Are LPA's necessary?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply to this thread. I have now found an old friend of mine, who knows OH who has agreed to be the Certificate Provider for us! I will be getting the paperwork sorted asap and into the OPG
Thats good to hear :)

HazieP

Jan 20, 2019
You definitely need lpa and a separate bank account for you, transferring money to a joint account for bills and expenses. Find a reliable person to draw them up. It’s well worth paying for. I have health and welfare and financial. This means I can make decisions on health issues for my husband and get results for blood tests from our gp. I used a great lady from Wills for life,

SandraKD

Nov 26, 2018
You definitely need lpa and a separate bank account for you, transferring money to a joint account for bills and expenses. Find a reliable person to draw them up. It’s well worth paying for. I have health and welfare and financial. This means I can make decisions on health issues for my husband and get results for blood tests from our gp. I used a great lady from Wills for life,
Hi HazieP and thank you for taking the time to reply. I have now got the separate bank account sorted, all done on line thank goodness! And I am going to get the LPA's done in the next couple of weeks.
I already can get results of blood tests etc. As our GP is online too, I log on as OH and can see all that needs doing, repeat prescriptions etc.

HazieP

Jan 20, 2019
Hi HazieP and thank you for taking the time to reply. I have now got the separate bank account sorted, all done on line thank goodness! And I am going to get the LPA's done in the next couple of weeks.
I already can get results of blood tests etc. As our GP is online too, I log on as OH and can see all that needs doing, repeat prescriptions etc.
Hope it works well for you.x

Jazbir

Feb 12, 2019
My dad has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and has always refused to make a POA. He has put standing orders in place for all his nursing home rent, own home maintenance etc. He is very near to the end of his life - is there a benefit of having a LPA when I don't envisage any monetary outgoings in the future? I'd rather he continued to feel he has control of at least one part of his life.

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
I would recommend you get both poa’s.
I have financial poa for pwd but the home are denying me access to care plans because I haven’t got the health n weathfair one! I’m going through appeal and still they won’t give me access which is making things difficult
Advice - get them both ASAP.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
You can plan for the things you know about, it's always the things that come up out of the blue that trip you up.

My husband is trying very hard to get LPA for his dad.....bit of an uphill task! It is comparatively cheap for peace of mind, and remember it only kicks in if your dad is no longer able to do it for himself....in which case wouldn't it be better for a loving family member to be able to easily manage his money for him? And the H and W one would enable you to arrange/challenge anything to do with his healthcare, living arrangements etc instead of being shut out of decisions. Make use of his current independence to ensure you can help him later down the line.....and good luck with the conversation (try getting someone his own age to talk to him about it)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My dad has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers and has always refused to make a POA. He has put standing orders in place for all his nursing home rent, own home maintenance etc. He is very near to the end of his life - is there a benefit of having a LPA when I don't envisage any monetary outgoings in the future? I'd rather he continued to feel he has control of at least one part of his life.

It doesn't sound like there would any benefit - as long as things stay the same. But unfortunately you can't predict what will happen so if you could get him to do it without distressing him, it may be a good idea. But if he still doesn't want to, there is no point stressing about it because you can't force the matter, it has to be his choice (and he has to have the capacity to do it).