disregard on a property / family member going into full time care etc

johnpaul83

Jan 29, 2015
derbyshire
hello,. can any one give me some advice,..

i have been a full time carer for my mother from around 2005 / 2006 till the present day 2015 etc
and also i gave care to my father for many, many years till he passed away in in april 2002,...

i have lived at the property all my life and i have had no change of address,..
recently my mums health ben very poor, and she has milld onset dementia, so me and my sisters are looking at care homes,.. my concern is that at some point in the future i may be made homeless if the LA dont give me a disregard on my mums property,..

can any one shed any light on the best way forward, cant afford a solicitor etc

many thanks john paul.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi John Paul,

I am in a similar, but not identical, position to you and will offer what advice I can. I gave up my home abroad and moved in with my Mom 11 years ago when she first needed help. She moved into a NH last Summer. The LA refused my application for a disregard and I am awaiting the result of an appeal.

First it is highly unlikely you will be made homeless when your Mom goes into care :)however if the LA do not disregard you may have to face that possibility in the future.:( but from what you have said already your case does seem stronger than mine.

Would you mind just adding a tad more information which will help in my reply not being too long.

How old are you and are you "incapacitated" in that you receive some state disability benefit?

Who is the official owner of your Mum's house and as you have siblings involved do you know what happens to the house with regard to any will?

Are Social Services involved and has the need for your Mom to go into care been discussed with them.

Does anyone have Power of Attorney over her affairs?

Tucky

Apr 9, 2015
Cheshire
My position is similar I have lived with Mum and Dad since 2009 as main carer and disregard refused as they say mum lived on her own and I deprived of assets. Now with MP.

Hi John Paul,

I am in a similar, but not identical, position to you and will offer what advice I can. I gave up my home abroad and moved in with my Mom 11 years ago when she first needed help. She moved into a NH last Summer. The LA refused my application for a disregard and I am awaiting the result of an appeal.

First it is highly unlikely you will be made homeless when your Mom goes into care :)however if the LA do not disregard you may have to face that possibility in the future.:( but from what you have said already your case does seem stronger than mine.

Would you mind just adding a tad more information which will help in my reply not being too long.

How old are you and are you "incapacitated" in that you receive some state disability benefit?

Who is the official owner of your Mum's house and as you have siblings involved do you know what happens to the house with regard to any will?

Are Social Services involved and has the need for your Mom to go into care been discussed with them.

Does anyone have Power of Attorney over her affairs?