Dear Diary!

Eddcorner

I've been posting pretty frequently over the past several weeks and decided rather than start multiple threads I'll follow the example of other members and diary up! I apologise in advance ;)

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
No need to apologise, it is a really useful thing to do. I find reading back through what I've written over the last few years really useful. I was reading my thread about trying to get help for my mum that I started in 2018 and so much has changed since then. I also enjoy reading about other people's experiences, and I think all our threads really help others in the same boat.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
I think it’s a great idea @Eddcorner.

I started my long running thread about my husband in 2009 and only stopped posting on it a while after he died in 2016. It helped me through some dark days. I’m sure you will find it really helpful to have that kind of thread.

Eddcorner

No need to apologise, it is a really useful thing to do. I find reading back through what I've written over the last few years really useful. I was reading my thread about trying to get help for my mum that I started in 2018 and so much has changed since then. I also enjoy reading about other people's experiences, and I think all our threads really help others in the same boat.
Hi @Sarasa

I'm hoping it will help me put me 'stuff' better in perspective. Recording & reflecting on those brighter moments as well as the challenges me and mum have faced along the way.

I've learnt so much in the past eight years and if by any chance it might help others too in some small way that'll be a bonus :) I also hope it will help me reconcile my feelings not just now but at some point in the future at journey's end (fingers crossed not for a long time yet).

Eddcorner

I think it’s a great idea @Eddcorner.

I started my long running thread about my husband in 2009 and only stopped posting on it a while after he died in 2016. It helped me through some dark days. I’m sure you will find it really helpful to have that kind of thread.
Thanks @Izzy :)

It's my attempt I guess to chart some sort of path both for me and mum. I tend to compartmentalise in a psychological sense very well but at this point in our lives I need to set aside the clinician, the researcher, the hard nosed academic ;) and embrace all those perceived vulnerable aspects (on my part) to function in a way that's beneficial to us both in the long run. Gonna be interesting ;)

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
I find my diary really useful although I only update it now and again.
If I have something urgent/important that I want an answer to then I start a separate thread.

Eddcorner

I find my diary really useful although I only update it now and again.
If I have something urgent/important that I want an answer to then I start a separate thread.
I must admit @SeaSwallow it was only after chancing across your diary thread that I chose to take the plunge! And a good heads-up about having separate threads for problem solving :)

Eddcorner

Well mum had been on my case after being frustrated yesterday at not going out, exacting a promise to do it today bar any world ending events!! Oh she knows how to guilt me so well haha, definitely recovered from her recent difficulties on that basis alone ;)

Had plans to travel further but rain sort of got in the way so shopping at Asda sufficed... for this afternoon. Obviously mum eyed up all the 'wrong stuff' (she's on this new regimen of healthy foods now) but I caved regardless... it is Easter and she's has had it rough the previous 3/4days. Rationing? Anyways was much enjoyed. Now we come to the crux of the matter, on our return I discovered after settling mum that my boxer shorts were on back to front! I'm a very organised chap but it took me the best part of eight hours to discover my error. Hmm, think I'll manage ;) Gotta laugh eh?

Eddcorner

Mum's mood so much lighter, has been taking the mick out of me for the past several days, today no exception!! Has had me up and down like a bloomin' yo-yo, laughing at my light hearted complaints. Also suffering through another showing of Star Trek Beyond, running commentary and explanations expected of course ;) I used to be so a sci-fi head, ever watched Clockwork Orange..? Yep, I've been turned! Worth it to see mum so focused though, hmm and she does love to see Kirk fighting. Star Trek Enterprise at 6pm, recording DS9 at 6pm & 7pm for afterwards... At least were on a Stargate break!

Eddcorner

Today. Mum certainly has me jumping through hoops again late afternoon/evening! Sitting down for more than five minutes a luxury... Hmmm, this thread is going to start read like a TV guide - Portable Door, The Conners, Enterprise, DS9. Snubbed crafts, reading, writing, art stuff and has now started hiccups whilst laughing at The Conners. Well she's happy. Seriously taking the mick though and mum knows it, love her when she's this sharp!!

Canadian Joanne

It's good that she can still enjoy the television. Let it ride. One day things won't make as much sense. My mother started saying movies and TV shows were "stupid" because she couldn't follow the storylines. That's when nature programmes of fluffy and attractive animals came in.

Eddcorner

It's good that she can still enjoy the television. Let it ride. One day things won't make as much sense. My mother started saying movies and TV shows were "stupid" because she couldn't follow the storylines. That's when nature programmes of fluffy and attractive animals came in.
I am indeed fortunate @Canadian Joanne, being honest I do like it even more when she rips me though ;) it's good to see that spark as you say. For mum? She now gravitates towards horror/zombie/scary type content in the evenings. Never seen her laugh so much!

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Successful Easter weekend had by mum and myself with picnics held on two successive days :) Listened to Pink and Foo Fighters whilst watching young family play cricket yestetday; today there was an Easter egg hunt in and around the bandstand whilst the sun shone down on us both... There's still tomorrow? Let's go for the hat trick!

canary

Oh @canary !! 😂 I'm so sorry, impromptu giggle surfaced... Attenborough a no no then?
Impromptu giggles are allowed! In retrospect it is quite funny, although it wasnt at the time. You are quite right - after that, Attenborough was a definite no no....
Successful Easter weekend had by mum and myself with picnics held on two successive days :) Listened to Pink and Foo Fighters whilst watching young family play cricket yestetday; today there was an Easter egg hunt in and around the bandstand whilst the sun shone down on us both... There's still tomorrow? Let's go for the hat trick!
Sounds lovely. Hope tomorrow is just as good
😁