Mother wants my mobile number

pingpong

Sep 7, 2017
Over a year ago the home phone went and I now use mobile (although I don't often carry it). My mother keeps insisting on having my number. I have told her she doesn't need it as I see her twice a day every day. She is a nuisance and phones my son when she doesn't get the response she wants from me and is causing problems in that direction as my son has BPD and does not take kindly to her ringing - so I get it from both directions.
Last weekend she admitted that she can't use the phone anymore - someone rang five times before she worked out how to answer it, and it's just a phone with lift up receiver and green button.
Anyway, having asked me for the umpteenth time today I told her she isn't having my number as all she will do is make nuisance calls. She said, I swear I will only ring you if it's an absolute emergency or if John (doesn't answer). Says it all. I left telling her that she has an emergency button to push if it's an emergency and doesn't need my number as I'm round there every day twice a day.
This may sound harsh but over the years I have been contacted by her at work crying saying she's going to commit suicide, etc. and had to leave work to get to her all smiles and so on. Crying wolf and being argumentative and aggressive being par for the course and getting downright nastier by the day. Oh - also the infamous GP who I asked for help in October 2018 for a dementia diagnosis and suggested that it might be me that has the problem! has now asked social services to assess her for day to day living, ie making cup of tea, climbing stairs, etc. and any useful aids. Furious is not the word, she has all the aids available, perfectly capable of doing all those things, even does the stairs at a rate of knots when she needs to be being nosey at something out of the window, otherwise it's a snails pace as she can't manage! I believe the word is confabulation - that is her life and people believe her.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My phone isn't anything special, had it for ages, years however, it will take 3 SIM cards at a time, many do.
People I probably don't want to speak to get SIM card number 1, straight to voicemail friends get my other number.
SIM 3 is pay as you go and there for emergencies so I always have credit if I need it. All are on the same network and all have a different ringtone or alert. Check your phone. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could give your mum a dummy phone number, which might hold her off
If you do that use one of the dummy numbers published by Ofcom for use in TV drama etc
There is block of 1000 mobile numbers
Mobile07700 900000 to 900999

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
One day you will no longer be able to hear her voice again.
That’s a bit harsh @Rayreadynow now. @pingpong is only having a vent and we must support without judgement, implied or otherwise. Comments like that can start growing a guilt monster. It must be very frustrating and @pingpong is only trying to protect her son ( and herself) . Carers can only take so much, and visiting twice a day is a massive commitment.

Last edited:

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hello, I think you can block certain incoming numbers from your phone. Maybe that is something your son can consider doing? I’ve never done it but I think if he looks at the phone settings it should be possible.

As you’ve realised it’s very important for our sanity to keep these boundaries in place.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I am wondering @ping pong if the time is rapidly coming when your mum would be better in a care home. She sounds like she is at the tricky stage when she can sort of manage some of the time, but a lot of the time she is confused and needs the reassurance of you or your son. The trouble is she won't remember what you've said, hence phoning multiple times. In a care home she'd have company all the time and staff to direct her.
I found this stage the most difficult with my mum. She knew things weren't right but she didn't think it was her fault. Moving into care wasn't easy for either of us but it was the best decision.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @pingpong

This may sound callous, but you have to look after your own health, you can't worry about other people. If she keeps phoning John then he is the one to take control of that, you can't protect him at the expense of your own mental health. He can decide himself whether he wishes to answer her calls, let them go to voice mail, or block the number.

Kated1

Feb 17, 2024
Hello. I too have had issues with multiple calls from my stepmother who has dementia. 17 calls in a day were fairly common! So I now just block her number , easy to do on a mobile phone, and I only unblock her from 8am to 8pm( although if I get multiple calls on the same subject over a short period of time, I also block her) I am lucky as she has full time live in care and the carers are instructed to call me from their own mobiles if there is an emergency or something needs instant attention )
I would suggest that your son blocks her number if he does not want to talk.
I am not sure if you feel she needs an emergency number in case she falls or becomes unwell but I guess her emergency button would work in that case?
Since I found my block button my own mental health has improved dramatically as every call was just a moan from her about something or other. She complains to me about the carer then moans about me to the carer!
I have had her friends call me to ask me to stop her calling them. I obviously have no control over this so have just advised them to block her number as well, but for them to call her when it’s convenient so they can keep in touch.
Hope that helps, it’s not easy x

Kated1

Feb 17, 2024
To block number go into the contact in your mobile phone and scroll to the bottom and press block. You can also unblock in the same way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abigail26