OPG supervision

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Don't know where to place this message, but asking for advice. I gained deputyship for my mum through the Court of Protection in July 2015, because she wasn't able to understand what PoA was about, and therefore sign up to it. After getting the deputyship I paid an insurance fee which was about making my mum's assets secure. However I've now received a document from the Office of the Public Guardian asking me for £174.86 as an annual deputy supervision fee, for the year ending 31/3/16. No problem with this, except that I didn't get deputyship until July 2015. Is there anybody out there who can explain why this fee should be charged from March 2015, or do I need to dispute it?

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Don't know where to place this message, but asking for advice. I gained deputyship for my mum through the Court of Protection in July 2015, because she wasn't able to understand what PoA was about, and therefore sign up to it. After getting the deputyship I paid an insurance fee which was about making my mum's assets secure. However I've now received a document from the Office of the Public Guardian asking me for £174.86 as an annual deputy supervision fee, for the year ending 31/3/16. No problem with this, except that I didn't get deputyship until July 2015. Is there anybody out there who can explain why this fee should be charged from March 2015, or do I need to dispute it?

I don't know but other TPs will be able to answer you. I am an night owl and always check in here?

Hugs

Aisling

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Has the OPG told you what period your annual report will cover?
If less than 12 months, then could you ask for a fee discount?
Did you start to act as deputy from April 2015, e.g. with an interim order?
Just guesswork, sorry, I have no experience with deputyship.

I have Scottish Guardianship for my mum. In our case the first annual account actually covered 1 year + 7 weeks, counting from the date of the Interim Order. The fee was the same as for a standard 12 month assessment period. It may be different in Scotland, but our documents state that the OPG can assess any time period they like. 12 months is not set in stone. If they want more, we have to comply. However, if I was charged the same fee for a shorter period I certainly would challenge that.

Early riser

Mar 16, 2014
Yorkshire
The annual supervision fee for the year April 1st to March 31st is £320.
The first year is settled in proportion hence the £174.86.
When the assets drop below £21000 the fee is reduced to £35 but you must inform them as it's not done automatically.
Hope this helps and is one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5