Dad 82yrs just been dx early stages mixed dementia

Prince merlot

Feb 20, 2015
My dad 82yrs isn't a well man. He had prostrate cancer 10 years ago and although in remission with that the treatment gave him leukaemia. He know has a rare form of anaemia and was told on a scale of mild to bad it is very bad.

Last August (2014) he was rushed to A+E having woken up confused. By the time he got to hospital he was very confused and had lost 15 years.

He was surprised at how quickly I had visited him as he'd forgotten he's been living in the same town as me for 13 years. He asked me who had brought me to hospital and not thinking I said Sam, my son, his grandson (25yrs) and he became very distressed saying Sam can't drive a car he's only 10yrs and still at school. He got quite verbally aggressive.

After two days in hospital he returned home. A lot of his memory eventually came back although he's not very good at remembering family names or which day of the week it is. He doesn't remember anything about being in hospital.

Four weeks ago I received another frantic phone call from my mum to say he was going to A+E again as he had passed out and was fitting. He doesn't remember that either which is perhaps a good thing for him. After brain scans and a visit to the memory clinic he's been diagnosed this week with mixed dementia.

I don't know what to expect does someone with mixed dementia have more problems than someone with Alzheimer's or is it an unknown quantity?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My dad 82yrs isn't a well man. He had prostrate cancer 10 years ago and although in remission with that the treatment gave him leukaemia. He know has a rare form of anaemia and was told on a scale of mild to bad it is very bad.

Last August (2014) he was rushed to A+E having woken up confused. By the time he got to hospital he was very confused and had lost 15 years.

He was surprised at how quickly I had visited him as he'd forgotten he's been living in the same town as me for 13 years. He asked me who had brought me to hospital and not thinking I said Sam, my son, his grandson (25yrs) and he became very distressed saying Sam can't drive a car he's only 10yrs and still at school. He got quite verbally aggressive.

After two days in hospital he returned home. A lot of his memory eventually came back although he's not very good at remembering family names or which day of the week it is. He doesn't remember anything about being in hospital.

Four weeks ago I received another frantic phone call from my mum to say he was going to A+E again as he had passed out and was fitting. He doesn't remember that either which is perhaps a good thing for him. After brain scans and a visit to the memory clinic he's been diagnosed this week with mixed dementia.

I don't know what to expect does someone with mixed dementia have more problems than someone with Alzheimer's or is it an unknown quantity?

Hello and welcome to Talking Point.

Your poor Dad, as a family you have not had an easy ride. Hopefully joining the forum will help you , at least with the dementia.

There are many forms of dementia but most present the same problems, not necessarily in the same order or timescale. You will find support, advice and friendship here and somewhere to let of steam when things get difficult. We all understand whether we are at the beginning of the journey or further down the road.

Look forward to seeing you post,

Jay

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Welcome to Talking Point. There is good advice and support available here. You might find that there is more traffic on the "I care for someone with Alzheimer's" board but don't let that stop you from posting wherever you want.

I am sorry to hear about your father and all the health issues he has, in addition to the dementia.

I'm not an expert on the types of dementia but others here will know more than I do.

I live in the States, so our system is different, but if you have not yet been in touch with the UK Alzheimer's Association, and Age UK, those are two good places to start for information about dementia.

I personally also found it very helpful to read through both current and old threads here on TP. You can also search for particular topics. This is especially handy when there is a new or puzzling or worrying behaviour and I was able to find out, it wasn't just my mother who does that, and maybe get some advice from others on how they dealt with it. Even if there isn't any advice, there is always understanding, sympathy, and support. This is the one place I know I can come and really let go and not have to worry about how others will react to what I say.

Best of luck to you, and hope you will come back and let us know how you get on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77