Should Dementia Diagnosis be visible on car insurance documents?

lornahmcc

Sep 14, 2017
Would appreciate any advice/guidance on whether my Dad's dementia diagnosis should be mentioned in his new car insurance documents from Marks & Spencer?

We notified M&S over 3 months ago and they sent revised insurance docs to cover him up till 20th September (no mention of dementia). We have just accepted new quote from them to take him up to 19th Sept 2018 yet no mention of it again on insurance documents.

My sister thinks it should be mentioned and I'm not so sure.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

I certainly would advise them of the diagnosis regardless of having told them 3 months ago. This is a new policy and insurance companies are quick to refuse to pay out if information has not been forthcoming.

It is important your father has proper cover as it will be more likely that he will have the odd bump or two as his judgement diminishes or he looses concentration.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Would appreciate any advice/guidance on whether my Dad's dementia diagnosis should be mentioned in his new car insurance documents from Marks & Spencer?

We notified M&S over 3 months ago and they sent revised insurance docs to cover him up till 20th September (no mention of dementia). We have just accepted new quote from them to take him up to 19th Sept 2018 yet no mention of it again on insurance documents.

My sister thinks it should be mentioned and I'm not so sure.

No it will not appear on the Insurance Documents but it will be noted on their system so might be worth your Dad checking.

:)

lornahmcc

Sep 14, 2017
Many thanks

Many thanks for info Jaymor

Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

I certainly would advise them of the diagnosis regardless of having told them 3 months ago. This is a new policy and insurance companies are quick to refuse to pay out if information has not been forthcoming.

It is important your father has proper cover as it will be more likely that he will have the odd bump or two as his judgement diminishes or he looses concentration.

lornahmcc

Sep 14, 2017
Update: Should Dementia Diagnosis be visible on car insurance documents?

Thanks Jaymor and PeteR for your speedy responses.

I called M&S Car Insurance as you both suggested and they confirmed that a dementia diagnosis will not appear on insurance documents.

They advised they will provide insurance as long as they receive notification from the DVLA that the driver is safe to drive.

Thought this might help anyone else who is in a similar situation.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
How do you go about getting that from the DVLA, they would need a written letter from GP or hospital or memory clinic confirming OK to drive and who would be willing to do that? - Unless they mean that if you haven't reported to DVLA he is unfit to drive, they take it as read he is ok to drive? Not necessarily the
same thing.

I found as Dad was declining and his undiagnosed dementia was increasing post stroke (after which he was still allowed to drive) Dad thought he was capable when I knew he wasn't. I had to frog march him down to GP and fortunately I had a great supportive GP who spelt it out to Dad in black and white under no circumstances should he drive again.
Sadly the system doesn't seem to provide adequately for this and it is down to family to enforce the inevitable withdrawal from driving, however best they can when they feel the time is right.