Hello

TeacherSue

My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago with early onset temporal frontal lobe dementia with primary progressive aphasia at the age of 56 although there were a number of markers earlier than this. He goes to a day centre in the week and I have carers 2 hours either side of this so that I can go to work (I am a teacher). His behaviours are getting worse at an alarming rate now and I am worried about what the future holds for us.

Kevinl

If I ever thought my partner were to feel the way you I'd tell them to put me in a home. Stay safe, please put yourself first for once. K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Hi @TeacherSue and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have direct experience of the conditions you mention but I do know how hard it is to work and be a carer. My wife's Alzheimer's Disease was in the early stages when I found that balancing a full time job against her increasing needs was no longer sustainable. I had the option to apply for early retirement at age 59 and took it. Although this eased some of the pressure, I wouldn't necessarily recommend leaving work. That's a big commitment for which one gets no thanks. It worked out alright for me but isn't suited to all circumstances.

TeacherSue

Hi @TeacherSue and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have direct experience of the conditions you mention but I do know how hard it is to work and be a carer. My wife's Alzheimer's Disease was in the early stages when I found that balancing a full time job against her increasing needs was no longer sustainable. I had the option to apply for early retirement at age 59 and took it. Although this eased some of the pressure, I wouldn't necessarily recommend leaving work. That's a big commitment for which one gets no thanks. It worked out alright for me but isn't suited to all circumstances.
Yes it is hard to juggle caring and working. I am very lucky. I love my job and have amazing support from everyone at the school I work in. In some respects it gives me a break from my husband and enables me to get a bit of head space to care for him better.