OPG and LPAs and REVOKE

wavingFIRTREES21

Jul 9, 2023
Hi my dad had made an LPA around 3 or 4 years ago. He had his wife and 3 of his adult children on there. My eldest sister came into our lives again after a break from the family and dad wanted her to be added to the LPA. By this time his wife had left the marital home and announced her new boyfriend to dad a year later. Dad was upset by this and took legal advice with the help of myself and Sister.
Dad signed a Revoke for the first LPA and asked my Sister and I to continue with the legal advice and set up another LPA in just our names as attorneys.
There has since been some altercations with one of our siblings after he found out he was not on the new LPA. This caused his wife (who is no longer with dad) to send a Revoke for the second LPA, which has not been revoked yet. I'm not sure if another LPA has been drawn up with the other 2 siblings yet.

My question is. Can the second LPA be revoked by OPG if the first one has already been revoked? Essentially leaving dad without an LPA?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If John draws up and LPA doc, and names Sally, Susie and Sam at his attorneys, only John can change ir/revoke it
Any one of the attorneys can ask to be removed, but cant cancel the whole thing

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @wavingFIRTREES21 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

As already mentioned, the only person who can revoke your dad's LPA is your dad, assuming that he has the mental capacity to do this. The OPG website explains how to end an LPA by using a deed of revocation:

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/end

The fact that your dad has revoked a previous LPA should not mean that he can't revoke the current LPA and make a new LPA if he wishes to do so, as long as he has capacity to do so.

Hope this helps. Here are the OPG contact details if you wish to contact them directly:

customerservices@publicguardian.gov.uk
Telephone
0300 456 0300