Oramorph

May30

Feb 25, 2017
Hi,
My Dad moved into a care home in January after being in hospital. He had become increasingly more difficult during personal care whilst at home before hospitalisation. This became worse in the hospital and it continues to be difficult now that he is in the care home. He gets very distressed and clings to the bed and it becomes impossible to move him at all. As soon as anyone touches him to help him to move he becomes very aggressive. He kicks and grips your hand so tight that he has hurt several of the carers hands, wrists and scratched them. It is not like this every time, sometimes he is more cooperative, but more often than not it is difficult, particularly in the evening. Whilst he was in hospital he was given Promethazine but that seemed to have too much of a sedative effect and often left him completely knocked out so they have now stopped it. The doctor has now suggested a very small dose of Oramorph 30 minutes before personal care and says that it wears off within 3 hours. He has physio twice a week where he goes for a walk. It's the only time that he is mobile and I don't know if the Oramorph would affect his mobility? Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm not sure whether a medication that has a sedative effect is better than an anti-psychotic?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
My dad was prescribed memantine when he became aggressive in the care home and when I see him he seems fine so try asking the doctor about this.

MaNaAk

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Hi,
My Dad moved into a care home in January after being in hospital. He had become increasingly more difficult during personal care whilst at home before hospitalisation. This became worse in the hospital and it continues to be difficult now that he is in the care home. He gets very distressed and clings to the bed and it becomes impossible to move him at all. As soon as anyone touches him to help him to move he becomes very aggressive. He kicks and grips your hand so tight that he has hurt several of the carers hands, wrists and scratched them. It is not like this every time, sometimes he is more cooperative, but more often than not it is difficult, particularly in the evening. Whilst he was in hospital he was given Promethazine but that seemed to have too much of a sedative effect and often left him completely knocked out so they have now stopped it. The doctor has now suggested a very small dose of Oramorph 30 minutes before personal care and says that it wears off within 3 hours. He has physio twice a week where he goes for a walk. It's the only time that he is mobile and I don't know if the Oramorph would affect his mobility? Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm not sure whether a medication that has a sedative effect is better than an anti-psychotic?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Hi there
Oramorph is pain relief. My dad was on it off and on for two years. It is not generally prescribed as a sedative. The doctors may be thinking that his aggression relates to pain. Maybe worth a go. Didn't affect his mobility at all ,in fact improved it cos there was less pain
Hope this helps

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp