Who am I?

Grable

May 19, 2015
My OH has only recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's with Lewy Bodies. He's seen the psychiatrist twice now and is on medication for his delusions. The problem is that he doesn't know they're delusions (obviously) and believes the reason for the diagnosis is that I 'pulled the wool over' the psychiatrist's eyes.

So far, apart from the fact that he imagines us to be living in a different place, sometimes in a different town or even country, things haven't been so bad. When we had Covid a couple of years ago, in his fever he mistook me for his sister. That's happened a couple of times since, but has always been short-lived.

Today, I got home from work and found that I was his sister again. This time, my telling him my name confused him rather than convincing him. After a hour or so of this, he told me he'd had enough of this '****ing about', it wasn't funny and I needed to stop the game.

What on earth are you supposed to do?

(By the way, his sister, whom he loved dearly, died 12 years ago. She was under 5 feet tall, slight and had dark hair - I'm 5'6", anything but slight and a mixture of grey and blonde!! I have to say, if I have to be mistaken for anybody, his sister's not a bad person to choose. She was lovely!)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You're Grable and we all here for you, that's all you need to know.
I was my wife's brother, our neighbour or just some bloke off the street she didn't know.
It isn't easy, we just all cope in own way, it's a 24 carat solid gold world of stuff but we all get along somehow. K

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Grable First of all you say that the last time your husband confused you with his sister was when he had Covid. I am wondering if it is possible that he has an infection such as a UTI and it might be useful to get him checked out.

What you are describing is Capgras syndrome and as you have found it is no good arguing with your husband that you are not his sister. Just accept that you are still someone he trusts. It’s hard, but easier for both of you.

I hope that this helps a little and keep posting, either for advice or just to rant a little when you want to.