Mamma Mia

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Daughter and I went to see the new Mamma Mia movie this week. Sat crying in the dark when I recalled that when the first film came out my Mum came along too and I remember her singing along in the dark. She loved Abba and even now if she hears music she likes she will shake her booty whilst keeping a firm grip on her walking frame!
She has settled well into the home but I miss how it used to be.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've been to see it twice already, it's a beautiful film, and while it's very funny and cheerful, it also deals with heartbreak and mourning so I can see why you would feel affected. I had wet eyes too at the end!

Last edited:

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Oooh @father ted - I'm hoping to go soon to see it with my daughter. Can't wait. My favourite bit of the first film was all the out takes at the end - hilarious.
I so enjoy a bit of ABBA and so does the manager of Mum's CH ... it is played there so much!
Lovely to hear that your Mum is still a foxy lady with a wiggle - even with her walking frame!

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
I was lucky enough too see ABBA perform live twice - firstly at Birmingham in 1976 and then again in 1979 at Wembley Arena and mum was there too! She loved ABBA. I have to say the earlier show was better. Dancing Queen was a hit and they were riding high. Frida and Agnetha really could sing! Fantastic. Who would have thought all these years later a musical and 2 films!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I haven't seen it yet @father ted .

Perhaps you could add Spoiler Alert to the title so people know not to look if they don't know these things.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
++++ Non Spoiler Alert +++

Oh yes... the church bit where Walter and Loo, give their babies silly names - Jimmy, Himmie, Kimmie ... it is after all a rich mans world.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Hair Twiddler, that did make me laugh!

It was a lovely film. Beautiful scenery, good tunes and good looking people. Life with all the ugly bits taken out. I did giggle when Cher sang ' now we're old and grey Fernando'. Old and grey being a concept entirely alien to dear Cher who I love.
By the way Hair Twiddler my son and I had a fantastic time seeing the Foo Fighters. Just in our row the ages must have ranged from 10- around 80. Dave was on good form. Walked back to the tube with about 4000 people singing Best of You all my troubles seemed a long way away.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Daughter and I went to see the new Mamma Mia movie this week. Sat crying in the dark when I recalled that when the first film came out my Mum came along too and I remember her singing along in the dark. She loved Abba and even now if she hears music she likes she will shake her booty whilst keeping a firm grip on her walking frame!
She has settled well into the home but I miss how it used to be.
It's very difficult and very sad isn't it, we hold so many memories and can't help but wish all was once as it was instead of our poor mums suffering.
I'm glad she has settled well and that you enjoyed the film even though it was bittersweet x

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I so want to see the film. I was going last Friday with OH and daughter but the cinema air conditioning was broken, and as it was the hottest of days, we decided not to go.

doodle1

May 11, 2012
I went to see it last night too and loved despite spending the last bit in floods of tears as it was the first night in ten years that we ( my husband and I ) went to the cinema...ten years of no spontaneity ...always in crisis mode. I still look after mum with severely advanced Alz but she has been in a care home for 6 months now doing really well and it was just the contrast that got to me. Happy lovely film such a contrast to my last ten years.hugs to all

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27