driving

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
the doctor came today and says my husbands alzheimer's has progressed and he thinks he should not be driving anymore, he has an assessment arranged for 4th nov, any tips on how to deal with this except from hiding keys.

Chocolateear

Aug 7, 2014
Dorset
the doctor came today and says my husbands alzheimer's has progressed and he thinks he should not be driving anymore, he has an assessment arranged for 4th nov, any tips on how to deal with this except from hiding keys.

You have my sympathies. My husband is fighting the DVLA to get his license back. They are waiting for a report from our GP and two Consultants. We have a daily repetitive litany about it. Today he rang them and they told him that it would take another eight weeks, so he got his keys and drove round to the hospital for his blood test before I could stop him.

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
that what I am worried about, he took his keys and hid them from me , now he's forgot where he put them, fun and games.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
This is the worst part of the disease. It highlights the need for the sufferer to hold on to the last part of there independence and on the other side is the safety of other road users and pedestrians that could be put in danger by a driver that has not got the capacity to make instant decisions. Last week I had my life in my hands as my OH was driving the car and crashed through a traffic island. I would have blamed myself if there had been a pedestrian stood on the said island as they would have been killed instantly. Whilst we have sympathy for the sufferers we have to contain safety for all road users.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
unfortunately difficult to give advise not knowing the age of the Driver :confused::confused:, yes dementia is a progressive illness but it can be extremely slow in its decline obviously this doses depends on a person’s age when its first diagnosed a person diagnosed at age 55 could have another 30 years so at the age it’s possible the brain will compensate for the damaged parts it happens with strokes

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
thank you every one fopr your help, my oh is 73 has been having yearly driving licences for over 10 years now, so have been living on knife edge all this time/

spree

Jun 25, 2014
north wales
Hi Spree I know exactly the situation your husband is in I myself was given a 12 month driving licence for 12 years but never gave up my fight for the right to have my full driving licence reinstated if DVLA so finally I decided if they were only going to grant it for the 12 month period they would have to Prove beyond doubt that my dementia was restricting my ability to drive obviously the couldn't because I passed every driving assessment required and had support from family GP memory Consultant's O'T Car Insurance broker and Car Hire companies I use when in Spain
all agreed I had the ability to drive , so DVLA were in a bit of a stick situation pity they didn't listen to me 13 years ago but at least I was granted a full driving licence 18 months ago No more medical enquiries by the I'm 71

thank you at least bit of hope, it means the world to him I no but the difference is our doctor thinks it has progressed to far for him to be driving now

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello spree l feel for you this is very difficult, my husband was very good about not being able to drive he hasn't been driving for 2yrs, l think because his father was a Sergent Major in the army he would always do as he was told it was drummed into him, l did hide his keys but he just accepted it, l wish you well ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
from experience out of sight is out of mind,move the car and in time he won't remember he even had one,i had to sell a perfectly good car when the wife was diagnosed,only to replace it with something with no connection to her.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
from experience out of sight is out of mind,move the car and in time he won't remember he even had one,i had to sell a perfectly good car when the wife was diagnosed,only to replace it with something with no connection to her.

I wish that were true. My husband hasn't had a car of his own for over three years but we have daily references to 'his' car, and the unfairness of him not being able to drive. It seems to be a very hard thing to let go of.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
Tony,spree's husband has alzheimer's,my wife has alzheimer's,who mentioned other dementia's or cognitive impairment,i don't understand your reply,i fully understand how shot my wife's memory is at 44,that's why i put from experience,ie my experience,my london taxi blew up last week and it's parked up down my daughter's,Denise has no idea we even owned the old gal,let alone going on holiday in it.my dad had alzheimer's and only could remember who i was and not my sisters,again from experience,my experience,i do understand,i'm on my second run in with alzheimer's,never thought it would take my wife's life away from her as the kids just became adults,the time we should of being starting a new phase in our married life together.

Last edited:

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
yes i understand all that,but i didn't understand why you thought i'd upset anybody when i put the key words"from experience" which obviously means from my experience,because all the experience i have gained through my life is personal experience not from another person,re spect scans etc,they were that determined Denise was too young to have alzheimer's we also have been through the tests and some besides,some conditions tested for were definate stabs in the dark but worth a try at the time,please read my posts carefully in future before you assume that i might upset somebody,please note peoples replies are based on personal experience,mine are no different,from help with council tax disregard,dla,esa and everything else i try to help people with,if i aint got a clue,i don't comment,malc

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
unless you had Alzheimer’s yourself you haven’t got any experience of living with condition at all

I appreciate that living with a condition in terms of actually having the condition puts anyone in a special position. However those of us living with someone close with Alzheimer's most certainly 'live with the condition' often with more awareness of what is happening than the actual sufferer.

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
just discussed this thread with Denise,she openly admits she isn't suffering with alzheimer's,everyday is normal to her,the loved ones and carers like trisha4 says are the people that are living with the condition with more awareness,i'm definitley living with the condition,my wife of 22 years who i love very much is fading away,can't tell the time,no concept of the fact it's october who what october is in relation to the seasons,won't remember what she had for tea at 5 o'clock by 6 o'clock,i've not slept properly for 6 years,please don't tell me i'm not living with the condition,if you've had alzheimer's for 15 years and still have an active brain your a very lucky man,but my wife is delearning rapidly,all i want for christmas is my wife to still know who i am,nothing else.