Spouse age 49 with vascular dementia

jmjohnson0907

Oct 10, 2019
My spouse was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2016 after MRI and PET scans. Although, the signs and symptoms began as early as 2009. Im concerned if anyone has had to deal with caring for someone this young who is now falling and sleeping ALOT (12-15 hours a day). He also has diabetic neuropathy and he picks at his hands until they are cracked and bleeding. He has also become more "withdrawn" by sitting outside in the garage alone listening to music. I have also started noticing him mumbling when he speaks, thinking I just didn't hear him, but when asked to repeat himself he speaks clearly .I don't know that I am asking any specific questions, but rather trying to determine if these are common traits for someone with vascular dementia w/ history of mini strokes (4), high BP, high Cholesterol, Diabetes, Smoking.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a worry for you @jmjohnson0907

I imagine most of your spouse`s behaviours are witnessed in different people with dementia, it just makes it even more upsetting when there are so many of these behaviours in the same person.

I hope you have some support, perhaps carers coming in to give you a break. If not please try to organise this as soon as possible.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I think that all of these things can go with dementia, although the peripheral neuropathy is probably due to the diabetes.

My OH sleeps a lot - same as yours - likes to sit alone in the conservatory on his android tablet, scratches at his skin till it bleeds, and also has peripheral neuropathy (although he doesnt have diabetes). Im guessing that the mumbling is him vocalising his thoughts. OH doesnt do this most of the time, but does do it when he is reading. Its like a child who hasnt learned how to read "in their head".

My OH is 63, which is quite young for dementia, but it must be devastating for someone of his age to develop it.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @jmjohnson0907
a warm welcome to DTP from me too
I did notice those behaviours in some of the residents of my dad's care home, though, of course, I wasn't privy to their actual diagnosis

Tinamaria

Sep 6, 2019
My spouse was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 2016 after MRI and PET scans. Although, the signs and symptoms began as early as 2009. Im concerned if anyone has had to deal with caring for someone this young who is now falling and sleeping ALOT (12-15 hours a day). He also has diabetic neuropathy and he picks at his hands until they are cracked and bleeding. He has also become more "withdrawn" by sitting outside in the garage alone listening to music. I have also started noticing him mumbling when he speaks, thinking I just didn't hear him, but when asked to repeat himself he speaks clearly .I don't know that I am asking any specific questions, but rather trying to determine if these are common traits for someone with vascular dementia w/ history of mini strokes (4), high BP, high Cholesterol, Diabetes, Smoking.

Tinamaria

Sep 6, 2019
I also care for my husband who is 48 and has sub cortical vascular dementia and he has many of the symptoms you describe he also has a lot of unexplained bruising that just comes out on him its hard wen your loved ones are so young I struggle some days but its nice to know there's people out there going through wat my husband is going through at such an early age and be able to talk to them