Using virtual reality to enhance the wellbeing of people living with dementia

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi everyone,

We've had the below request from Recreo VR, one of this year's Alzheimer's Society Accelerator Partners :)

They are working on an innovation aimed at enhancing the mental and social wellbeing of people living with dementia, through the use of virtual reality (VR) and person-centred content. Their goal is to create fun and engaging VR content that enables residents to reconnect with their pasts and the outside world.

Recreo VR primarily produce their own content, and would love to gather suggestions from this forum. These could be inspired by your own interests or those of your loved ones. Whether it's a favourite sport, pastime, or any captivating experience that can be captured in 360°, they are eager to explore a diverse range of options.

They'd like to know:
  • What are your favourite memories that you’d love to capture in a video if you could?

• What are your favourite activities and hobbies that would work well for virtual reality videos to help people living with dementia connect to past memories?

• If you were living at home or in a care home, what would bring back positive memories for you?
Your answers to any of the above will be really appreciated by the team working on this.

For more information about Recreo VR visit their website.

pauljp

Oct 2, 2023
This is an interesting concept. I'll have to check that VR website out. thanks for sharing.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I admire technology. I also volunteer most days in a nursing home. Residents quickly tire of anything to do with technology. They need human beings to hold their hand and talk about the past.
What about a project to get more volunteers like me?