Early symptoms in young onset dementia?

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hello. I have posted before and shared some concerns. I have been very fortunate to have had some good advice from members.
I wondered if anyone would be willing to share (in hindsight), the signs that came before diagnosis (or even before the first GP appointment).
My husband is 58 and struggling greatly at work with tasks. Has always worked and been fairly successful as an engineer but struggling in a fairly new role with tasks such as measuring and processes etc. there have been subtle things at home - such as difficulties with DIY, lack of empathy and being more reliant on me. Had a few weeks where it had fairly much gone out of my mind but some major problems at work this week.
I would really appreciate it if anyone was willing to share very early difficulties or signs. Thank you x

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers at 56 after 2 years of investigations. The main signs that caused her to seek a medical opinion revolved around problems at work, her organisational skills started to deteriorate, particularly time management and prioritising different work tasks with things being missed or not done on time. As things progressed she started to sometimes struggle to find a particular word when doing presentations to students (she worked in a University). About a year after first seeking help her department moved to a new building and the upheavals and additional work pressures of this seemed to exacerbate the problems.

Last edited:

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hello @Andy54.
Thank you for responding and for sharing this detail and I am sorry to hear that this happened so young to your wife (and for you). It really helps to try and work out what may (or may not happening).
I’m so torn one week thinking - why am I thinking that, he is perfectly normal and then something happens and I question this again.
Everything that is of concern, is quite subtle and occasional- other than the changes that seem to impact work.
Really struggling with grasping tasks and steps to tasks, making mistakes and also his response to this (seems a little off kilter). I am trying to encourage my husband to retire early but he is very reluctant as feels he has a lot to give still. I just feel that he is being humiliated though - told to stand aside and not touch anything etc. He remains willing, each time, to still go back for more. As I’ve said before, I just don’t know what (if anything), has changed for him. I said that he should consider not going back after the break and his response is that he had thought about it and if they won’t let him touch anything, he will take a book in to read. It is just not normal reasoning.
I am going to pursue an appointment with the GP as he has finally said he is willing to go back (although this could change).
No blatantly obvious things though that jump out at me to back up my concerns.
Thank you again for responding. X

Bay Tree

Jun 19, 2023
Go with your instinct that things aren't quite as they should be but that doesn't necessarily mean dementia. My husband has Alzheimer's (not early onset) but he is still in his early seventies. Prior to his diagnosis, which only formally happened a few months ago, I kept telling myself it was my imagination. I'd mention my concerns to friends and they'd just laugh and say that their husbands did this that and the other and it was just a 'man' thing. But I felt there was something amiss and had felt that since just before my husband retired from work at 65 years old. He wasn't too bad at DIY back then but those skills began to disappear - his willingness to try was still there but the results weren't - the wonky bathroom blind was the last of his efforts! He increasingly struggled to follow conversations, even with family or friends. I put those things to the back of my mind but he then found it difficult to navigate his way around our bungalow - he said it was all the doors which confused him but that became worse. His concentration seemed to go so whereas he would read the paper and books every day, they seemed to fall by the wayside. There were lots of other small things and I found that I was examining everything he said and did and finding it 'odd'. I think it would be best to go back to the GP and rule out other issues which may be affecting this behaviour and which could be addressed - even if he has previously had blood tests etc, maybe it's time to check again. It could well be that his challenging job and a decline in confidence could be affecting his behaviour. It can't be easy for him if he is struggling with work and perhaps not being able to discuss the issues with his employer. If he feels he is losing respect then I'm sure that would really affect his confidence and affect his motivation and may well have a knock on effect at home or cause depression. It's affecting you as well so please look into it further, otherwise you may spend a long while wondering and imagining things, when things might be OK. Sorry a bit of a long post.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Go with your instinct that things aren't quite as they should be but that doesn't necessarily mean dementia. My husband has Alzheimer's (not early onset) but he is still in his early seventies. Prior to his diagnosis, which only formally happened a few months ago, I kept telling myself it was my imagination. I'd mention my concerns to friends and they'd just laugh and say that their husbands did this that and the other and it was just a 'man' thing. But I felt there was something amiss and had felt that since just before my husband retired from work at 65 years old. He wasn't too bad at DIY back then but those skills began to disappear - his willingness to try was still there but the results weren't - the wonky bathroom blind was the last of his efforts! He increasingly struggled to follow conversations, even with family or friends. I put those things to the back of my mind but he then found it difficult to navigate his way around our bungalow - he said it was all the doors which confused him but that became worse. His concentration seemed to go so whereas he would read the paper and books every day, they seemed to fall by the wayside. There were lots of other small things and I found that I was examining everything he said and did and finding it 'odd'. I think it would be best to go back to the GP and rule out other issues which may be affecting this behaviour and which could be addressed - even if he has previously had blood tests etc, maybe it's time to check again. It could well be that his challenging job and a decline in confidence could be affecting his behaviour. It can't be easy for him if he is struggling with work and perhaps not being able to discuss the issues with his employer. If he feels he is losing respect then I'm sure that would really affect his confidence and affect his motivation and may well have a knock on effect at home or cause depression. It's affecting you as well so please look into it further, otherwise you may spend a long while wondering and imagining things, when things might be OK. Sorry a bit of a long post.
Hello @Bay Tree. Thank you so much for replying and sharing. I am also sorry to hear of your husband’s diagnosis.
I find it more helpful to hear actual lived experiences of the smaller day to day things - such as you have mentioned. It is hard to gauge by just reading bullet points of things to look for on the websites.
So much of what you say about how you felt initially about suspicions and awkwardness in ourselves or from others around even suspecting dementia, makes you reluctant to say it out loud to anyone.
As my husband is agreeable, I am going to ring the GP on Tuesday to make an appointment. I think we need to explore what if anything is happening (even if not related to Dementia, as you say). Thank you ever so much. Take care x

Jake's Nan

Aug 12, 2021
Hello. I have posted before and shared some concerns. I have been very fortunate to have had some good advice from members.
I wondered if anyone would be willing to share (in hindsight), the signs that came before diagnosis (or even before the first GP appointment).
My husband is 58 and struggling greatly at work with tasks. Has always worked and been fairly successful as an engineer but struggling in a fairly new role with tasks such as measuring and processes etc. there have been subtle things at home - such as difficulties with DIY, lack of empathy and being more reliant on me. Had a few weeks where it had fairly much gone out of my mind but some major problems at work this week.
I would really appreciate it if anyone was willing to share very early difficulties or signs. Thank you x
My brother was an archaeologist and once diagnosed with early onset alzheimers aged 58 we read a work report. He was getting lost driving to well known sites, had trouble recording information he'd done for years, made some mistakes that could of been health and safety issue and all this caused extreme anxiety also all during covid times so we didn't see much of him. He was convinced he'd had a stroke of some sort.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
My brother was an archaeologist and once diagnosed with early onset alzheimers aged 58 we read a work report. He was getting lost driving to well known sites, had trouble recording information he'd done for years, made some mistakes that could of been health and safety issue and all this caused extreme anxiety also all during covid times so we didn't see much of him. He was convinced he'd had a stroke of some sort.
Hello @Jake's Nan. Thank you for replying and sharing. I am sorry to hear about your brother and again, so young.
I am sure if I read a report on his few months there, it would not be great (I feel sad about that because he would usually have started there and have worked his way back to supervisor/manager within a year or so).
It’s hard because I keep trying to tell myself to give him the benefit of the doubt, that it is them (one person who trains him as such) and not him but I am not convinced (mainly because I’ve seen struggles he has had with some diy tasks at home).
He has also gradually become a bit more clingy with me over the past few months and other little things.
I think I’m finding it harder to judge as the weeks and months pass, as I’m not sure if I’m just getting more used to the changes in him.
I will definitely push for the GP appointment and go from there. He is really being guided by me but at the same time we go in a circle and he ends up at hoping to carry on working and believing that it is not him, it’s them. Thank you again and take care x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casi