the best thing. I think at the moment I’m still not quite in my right mind about it all but I do hope that like you, in time I will find it easier. I’m glad you have found some peace of mind, we all deserve that xx

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
Hi and welcome, i’ve only posted on hear once before so I’m a Newby too!
However I sympathise with you so very very much . I have been looking after my elderly mum (92yrs) for 10years when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. She has lived with myself and my husband for the last 7 years. For the last 2 years things have become very difficult, with the last 9 months been virtually impossible, I have had minimal help from the gp’s but enormous help from the C P N s they have been my lifeline,however they are now out of ideas and medication to control mams very erratic behaviour and we are in the process of getting a place in a home. My emotions are on a roller coaster, like you my brother has instigated this along with my daughter as they are concerned for my mental wellbeing. When Mam is angry and sometimes hits out and “ won’t have me anywhere near her” I feel I can’t cope then in a couple of hours she’s hanging onto me crying and saying please never leave me and I feel so sorry for her I don’t feel I can go through with this. Mum I feel sometimes still has those lucid moments when I feel she’s aware of what the intention is. I’m an emotional wreck!!!!! I know deep down I can’t carry on with the sleep deprivation and the sheer physical effort of dealing with her through the night on my own as her mobility is now seriously affected (apart from when “paddy power” propels her) so please keep posting as I need to confirm to myself that I am doing the right thing and it will be better for mam in the long run. I feel so very anxious and guilty.!!!!

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
Hi and welcome, i’ve only posted on hear once before so I’m a Newby too!
However I sympathise with you so very very much . I have been looking after my elderly mum (92yrs) for 10years when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. She has lived with myself and my husband for the last 7 years. For the last 2 years things have become very difficult, with the last 9 months been virtually impossible, I have had minimal help from the gp’s but enormous help from the C P N s they have been my lifeline,however they are now out of ideas and medication to control mams very erratic behaviour and we are in the process of getting a place in a home. My emotions are on a roller coaster, like you my brother has instigated this along with my daughter as they are concerned for my mental wellbeing. When Mam is angry and sometimes hits out and “ won’t have me anywhere near her” I feel I can’t cope then in a couple of hours she’s hanging onto me crying and saying please never leave me and I feel so sorry for her I don’t feel I can go through with this. Mum I feel sometimes still has those lucid moments when I feel she’s aware of what the intention is. I’m an emotional wreck!!!!! I know deep down I can’t carry on with the sleep deprivation and the sheer physical effort of dealing with her through the night on my own as her mobility is now seriously affected (apart from when “paddy power” propels her) so please keep posting as I need to confirm to myself that I am doing the right thing and it will be better for mam in the long run. I feel so very anxious and guilty.!!!!
@Wooden top, my situation is similar, I’ve been with mum since her diagnosis and like you in the past 2 years give or take things became very hard and also around 9 months ago it became almost impossible, for me my entire existence was looking after mum, often I felt like I was losing my mind and certainly I lost all perspective of the situation, it is so incredibly frustrating at times at other times when she has been crying and scared I’ve felt so sad for her and have also wondered what insight if any she has, as hard as this is for other family, only you as her f/t carer will go through how hard letting her go into residential care is, you will experience emotions unique to you, it doesn’t matter that you will know that logically it is the best thing, the emotions that will come with it are very hard to deal with, had my sister not stepped in I truly believe I would have continued to care for her until I had a breakdown. Mum went into a care home on 30 Dec. I’m am still struggling with this. If you look on line there is a lot written about what f/t carers go through letting go, I couldn’t believe how accurately they described my feelings. It is clear that you are at the stage I was at and it is no longer possible for you to continue as things are, I wish I could tell you that letting her go has brought me some relief but so far it has not, I have been told that with time it will and I will come to terms with it. I hope that knowing that you are not alone in this has helped somewhat, I’m only sorry I can’t tell you it will be easy. Please contact me anytime, Feel free to PM me day or night, I’m often awake during the night at the moment, I’ll help in anyway I can. I’ll pm you a link I found that has particularly described my feelings during this and has helped in some way, if that’s ok with you to private message you. I’m certainly thinking of you xx

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
@Wooden top, my situation is similar, I’ve been with mum since her diagnosis and like you in the past 2 years give or take things became very hard and also around 9 months ago it became almost impossible, for me my entire existence was looking after mum, often I felt like I was losing my mind and certainly I lost all perspective of the situation, it is so incredibly frustrating at times at other times when she has been crying and scared I’ve felt so sad for her and have also wondered what insight if any she has, as hard as this is for other family, only you as her f/t carer will go through how hard letting her go into residential care is, you will experience emotions unique to you, it doesn’t matter that you will know that logically it is the best thing, the emotions that will come with it are very hard to deal with, had my sister not stepped in I truly believe I would have continued to care for her until I had a breakdown. Mum went into a care home on 30 Dec. I’m am still struggling with this. If you look on line there is a lot written about what f/t carers go through letting go, I couldn’t believe how accurately they described my feelings. It is clear that you are at the stage I was at and it is no longer possible for you to continue as things are, I wish I could tell you that letting her go has brought me some relief but so far it has not, I have been told that with time it will and I will come to terms with it. I hope that knowing that you are not alone in this has helped somewhat, I’m only sorry I can’t tell you it will be easy. Please contact me anytime, Feel free to PM me day or night, I’m often awake during the night at the moment, I’ll help in anyway I can. I’ll pm you a link I found that has particularly described my feelings during this and has helped in some way, if that’s ok with you to private message you. I’m certainly thinking of you xx
@Wooden top, give me a quick reply to let me know it’s ok to PM you xx

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
@Wooden top, give me a quick reply to let me know it’s ok to PM you xx
Yes no problem at all, it’s a relief to know that you have been through the same trying and extremely upsetting situation. I must tell you though i’m Not very technically minded. So where do I find your pr mess.???

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
Yes no problem at all, it’s a relief to know that you have been through the same trying and extremely upsetting situation. I must tell you though i’m Not very technically minded. So where do I find your pr mess.???
@Wooden top, I decided to just send the links in the above post, click on the blue writing and that should take you to what I have found helpful on the internet. As for reading PMs go into menu and the little envelope that you see will have a number next to it if you have a PM, click the envelope and it will show you your message, I’ll send you a quick PM now so you can see what I mean xx

Hil76

Jan 5, 2020
@Wooden top, I decided to just send the links in the above post, click on the blue writing and that should take you to what I have found helpful on the internet. As for reading PMs go into menu and the little envelope that you see will have a number next to it if you have a PM, click the envelope and it will show you your message, I’ll send you a quick PM now so you can see what I mean xx
@Wooden top you should now be able to see 1 next to the little envelope, click that and if you wish to reply there’s a box you can click on that says reply click that and then you can respond. Hope that’s helpful xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carol Diane