"Dementia's not something you ever think about in your forties" - Mark and Caroline's story

TamsinT

Staff Member
Staff member
Sep 26, 2022

"His personality change…it was subtle. If we'd gone to a GP, they wouldn't have believed it."​

Mark and Caroline Preston sitting on a sofa. Caroline Preston has her arm around Mark Preston's shoulders.

Mark Preston was diagnosed with Frontotemporal dementia at the age of 42. His wife, Caroline, has shared their story with the Alzheimer's Society.

Frontotemporal dementia is a less common cause of dementia in which the first noticeable symptoms can often be personality or behaviour changes rather than changes in memory.

You can read the blog post about their experiences here or watch the YouTube video here.

"We made the vows 'in sickness and in health' when we got married, and that's what I'm trying to do."

Caroline and Mark on their wedding day. Caroline is on the left in a white dress with lace embroidery. Mark is on the right in a white shirt and waistcoat. Both are smiling.

Can you relate to anything that Caroline has shared in the article? Please feel free to comment or discuss your own experiences below.

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
Hi, this is similar to my story. My husband was also diagnosed with Frontal Temporal Dementia. I was in my early 40s and he was mid 50s.
My John is now in a care home 6 years down the line. I tried for a long time to keep him at home with me because his memory of me didn't and hasn't changed at all. We did as much as possible in the first few years to ensure we didn't waste a moment.
Being so young he is 30 years younger than the oldest other resident and that is probably the strangest thing but he gets on with most other residents and enjoys the social that the care home has given him. At home we eventually became quite isolated and restricted in what we could do. Now he always has company and carers that are always available, knowledgeable and what feels like family members and I also have a network of carers and family relatives of other residents who understand around me too.
Everybody's story is unique but sharing definitely helps.

TeacherSue

May 5, 2024
Very similar story to my own although my children are grown up and no longer living at home. It is like having another child to look after and you just hope that you are doing the right thing. So many times I have got it wrong and had to learn from my mistakes. It's like living alone but with someone in the house. I have found that journaling helps. Every day I write down 3 things that I am grateful for and try to find some peace and joy in every day.