New to talk point

Andy2

Feb 1, 2022
Hi, we have a mother 86yr old, diagnosed 4yrs ago, we have been coping reasonably well up untill now.
But unfortunately things are turning for the worst. I am hoping the site will help in our next stage of my mother's illness , aggressive towards dad, will not allow us to keep them clean etc. Hope to make some sense and decisions in the future.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello and welcome to DTP @Andy2 ..
I’m sure the forum will be of help both for information and support please have a good read and ask whatever questions you need to..

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to Talking Point, @Andy2 . You will certainly find help advice and support here from others with experience of similar things to those you are going through. Have you asked Social Care Services for a care needs review for your mother? They should be able to offer some help.

Rollwithflow

May 15, 2019
ALZ is a very interesting disease. It can change your loved one overnight. The worse for me was the sundowing phase. Everyday for a month between 2pm and 7pm. Got through that and now he's much better with no meds. I took him off all meds and he's doing better than ever. He sleeps, eat and a great patient. He loves to hug and give me a kiss which is all he needs sometimes to get a great smile.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Andy2
Im sorry to hear that your mum has taken a turn for the worse. A lot of aggression is born of fear, so you might find this thread helpful

It might be a passing phase, but in the meantime you still have to live with it and in my opinion no-one should be expected to live with aggression. Please contact the GP as there may be medication to help calm her. If it spirals into actual violence, do not hesitate to call the police. I know this sounds an over reaction, but they are trained to deal with this sort of thing and have the authority to call the emergency psychiatric team who can get the help she needs.

You might also benefit from having carers in to help with personal care. People with dementia are often more accepting when there is an "official" person in uniform.
Contact Social Services for a needs assessment for your mum.

Andy2

Feb 1, 2022
Thanks for replies, I shall read the articles etc, then think of the questions I need answering, we have had contact with memory clinic, but things need sorting regards the best way to deal with the new things going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bronskibeat