need a proper diagnose

magdolin

Feb 1, 2017
Blackpool Lancashire
How do you get a proper diagnosis? Mum had liver cirrhosis and has basically been treated like an alcoholic now she did like a glass of wine but was never, ever a heavy drinker and hasnt had any thing at all for over 12 months, she gets passed back and forth between medical and mental health neither of them seem to want to know saying its up to the other service. She has just come out of hospital as she had gone really down hill not talking sleeping all the time, of course she picked up at the hospital lol I said next time am just going to take her for a wander round hospital in her wheelchair, anyway am waffling she had loads of blood tests, xray on her lungs etc and everything was ok including her liver. I just think if we could get a proper diagnosis it may help my step dad come to terms with her illness. She did have a memory test and scored really low but that was about 10 months ago. No one seems interested she has a social worker and a cpn with the mental health team but noone has been out to see her for over three months now. I know they did try to help but my step dad is his own worst enemy and wants things done his way or no way which does get there backs up a bit but to me that is no excuse.

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
How do you get a proper diagnosis? Mum had liver cirrhosis and has basically been treated like an alcoholic now she did like a glass of wine but was never, ever a heavy drinker and hasnt had any thing at all for over 12 months, she gets passed back and forth between medical and mental health neither of them seem to want to know saying its up to the other service. She has just come out of hospital as she had gone really down hill not talking sleeping all the time, of course she picked up at the hospital lol I said next time am just going to take her for a wander round hospital in her wheelchair, anyway am waffling she had loads of blood tests, xray on her lungs etc and everything was ok including her liver. I just think if we could get a proper diagnosis it may help my step dad come to terms with her illness. She did have a memory test and scored really low but that was about 10 months ago. No one seems interested she has a social worker and a cpn with the mental health team but noone has been out to see her for over three months now. I know they did try to help but my step dad is his own worst enemy and wants things done his way or no way which does get there backs up a bit but to me that is no excuse.

Hello magdolin,
it does seem to take quite a long time to get a diagnosis. I think Mum had about 3 tests over an 18 month period. They need to discount any other causes, so the Cirrhosis red herring may not be helping... Has the Dr identified the cause of the Cirrhosis - that may help you over that hurdle...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cirrhosis/Pages/Causes.aspx

I think I'd contact your Mum's cpn and give her the full story and see if you can progress the diagnosis.

rgds, Elizabeth.