Care home costs

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It will be on Facebook multiple times already as Change.org is very well organised and as you sign you're invited to share it.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thank you everyone, it is on facebook, as Stanley says that is how Change.org move things forward. You are right Blue that it does need wider coverage, if everyone who signs also shares it on their facebook page and asks others to do sign and share (some people just 'like' which doesn't spread the word, it has to be a 'share'). They also use twitter but I don't have twitter and my phone is useless so if anyone 'tweets' then please 'tweet' it.

I think sharing is the way forward.

Great support, thank you x

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I don't do FB much at all but I usually share that I've signed petitions and today 2 of my small circle have signed almost immediately.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I've signed and shared on facebook too x

Thank you and thank you to everyone else who has signed too, I am hoping to promote it through the media once I have more signatures and from there I hope that someone will help to take up the legal challenge

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree Gwendy1 - I can't move my parent because it would be extremely detrimental to her mental health to do so. It could be even be a safeguarding concern if I tried. I'm cross initially because they mislead my family and I with costs, but to increase it without explanation is not acceptable. I can't do anything until Tuesday but I will challenge it because as far as I'm concerned, they've breached the verbal contract and have not given sufficient notice for the increase. My parent is on a temporary placement, you'd think they would want to keep them rather than have an empty bed! When I looked at Company House to see their business accounts I was horrified at the profit made last year for the shareholders. How obscene to make this amount of profit from vulnerable people!
StanleyPJ, I intend to take it as far as I can - MP, change.org petition, TV, newpapers etc. Fizzie - let me know if I can help your cause in any way.

Middlemiss I have lost your email address, can you email me again please xx

Welsh lass

Mar 4, 2016
If it is illegal and I have reason to believe it is, then an alternative will have to be found. I believe, and have been told by investors in care homes, as another poster said that 50% money taken is profit and this is coming from the self funders. It simply doesn't cost that much and if for example it costs £700 (which it doesn't) and the council are paying £500 (more like the cost) then the profit comes straight out of the £1200 that the self funder is paying. If there is legal redress then the Councils would have to take care back into their hands, cut out the fat cat care home owners and bingo things become much more equal. Then if people choose to self fund in private care homes that is up to them but that is a completely separate issue. All the nonsense that the councils gave people initially about block booking is now a thing of the past, they don't. Just because it is going to be challenging doesn't mean it shouldn't be tackled and there will be massive support from it. Hard earned money is being swallowed up in profit and I agree that when you are paying for exactly the same product you should never be charge 60-70% more. However, I need to get the background work done and then I believe the press will take it up. Yes, Middlemass I would love your help when I start to get info together - I have to wait weeks for some Freedom of Info requests to be dealt with! - I will private message you with my details, thank you very much
I think this is well worth fighting for . It is totally unfair. Is the situation the same in Wales? I think that England has an upper ceiling for care home costs but there is no such ceiling in Wales.

allchange

Nov 29, 2015
Progress at last?

ww.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4366192/How-care-homes-hit-middle-classes-charging-more.html

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Progress at last?
How is this helping? From the article:
"Councils tell private providers to up costs for those who pay fees themselves
This subsidises cheaper, council-funded places for those without savings"
And
A company was told its private rates ‘should be raised in order to subsidise the socially funded provision’."
OK some MP's are saying it's wrong which is progress of some sort but basically the LA's are advocating the policy of self funders paying more and using them as a revenue stream to keep their costs down. I've read the article and it's hardly optimistic.
K

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4366192/How-care-homes-hit-middle-classes-charging-more.html

Last edited by a moderator:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Perhaps it might help even if it only makes more people aware of this unfair practice? This may in turn lead eventually to the practice being questioned by more and more people.