I'm going to Chicago, sorry but I can't take you with me baby

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I'm reminded of the 'signature' song of the late Lou Rawls. A few weeks ago our local dog-friendly pub was showing a video on a loop. I recognised that it showed trains going around the "L" in central Chicago, a city where my wife and I had a great holiday some 10 years ago. There was no sign of dementia in those happy days although, later, confabulation led her to believe (wrongly) that we there when the river turned green on St Patrick's day.

As my wife's dementia has taken over more and more of our lives we have given up holidays abroad, holidays in this country, days out and even the shortest of excursions. I've been on a couple of cycling holidays when my wife has been in respite. But it struck me that, just because she is no longer up to making the trip, there is nothing to stop me from going somewhere (anywhere) on my own. The Magnificent Mile, Blue Chicago and Buddy Guy's Legends are all places that could stand another visit.

Now there's an aspiration for 2020. As my wife would once have said "you're a long time dead". Look out Chicago, here I come (maybe).

Hamilton10

Aug 9, 2019
I'm reminded of the 'signature' song of the late Lou Rawls. A few weeks ago our local dog-friendly pub was showing a video on a loop. I recognised that it showed trains going around the "L" in central Chicago, a city where my wife and I had a great holiday some 10 years ago. There was no sign of dementia in those happy days although, later, confabulation led her to believe (wrongly) that we there when the river turned green on St Patrick's day.

As my wife's dementia has taken over more and more of our lives we have given up holidays abroad, holidays in this country, days out and even the shortest of excursions. I've been on a couple of cycling holidays when my wife has been in respite. But it struck me that, just because she is no longer up to making the trip, there is nothing to stop me from going somewhere (anywhere) on my own. The Magnificent Mile, Blue Chicago and Buddy Guy's Legends are all places that could stand another visit.

Now there's an aspiration for 2020. As my wife would once have said "you're a long time dead". Look out Chicago, here I come (maybe).

wightdancer

Mar 15, 2017
You have already had cycling holidays on your own with your wife in respite so if you are now considering Chicago on your own, that's good, it means it works for you and you are coping well.
My wife has Alzheimer's and we stopped having foreign holidays 2 years ago - airports, new surroundings and routines were unsettling for her; even cruises made her confused and agitated so now we do day-trips and visits to familiar local places just keeping life simple. We have been together since 1964 and she has done much for me and now is payback time. While she knows who I am and gets comfort from my presence I will be beside her but I understand that as things inevitably deteriorate she will need more care than I can offer so a day may come when I too will fly off alone.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I fancy the train ride between Chicago and Seattle two interesting cities. Anyone done that journey?

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Good for you North....I like Chicago for the Art Institute, the Bean and jazz.
Have a great time.I have managed to get off alone sometimes over the last 17 years of this disease. I am glad I went alone on trips. Our history as a couple was one of separate leisure adventures. My husband loved to sail and ski. I did not ski , and I often when home to the USA without him. So, I have never felt badly about going off on my own for R&R if I can make arrangements for him .

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I fancy the train ride between Chicago and Seattle two interesting cities. Anyone done that journey?

I haven't but I might look into it now that you mention it. The shortest journey time is 46 hours.

I went to Seattle for work in 2009 and took my wife there in 2012. We had a really good time despite my growing realisation that there was something wrong with her. With hindsight it was the beginning of memory difficulties and confabulations. On our first night, tired from the journey, the time difference and a few drinks, she got up to 'look for me' in the early hours (I was in the bathroom) and got locked out of the bedroom. She was brought back by the receptionist, having - by her account - been up a ladder to the roof. I'll never know the truth of it.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
been up a ladder to the roof. I'll never know the truth of it

Song by the supremes " up the ladder to the roof where you can see heaven much better" !

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I haven't but I might look into it now that you mention it. The shortest journey time is 46 hours.

I went to Seattle for work in 2009 and took my wife there in 2012. We had a really good time despite my growing realisation that there was something wrong with her. With hindsight it was the beginning of memory difficulties and confabulations. On our first night, tired from the journey, the time difference and a few drinks, she got up to 'look for me' in the early hours (I was in the bathroom) and got locked out of the bedroom. She was brought back by the receptionist, having - by her account - been up a ladder to the roof. I'll never know the truth of it.

My goodness that brings back memories. My husband went musing from our hotel room in Turkey twice. Once he was brought back by a lovely receptionist. The second time he woke maybsaying there was a gentleman who wanted wanted to speak me. This was the night receptionist who found him in the reception area in his pjs.

Your plans sound good.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.

@northumbrian_k I am with you on this although many (who have no role in the care requirements) criticise me as selfish. Ok Pauline is not as bad yet as your wife clearly is but it is the intention to travel/holiday without her that is the point. For my part it is Canada and Alaska for me for 3 weeks in September in spite of having had a mini stroke a couple of weeks ago myself. As it happens it is the final trip in my bucket list but not the last trip I would like to make. Hope you fulfil the dream mate.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Agzy i did the train ride across Canada in 2010 from Toronto to Vancouver and loved it. That has given me the notion to do the Chicago to Seattle ride. Some day!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
@Agzy i did the train ride across Canada in 2010 from Toronto to Vancouver and loved it. That has given me the notion to do the Chicago to Seattle ride. Some day!
When I did the East to West trip it was by coach and covered the cities of the east plus Niagara Falls then flew from Toronto to Calgary followed by 3 night stay in Banff and tours out daily all of which was brilliant. From Banff we went to Vancouver/Vancouver Island by coach taking 2 days but saw so much and stopped often to explore towns and villages etc including a ghost town and Hope, where the world chainsaw carving takes place and all the winning pieces are scattered all around. Vancouver Island included whale watching Cruise of course. Loved it and went with Travelshere who also have a solo traveller section with whom I am doing Alaska.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
@northumbrian_k I am with you on this although many (who have no role in the care requirements) criticise me as selfish. Ok Pauline is not as bad yet as your wife clearly is but it is the intention to travel/holiday without her that is the point. For my part it is Canada and Alaska for me for 3 weeks in September in spite of having had a mini stroke a couple of weeks ago myself. As it happens it is the final trip in my bucket list but not the last trip I would like to make. Hope you fulfil the dream mate.
Enjoy Alaska Agzy. I lived there for 8 years back in the 70s and early 80s. It is a beautiful place...drove the Alcan highway though the Yukon a couple of times. Dont miss Homer
one of my favorite spots.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Enjoy Alaska Agzy. I lived there for 8 years back in the 70s and early 80s. It is a beautiful place...drove the Alcan highway though the Yukon a couple of times. Dont miss Homer
one of my favorite spots.
It is a coach tour and has a fixed itinerary but for me is a far better option than the cruise that many opt for as I like to get up close and personal when travelling but will check about Homer, thank you

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I have fond memories of our Canadian trip in 2006 - Niagara, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec - which was mostly by train after a direct flight from Newcastle. By chance the Montreal Jazz Festival was on and we went to a concert by one of Toronto's finest singers and another of my long-standing favourites, David Clayton-Thomas. Plus the Neville Brothers in a free open air concert that was so crowded one needed binoculars to check that it was really them. All that and bike racing when we arrived at Quebec.